Any tips for cruising Oceania (relatively) young and solo?

alaala

While I've been "young" and on Oceania before, it was always with my daughter and we were able to find plenty of fun and safe mischief to get into. Especially on those evenings in port when we'd usually end up in these wonderful out of the way places with the ship's entertainers. I'm doing this next trip solo and I'm looking for any tips on where to best socialize in the evenings, find ways not to be the third wheel at dinner (or have to eat in my stateroom every night), and finding small tours to tag along with (I am using the roll call function, here I'm looking more for the advice or experiences of others that have done this solo, especially in the Baltics.

Any tips are appreciated, I'm rather an introvert, prefer (actually love) hearing other people's stories rather than talking myself, and a real history buff. Daughter has to make her own way in the world now and there are too many places in the world I want to see so I can't wait until she can afford the time and money to be my traveling companero (companion) again! 😊

While I've been "young" and on Oceania before, it was always with my daughter and we were able to find plenty of fun and safe mischief to get into. Especially on those evenings in port when we'd usually end up in these wonderful out of the way places with the ship's entertainers. I'm doing this next trip solo and I'm looking for any tips on where to best socialize in the evenings, find ways not to be the third wheel at dinner (or have to eat in my stateroom every night), and finding small tours to tag along with (I am using the roll call function, here I'm looking more for the advice or experiences of others that have done this solo, especially in the Baltics.

Any tips are appreciated, I'm rather an introvert, prefer (actually love) hearing other people's stories rather than talking myself, and a real history buff. Daughter has to make her own way in the world now and there are too many places in the world I want to see so I can't wait until she can afford the time and money to be my traveling companero (companion) again! 😊

Alaala, I have cruised on both Oceania and Crystal as a solo passenger. Never again on Oceania as a solo passenger. Crystal is 1000 percent better as a single or solo passenger. They have tables for eight with mostly solo or single passengers. The coffee bar is a central meeting place on the ship-easy to meet and mingle with persons. Crystal also has much better entertainment and guest speakers. In addition, they make it clear that they cater to and want single passengers. As an example, they offer a low single supplement to those singles who cruise on Crystal. My recommendation: Don't even think about going on Oceania as a solo or single passenger: In my opinion, Oceania management does everything possible to make it clear that they do want you.

Alaala, I have cruised on both Oceania and Crystal as a solo passenger. Never again on Oceania as a solo passenger. Crystal is 1000 percent better as a single or solo passenger. They have tables for eight with mostly solo or single passengers. The coffee bar is a central meeting place on the ship-easy to meet and mingle with persons. Crystal also has much better entertainment and guest speakers. In addition, they make it clear that they cater to and want single passengers. As an example, they offer a low single supplement to those singles who cruise on Crystal. My recommendation: Don't even think about going on Oceania as a solo or single passenger: In my opinion, Oceania management does everything possible to make it clear that they do want you.

What you say about Singles may be true (I have no experience with that), but the elaborate style of dining on Crystal where there were some venues in which a sub-waiter was assigned only to me, would be my idea of torture if I were travelling alone.

What you say about Singles may be true (I have no experience with that), but the elaborate style of dining on Crystal where there were some venues in which a sub-waiter was assigned only to me, would be my idea of torture if I were travelling alone.

If you are a solo traveler on Crystal, and you ask for a table of 8, they assign you to a table with 8 persons-almost all or all of the 8 persons are single or solo travelers. What do you mean by "sub-waiter?" I have never heard of that term before. Also, why do you post in such large font? Your font size is irritating.

Edited by titong

I'm doing this next trip solo and I'm looking for any tips on where to best socialize in the evenings, find ways not to be the third wheel at dinner (or have to eat in my stateroom every night),

Ask for a shared table. I never felt that singles were third, fifth or even 7th wheels.

It sounds as though the OP has already booked her cruise on Oceania, so there’s not much point in recommending other lines.

I’ve traveled often on Oceania and sometimes solo. I’m not naturally outgoing—and not so young. My advice: Take a deep breath, stick a smile on your face, and exit your stateroom. Join activities, hang out in public places onboard, look approachable, and make some friends. It’s no problem sharing a table in the Grand Dining Room—just request a share, never a table alone. Let every host know your preference for a table for four or six. A table for eight is usually too big for a good group conversation where, if you are quiet, you might find yourself isolated. Sometimes you’ll be seated with couples, other times with singles.

Have a wonderful time!

-Sukey-

Oceania isn't a necessarily single cruise friendly line. They charge a 200% single supplement, and the nightlife isn't active.

As a former solo cruiser, I preferred Celebrity.

My best suggestion is book La Reserve early in the cruise. It's a great venue and opportunity to meet other people given the group table and social environment. They serve champagne outside the restaurant for a meet and mingle prior to dinner.

alaala in beautiful Abigui (spelling? love it but can't spell it!) - I just responded on another slightly off topic but similar thread. It pertained more to doing sightseeing on your own than stuff on-board, but one thought about eating alone:

The Terrace, especially outside, is a good place if you are eating alone, for B, L, or D. I have often seen solo people eating alone there, especially at the tables for 2 along the wall. Whether they had traveling companions on board and were just eating at different times (my spouse and I have done that), were on the cruise alone, or were just eating alone for whatever reason, I don't know. Some had a book or the daily "Currents" paper and some were just enjoying the food and the view, but they didn't look uncomfortable to me. I've eaten there alone many times, although only a few times for dinner. Of course, I am not the most outgoing person in the world, so being alone is not something I worry about very often!

Anyway, see my other post regarding off the ship, and enjoy the Baltic! It's fabulous.

Edited by roothy123

You stated you are a history buff. In that case, you will be a very valued member of an afternoon (usually 4:30 PM) or evening (usually 8:45 PM) trivia team. Although I have not traveled solo yet on Oceania, I have played trivia solo and have met a lot of wonderful people that way.

I've seen comments to the effect that Oceania doesn't value solo travelers a number of times. I don't know whether it's the same two or three people saying this, or whether it is generally felt by those traveling alone.

But on our 12 or so Oceania cruises, I've not felt that. (Admittedly, I'm not traveling alone. I might well feel differently if I were.) I've frequently seen notices in Currents about a singles "mingle", for example. I can't say that it's been on each and every cruise because I wasn't paying close attention to something in which I am not going to participate. But it's certainly been on at least several of our cruises. And I suspect that you could always ask the Concierge about setting one up if you don't see anything ... they clearly know which people are traveling alone, just as they know which nationalities are represented on board.

I admit the usual 200% surcharge is off-putting. But in terms of traveling alone on Oceania I think there are various opportunities for meeting people, and most have been mentioned. Ask to share tables at dinner. Go to Trivia. Go to cocktail hours. I'm the last one to advise others to take the initiative and introduce yourself, but that's a good tactic. In our first cruises (Renaissance back then) we met a lot of people whose company we enjoyed on ship's tours. If you don't want ship's tours, go to the Roll Call and get involved there. When I've set up private tours, I've never turned someone down because he or she was traveling solo.

(I just booked a tour in Charlottetown, Prince Edward's Island, which has a van that carries 11 passengers. Obviously, a van that carries an odd number of passengers might well be happy to have a singleton along.)

And there's always the Meet & Greet if there is one set up on your cruise. If there isn't, why don't YOU take the initiative and try to set it up. I've met a lot of people performing that function.

Have fun!

Mura

I would go with Silversea. On a number of their cruises the supplement for singles is only 25%. On our cruise we met many people traveling single due to the low supplement.

The Cruise critic meet and mingle is a great place to meet people. Silversea puts on a cocktail party for this event(remember alcohol is free) while oceania barely provides space for the meeting.

The key is not to worry about meeting people, just have fun.

I too will be traveling solo and there's lots of good advice here. When it comes to joining others in GDR do you make that request upon entering that evening or have a word with the maitreD or concierge in advance? When I was on Seabourn I let them know in advance that I would like to be seated at "hosted" tables and each day an invitation would arrive to join a table hosted by one or another crew member. Thanks in advance for responses on your experiences.

I too will be traveling solo and there's lots of good advice here. When it comes to joining others in GDR do you make that request upon entering that evening or have a word with the maitreD or concierge in advance? When I was on Seabourn I let them know in advance that I would like to be seated at "hosted" tables and each day an invitation would arrive to join a table hosted by one or another crew member. Thanks in advance for responses on your experiences.

They will know you are a solo cruiser & my friend gets some invites to dine with the staff on some nights

It is open dining so when you arrive at the GDR just tell the Maitre'd you would like to share with others ...now you may get a table with couples but if that bothers you ask if there are other singles

Enjoy

Don't travel solo on Oceania. Some of the suggestions here are good ... like Trivia, but the 24 days I did solo were mostly awful. It was like Noah's Ark ... everything was two by two. Sitting at a shared table with an empty chair and being ignored was not pleasant. You might say it was just me but I've traveled solo in many other situations and had great experiences.

Don't travel solo on Oceania. Some of the suggestions here are good ... like Trivia, but the 24 days I did solo were mostly awful. It was like Noah's Ark ... everything was two by two. Sitting at a shared table with an empty chair and being ignored was not pleasant. You might say it was just me but I've traveled solo in many other situations and had great experiences.

Leslie, excellent advice. "Don't travel solo on Oceania." You have been warned. Let the buyer beware. Oceania is a couples ship: If you are not a couple or traveling with someone else-Oceania makes it clear that we do not want you. The two groups that Oceania is not interested in having are children and solo travelers.

Alaala, you only need to meet a handful of friendly people to have a lovely time. Keep you eyes peeled for some folks who look like they've just met but are nevertheless having a good time. Differences in accent might be a clue.

We've twice been on river cruises where singletons have joined in. Last time we were a group of 6 who'd been on the same flight from Heathrow. Naturally, being mainly Brits we didn't really chat until dinner. We were joined by a quiet single lady from NZ one evening who asked if she could attach herself to our group. She became part of our group from then on. You might need to be a bit outgoing to begin with then sit back and relax and let the others converse. Find a group where several people like talking!

Thank you all for your time and advice. Since I am on Oceania I shall do my best to be a bit more outgoing and hope there are friendly folks that don't mind that odd number at their table. That's the time I'd hate to be alone, otherwise me and a glass of wine at the bar or in the library with a book is good to me.

I have had a group via roll call generous enough to let me take up space on their tour as a single even though they haven't been able to fill that last "odd" slot. I really appreciate them allowing that, so I'm sure there will be some sympathetic folks on board. Maybe even some that will go with me to visit the old Soviet prison in Tallinn.....so far, no takers and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do that one alone although I really want to visit it.

I will also ask the Matrie'D if there are rooms at tables with other singles instead of just being attached as the odd ball to several couples that probably all know each other. Here's a more difficult question, how do I find friends that can afford the travel and time off that I'm fortunate enough to? All my friends are either barely making ends meet or they have kids at home - one of the benefits of having mine so early, I guess, and I highly doubt I have grandma anytime in my near future! So I better get the hang of this solo travel thing pdq :)

Here's a more difficult question, how do I find friends that can afford the travel and time off that I'm fortunate enough to? All my friends are either barely making ends meet or they have kids at home - one of the benefits of having mine so early, I guess, and I highly doubt I have grandma anytime in my near future! So I better get the hang of this solo travel thing pdq :)

You could read the solo forum here & see how others handle travelling solo

Any ladies groups in your communities or look for a travel group that pairs you up with other solo travellers

Enjoy

Alaala I took my first solo cruise last month and had an incredible time; plenty of friendly, warm people when I wanted to be around them and no issues when I didn't. Meals were always enjoyable except for just a couple of awkward times when I couldn't find an empty table at lunch. But then all it took was a smile and a nice "is there space at this table" and no one ever declined. I never sat at a table with singles (not that I think there were any on my cruise) and never felt like odd one out at a table of couples. I also met lots of nice people on shore excursions who often invited me to join them for a meal. If you are friendly and outgoing you are sure to enjoy yourself and will have "the hang of it" in no time.