Increase in DSC?

sc2011

On Facebook today many are posting that they've been made aware by their PCC that the service charge is increasing next week. Has anyone heard anything definitive on this?

I just went into my 3 reservations and it won't let me prepay service charges. It says "We are unable to display this option at this time."

Edited by sc2011

I find it hard to believe from the standpoint that no one on CC has brought it up.

I think I saw a discussion about this a few weeks ago and it was shot down.

I agree. I was shocked - first checked through all of the recent posts here. Didn't see anything so thought I'd post. Someone posted their screen shot from NCL site on facebook. Says prepay for $13.33 per day. Another said they were told by their PCC it's now $15 per day and if you prepay it's $13.33 per day. Who knows!

Being a discretionary charge, it matters little as you can increase or decrease the charge as you feel fit

I found it newsworthy which is why I posted it. I thought others may know if there is in fact a change coming. Some on here (believe it or not) pay the discretionary charge that they are asked to pay. $3 more on a 9 day cruise for 4 people is $108. That certainly matters to some people.

Add Prepaid Service Charges Why is there a service charge?

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $12.00 per person per cruise day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $336.00 for all guests, for your entire cruise.

Total Service Charges: $336.00

ADD PREPAID SERVICE CHARGES

This is for 4 people $84.00 PP

Add Prepaid Service Charges Why is there a service charge?

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $12.00 per person per cruise day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $168.00 for all guests, for your entire cruise.

Total Service Charges: $168.00

This is for 2 people $84.00 PP

ADD PREPAID SERVICE CHARGES

My latest one of Sept 2016 is showing not available

We are unable to display this option at this time.

sc2011, why are you saying "believe it or not"? Some people, DH and I included in that number, prefer to prepay service charges so that we have this expense accounted for in our cruise price. We are platinum cruisers and know many others who choose to do the same thing. We don't disparage those who do not choose to do this; this is our choice. I guess I don't understand why anyone would judge us for doing this.

sc2011, why are you saying "believe it or not"? Some people, DH and I included in that number, prefer to prepay service charges so that we have this expense accounted for in our cruise price. We are platinum cruisers and know many others who choose to do the same thing. We don't disparage those who do not choose to do this; this is our choice. I guess I don't understand why anyone would judge us for doing this.

The OP didn't mean it like that. People remove the DSC. The OP was being sarcastic ... saying "believe it or not some people actually pay it" - meaning them. They pay it. She wasn't judging you.

I'm sorry. I think you missed my point. Ewoodspark said this "didn't matter" since you can adjust it to whatever you want. I was making the point that (whether the poster believes it or not) there are some people that pay the charge - MYSELF INCLUDED! I prepay the amount they ask for. I am with you on this. My point was - it matters to me. If the amount goes up, I need to budget for the extra amount that I will prepay.

Edited by sc2011

Yes, Sissamom, you're right. I misread what she was saying. I know there has been a lot of debate on this forum about prepaying these charges, and I guess I don't understand why it matters to anyone else if people prepay. That's what I thought I was reading here. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I am still seeing $12 per person to day on my three future cruises as well.

I don't know if they are raising the DSC or not. But.....I'm wondering if they'd honor the contract for those that have already booked believing it was $12.00 a day.

Just checked my upcoming cruise and it still is $12.00 per day per person.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

It gives me the option to prepay for my cruise in May. If you prepay it and then it goes up are they going to try to tack on more once you are on board?

I don't know. I started this thread just to see if anyone had definitive information. After seeing 2 separate people post actual NCL screen shots on Facebook of an increase, it made me wonder if it was going up. I budget for my cruises and always like to know what to expect. I'm sure there will be an official statement if/when it ever goes up.

Yes, Sissamom, you're right. I misread what she was saying. I know there has been a lot of debate on this forum about prepaying these charges, and I guess I don't understand why it matters to anyone else if people prepay. That's what I thought I was reading here. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I am still seeing $12 per person to day on my three future cruises as well.

I have read those posts as well. I roll my eyes and move on LOL We prepay as well. I'd rather have it out of the way, than on the bill!

I've only seen $13.33 reported on Gem 10-day sailings. I suspect that's a glitch. That used to be a 9-night itinerary, and was changed to 10 nights for a number of sailings to allow more time in San Juan. If you divide a 10-night amount ($120) by 9, you get $13.33/day.

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but my October 2015 cruise still shows the prepaid DSC option at $12pppd. My February 2016 cruise shows that they are unable to provide the option to prepay the DSC at this time. So if it's going up, maybe it's going into effect 2016? It's been the same for ages, so it's due for an increase, although I'm surprised if they are going up 25% all at once.

I agree. I was shocked - first checked through all of the recent posts here. Didn't see anything so thought I'd post. Someone posted their screen shot from NCL site on facebook. Says prepay for $13.33 per day. Another said they were told by their PCC it's now $15 per day and if you prepay it's $13.33 per day. Who knows!

These have always been longer cruises that have been entered wrong in their database, so it's always been a human error that has been fixed. These happen once in a while.

Edited by Demonyte

I've only seen $13.33 reported on Gem 10-day sailings. I suspect that's a glitch. That used to be a 9-night itinerary, and was changed to 10 nights for a number of sailings to allow more time in San Juan. If you divide a 10-night amount ($120) by 9, you get $13.33/day.

Exactly this. Has happened before and probably will occassionally happen again in the future too.

Logged into our NCL account, check our upcoming cruise next month and at T-44 days, it computed to still the "current" suggested daily prepaid rate of $12 p/p per day for pax 3 years & up.

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $12.00 per person per cruise day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $168.00 for all guests, for your entire cruise.

If NCL is going to raise it, they will raise it. Going from $12 to $15 p/p per day x 2 or 3 per cabin = means cut back on 1/2 cocktail/drink per day each, LOL. The service team is on the lower tiers of the corporate chain - like everything else, consider it COLA due across the board. Afterall, retirees got increases and many employers are giving raises to employees - not all, not many but some ... One of our local diner just raised their evening special by 50%. :eek: Just find a way to "convert" some of those extra savings from the latest promo to "give" back to the hard-working crew members (better than giving it to the new CEO & senior management team ... okay, OT & another thread started on it)

Edited by mking8288