Increase in DSC?

sc2011

Another bit of misinformation continues.

It is NOT a Discretionary Service Charge it IS a Daily Service Charge!

Although it's called DSC here, NCL's website only refers to it as a service charge (sometimes capitalized, sometimes not).

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

It's discretionary. You can adjust it however you see fit.

And while it can be adjusted, I hope no one does this lightly or without attempting to have problems addressed. The crew rely on the service charge.

Edited by jplain

Another bit of misinformation continues.

It is NOT a Discretionary Service Charge it IS a Daily Service Charge!

Whatever the name it can be adjusted at the passenger's discretion. In fact NCL simply calls it a service charge:

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

We have always paid the $12 each and not even thought about it. We usually tip bar servers a bit as well. Butler and concierge if appropriate.

IF, and that is a big if.... they move to $15... I am think it is time to bring the word DISCRETIONARY into play.

I've definitely noticed the pre-pay option coming and going (I originally thought it was a work computer vs home computer glitch) and remember seeing somewhere on the site something about ~$13 a day instead of $12 (I believe I saw $13.50 but don't quote me) but it is no longer there. Perhaps they are updating the web page to reflect new information and parts of the new text were sneaking through?

I know this will evoke some strong feelings and comments, but those who feel the increase is not justified can reduce their contribution back to the figure they feel is right.

One question that has not been addressed here is---- Are the other cruise lines raising their rate also ??

If not, this could be a costly mistake for NCL.

Edited by swedish weave

One question that has not been addressed here is---- Are the other cruise lines raising their rate also ??

If not, this could be a costly mistake for NCL.

I'm not so sure. Even if the other lines aren't raising their service charges, NCL's prices are so consistently competitive/low that even a hike of $3 a day (some reported seeing $15/day - I think it will be less) shouldn't price them out of the market in any way. I'd actually applaud giving the hardworking staff a raise (I think it's been at least 5 years), though perhaps I'm in the minority.

I actually asked NCL when I called them today about something completely unrelated, as we weren't able to select to prepay for the 2016 cruise we just booked. The girl I talked to said that there are rumors circulating that it will be going up, but she wasn't able to confirm anything or give me a price of any sort.

Just to settle this once and for all, it is in fact a Discretionary Service Charge see this link under "is there a service charge?": http://www.events.ncl.com/faq/

Just to settle this once and for all, NCL uses both terms about equally across their published information, you can just as well find examples of opposite - so the link above doesn't mean anything.

I had the same issue when I went to prepay on My NCL. I had to call them to pay over the phone. I'd do it now, just in case they up the cost.

But, if they do up it, we would likely have to pay the difference once on board, I would think.

I'd be amazed if they get you to pay extra on board if you prepay it now.

Interestingly enough, while it quotes $13.20 per person, it adds up to the $12/day per person (this is for 2 people on an 11 day cruise)

It sounds like the same glitch as mentioned above: your cruise is 11 days but for whatever reason they are dividing the total service charge by 10.

I'm sure the service charge will increase at some point, but for now it's still $12/day.

I prepaid my Getaway March 7, 2015 tips when I booked my cruise online, but I just went to look at the page again, even though I prepaid, here is the blurb if you mouse over the "why is there a service charge"

Service Charges: We are confident that you will enjoy your Freestyle Cruising experience and that our entire crew will provide you with the standard of service for which we are known. A $14.00 discretionary service charge will be automatically added per guest per cruise day (for guests three years and older) to your shipboard account for all staterooms. This charge will be shared among those staff members, including the restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and other behind-the-scenes staff who provide services that enhance your overall cruise experience. If you have any concerns about the service you receive during your cruise, please let our Guest Services Desk staff know right away so we can address any issues in a timely manner.

while on my page for the Escape T/A in October, I just prepaid lastnight my DSC lastnight, and it still says 12.00 / pp . Hmmmmmm

I have no problem paying even $15 pp pd the staff goes out of their way to help you havea great time. I also tip the staff extra that go way above the call of duty!!

Edited by Chrispyuno1

I've only seen $13.33 reported on Gem 10-day sailings. I suspect that's a glitch. That used to be a 9-night itinerary, and was changed to 10 nights for a number of sailings to allow more time in San Juan. If you divide a 10-night amount ($120) by 9, you get $13.33/day.

I think you're right. There are other glitches with that sailing as well. The itinerary is missing a sea day when you try to book it.

I wouldn't pre-pay just for the sheer possibility of not making the cruise. That just makes another thing you have to try and get refunded. I don't see any advantage in paying that before the cruise. If you have to cancel, hopefully you got insurance and that will cover the cost of the cruise, in the event you need to cancel.

I also don't get people that say "so they can have the cost of the cruise already covered", etc. If you can calculate the total DSC, just expect to have at least that on your credit card, at the end of the cruise. Or go to Guest Services and have it reduced (if it winds up being something higher than you thought, for example, $15 pp and you still want to pay $12pp, or for any other reason you want to pay less, or nothing). Remember, you don't have to pay that. It's not like your passage rate or any of the myriad of various taxes they add on.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

I know this will evoke some strong feelings and comments, but those who feel the increase is not justified can reduce their contribution back to the figure they feel is right...

Exactly. If they raise it on my cruise next week, I'll go have readjusted to the pre-booked "agreed" upon rate. If they raised the price before I booked then I would have no problem paying it. But changing it after final payment seems like dirty pool to me.

There is an advantage of prepaying DSC for canadians because if you book in $CA you prepay DSC in $CA. If you pay onboard you will be charged in $US.

The NCL exchange rate is blocked when you book. I have two cruise at 7.5% exchange rate and one at 16.3% while the current exchange rate is around 28%. I save money if i prepay DSC except if the exchange rate would drop lower to what it was when i booked.

My DSC would be 15.36$CA(28%) if i pay onboard while it is actually 12.90$CA (7.5%) or 13.95$CA (16.3%) if i prepay.