Increase in DSC?

sc2011

Oh i forgot to say that if you cancel, you don't even have to ask for refund the prepaid DSC, it is automatic ! I Know, I did cancel one with prepaid DSC, prepaid shore excursion and prepaid OBC etc... Everything was quickly refunded (7 business days).:o

I prepaid all of these because of the better exchange rate. But i cancelled and rebook to get UDP and UBP :D

I personally feel that a raise not warranted and will decease my daily fee to $12 if this is the case. NCL's dining experience doesn't compare to other mass market cruise lines with traditional dining times that I find to have better service. This is just my opinion and YMMV.

Just to settle this once and for all, NCL uses both terms about equally across their published information, you can just as well find examples of opposite - so the link above doesn't mean anything.

I think the fact that NCL uses the term discretionary at all to describe the charge means quite a bit actually. I agree that both terms are sometimes used by NCL, but the fact that they do use the term discretionary is I believe the major issue. I think we all agree that this is a service charge that is assessed daily.

The following link uses the wording "discretionary daily service charge" seems clear enough to me:

http://www.ncl.co.uk/freestyle-cruising/latitudes/terms-and-conditions/

I seen this post over on the fb pages and was wondering about it as well.

I checked mine just now and it was still the $12 charge for the cruise I have booked in June.

dsc_zpsk8pslfsv.jpg

I have seen people say it's not changed (unless some glitches for the Gem and other longer cruises), but then again, why would it be changed yet is what I'm wondering? If it's going to be changed "in the near future", they wouldn't have it on our accounts quite yet right?

I wonder what will happen when it goes up for those that have prepaid? Will they have to pay an additional amount once they board the ship? I can see a lot of angry people if so.

I seen this post over on the fb pages and was wondering about it as well.

I checked mine just now and it was still the $12 charge for the cruise I have booked in June.

dsc_zpsk8pslfsv.jpg

I have seen people say it's not changed (unless some glitches for the Gem and other longer cruises), but then again, why would it be changed yet is what I'm wondering? If it's going to be changed "in the near future", they wouldn't have it on our accounts quite yet right?

I wonder what will happen when it goes up for those that have prepaid? Will they have to pay an additional amount once they board the ship? I can see a lot of angry people if so.

I don't think those that prepay will have to pay the difference. I think this because I had prepaid for ocean blue way back when and the price had gone up before my actual cruise. They honored the price I prepaid and did not make me pay the difference.

Harriet

For the first time that I've cruised with NCL, I pre-paid the DSC. Does it show up anywhere on our documents that it is pre-paid? Or even in My NCL cruise summery? I thought when doing this on line that it said that I would get a confirmation in 24 hours, but have not received anything. I guess I need to call up my PCC regarding this, unless someone has an answer for me how I can have proof that it was pre- paid in writing. Thanks, Carol

I think the fact that NCL uses the term discretionary at all to describe the charge means quite a bit actually. I agree that both terms are sometimes used by NCL, but the fact that they do use the term discretionary is I believe the major issue. I think we all agree that this is a service charge that is assessed daily.

The following link uses the wording "discretionary daily service charge" seems clear enough to me:

http://www.ncl.co.uk/freestyle-cruising/latitudes/terms-and-conditions/

This is the correct quote if you are from the UK and are booking through the UK NCL site. However, if your from the U.S. those terms are not the same. I'm from the U.S. and those terms are not the same, also, this is from the Latitudes section of the website.

The legal terms and conditions for the UK are oftentimes quite different than for us. They have different rules and protections that in some cases are better and in other cases not so much.

Edited by rvsullivan

So what if you prepay the DSC and then you have a horrible service experience onboard?

Can you remove it and get a refund?

If not, it's yet another reason not to prepay.

You should always leave yourself the option to reduce the DSC if you run into a staff that hasn't earned it.

For the first time that I've cruised with NCL, I pre-paid the DSC. Does it show up anywhere on our documents that it is pre-paid? Or even in My NCL cruise summery? I thought when doing this on line that it said that I would get a confirmation in 24 hours, but have not received anything. I guess I need to call up my PCC regarding this, unless someone has an answer for me how I can have proof that it was pre- paid in writing. Thanks, Carol

You'll get on updated cruise confirmation. The DSC shows in the cruise costs (left-hand side), then as a payment on the right-hand side

Honestly to me it doesn't matter if the DSC increases before I book or after I book.

If certain people on board are still paying $12, I am going to adjust mine down to $12. The DSC is supposed to be a service charge, and there's no reason I should be paying more tips for the exact same service from the exact same crew, just because I booked 2 months later than someone else.

So if this increase really occurs, if my research shows that some on board will be locked into a $12 rate, then I will also adjust mine down to $12.

With that said, I am in the camp believing that this recent "increase" on certain sailings was just a glitch.

You'll get on updated cruise confirmation. The DSC shows in the cruise costs (left-hand side), then as a payment on the right-hand side

My PCC just sent me a new Guest Confirmation which has the Pre-paid DSC on it. Thank you for your response. Carol

The DSC is supposed to be a service charge, and there's no reason I should be paying more tips for the exact same service from the exact same crew, just because I booked 2 months later than someone else.

There is a reason, which is that when people book their cruise, the cost of the DSC is stated. For example, it is stated on my cruise confirmation.

I agree that it isn't ideal if different people are being charged different amounts, but that is the case anyway, where different people pay different prices for the cruise itself, depending on when they booked. It's just one of those things that happen in the real world.

Having said that, I'm sure you wouldn't be the only one adjusting it, and I imagine NCL will be quite prepared for a number of people making the adjustment.

There is a reason, which is that when people book their cruise, the cost of the DSC is stated. For example, it is stated on my cruise confirmation.

I agree that it isn't ideal if different people are being charged different amounts, but that is the case anyway, where different people pay different prices for the cruise itself, depending on when they booked. It's just one of those things that happen in the real world.

Having said that, I'm sure you wouldn't be the only one adjusting it, and I imagine NCL will be quite prepared for a number of people making the adjustment.

I understand that, but I don't think it's justified to where certain passengers are expected to pay more in TIPS just because they booked later than others.

Fare? Yes.

Tips? No.

Everyone should be paying the same DSC for the same service.

I will adjust mine down if that's not the case.

I agree that it causes a problem with people being charged different amounts, but I'm just saying that I don't think it can be avoided, unless they announce now that it will be increasing for cruises starting in 2017, for example.

Actually, there is a very easy way. Once they decide, let's say for example, to go from $12pp to $15pp. Then have it apply as they open new cruises for booking. That way, anyone who books those cruises, from that point on, would be subject to the new DSC Rate, and make sure to make that a prominent note when going thru the booking process.

And of course, as previously mentioned, one would still have the option of lowering or removing it, with a simple visit to Guest Services while on the cruise.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

Actually, there is a very easy way. Once they decide, let's say for example, to go from $12pp to $15pp. Then have it apply as they open new cruises for booking. That way, anyone who books those cruises, from that point on, would be subject to the new DSC Rate, and make sure to make that a prominent note when going thru the booking process.

And of course, as previously mentioned, one would still have the option of lowering or removing it, with a simple visit to Guest Services while on the cruise.

Yes, that's what I meant by applying it to cruises from around 2017.

The last time it went up was January 1, 2009. For at least several months prior to that (no idea exactly how long), NCL's website blurb about the service charge specified that the daily charge was $10, and also noted that it would be going up to $12 on sailings leaving as of January 1.

(If I recall correctly, that was also when parents started having to pay the full service charge for children over 2. Prior to 2009, children ages 3-12 were assessed a service charge that was half of what adults paid.)

So it seems like it's going up $2 or 16% or $3(25%). Regardless, everyone on board works crazy hours and if it helps them all make a little better life for their families I am ok with that.

Decreasing your DSC is just...well....crazy and kinda selfish

Edited by BrPanthers99

(If I recall correctly, that was also when parents started having to pay the full service charge for children over 2. Prior to 2009, children ages 3-12 were assessed a service charge that was half of what adults paid.)

See now, if I were in that position, sailing with kids 3 to 12, I'd reduce the amount on the DSC for them, via Guest Services.

Decreasing your DSF is just...well....crazy and kinda selfish

Maybe a little selfish, maybe not. But crazy, c'mon. Anyone who reduces or removes the DSC has their own reasons and who are we here to judge. Maybe they really got bad service. Maybe they could barely afford the actual cruise rate and all the mandatory taxes/port fees, so dropping the discretionary item allows them to take a loved one or their family on a nice vacation. The published DSC can add up to a big chunk of change.

Maybe they could barely afford the actual cruise rate and all the mandatory taxes/port fees, so dropping the discretionary item allows them to take a loved one or their family on a nice vacation. The published DSC can add up to a big chunk of change.

If one can't afford to pay they DSC, then they shouldn't be on a cruise. The DSC is pennies when compared to everything else. The crew work hard for what little they get out of the DSC.

See now, if I were in that position, sailing with kids 3 to 12, I'd reduce the amount on the DSC for them, via Guest Services.

Maybe a little selfish, maybe not. But crazy, c'mon. Anyone who reduces or removes the DSC has their own reasons and who are we here to judge. Maybe they really got bad service. Maybe they could barely afford the actual cruise rate and all the mandatory taxes/port fees, so dropping the discretionary item allows them to take a loved one or their family on a nice vacation. The published DSC can add up to a big chunk of change.

Reducing the service charge because of bad service received is justifiable. Reducing it because you didn't budget for it, not so much. Kids receive the same amount of service as adults, if not more. Whether we like it or not the service charge is the crew's bread and butter, similar to tipped staff in a shore side restaurant. I wouldn't think of eating a meal and walk away without leaving a tip and I wouldn't think of cruising without leaving the service charge intact.

(And for perspective I ate out for breakfast and dinner one day and the tips came to $9.50 per person and we aren't talking fine dining, either. So for all of the service that we receive for $12 it's quite the bargain.)