CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

That's a great idea. Perhaps Bayonne Joe will read this and offer some suggestions. For all the driving I've done between Mass and NJ, I've been lucky to never have had a bad problem. AAA did what they promised to do - change the tire, so that issue was solved. I just didn't know where to go to get a tire repaired quickly. I had the grand tour through northwest Bayonne into Jersey City. Not visually the most comfortable place to roam the streets. But folks were nice and it all worked out in the end.

The Celebrity Summit is on a Sunday-Sunday schedule through it's October cruises. I wonder if there's anywhere open on a Sunday to get this type of work done? That would also be a great thing to know.

I trust Firestone to patch a tire (I'm not affiliated with them). They look close to the port:

372 Broadway 374

Bayonne, NJ

(201) 844-6864

Sunday hours (currently) are from 9-5. :)

I see a few other shops in the area but know nothing about them.

Edited by Cruisin'4Us

I trust Firestone to patch a tire (I'm not affiliated with them). They look close to the port:

372 Broadway 374

Bayonne' date=' NJ

(201) 844-6864

Sunday hours (currently) are from 9-5. :)

I see a few other shops in the area but know nothing about them.[/quote']

This is great. Thanks for the info.

That's a great idea. Perhaps Bayonne Joe will read this and offer some suggestions. For all the driving I've done between Mass and NJ, I've been lucky to never have had a bad problem. AAA did what they promised to do - change the tire, so that issue was solved. I just didn't know where to go to get a tire repaired quickly. I had the grand tour through northwest Bayonne into Jersey City. Not visually the most comfortable place to roam the streets. But folks were nice and it all worked out in the end.

Hello, Carol. Sorry for your trouble. I wish I could have directed you elsewhere. One poster has mentioned the Firestone. They are the closest to the port, perhaps a five minute or so ride to Broadway and 17th Street. For anyone interested, make the left out of the port onto 440 and then a quick right onto 34th Street. Over the bridge and up two lights is Broadway. Make a left and then down to 17th. And except for gas stations, they are pretty much the only game in town on a Sunday. DW (Maisey) and I are still amazed they haven't done anything about the some of the roads at the port, especially that one stretch of about a 1/4 of a mile where it is just one lane back and forth. They probably aren't going to do much with the lots themselves, at least for a while with the new garage being built.

Hello, Carol. Sorry for your trouble. I wish I could have directed you elsewhere. One poster has mentioned the Firestone. They are the closest to the port, perhaps a five minute or so ride to Broadway and 17th Street. For anyone interested, make the left out of the port onto 440 and then a quick right onto 34th Street. Over the bridge and up two lights is Broadway. Make a left and then down to 17th. And except for gas stations, they are pretty much the only game in town on a Sunday. DW (Maisey) and I are still amazed they haven't done anything about the some of the roads at the port, especially that one stretch of about a 1/4 of a mile where it is just one lane back and forth. They probably aren't going to do much with the lots themselves, at least for a while with the new garage being built.

Hi Joe, thanks for the info. I did not see any sign of the new garage being built. Where are they building it?

Thanks.

Edited by CruisingChick

The new garage is an empty dirt lot next to the arrival/customs area right now. There was a back hoe on it.

Firestone sounds great. Unfortunately I didn't see it when I searched. The AAA Guy suggested Pep Boys on route 440. I just gave up when I saw the Dodge dealer and took refuge in there.

My car repair skills are really marginal. Basically they consist of turning my car over to the dealer and telling him to fix it or having my son or husband come along to represent me. My old car died in Jan and I felt very lucky to immediately find a dealer certified car with 18,000 miles that had all the features I wanted and was less than my budget.

Hello everyone. My wife and I will be Celebrity Summitt on June 12, 2016 to Bermuda. I know it is early, but I like to book early to assure access to what I want. I also know booking is not open past June 4, 2016 at this time.

I usually stay in Marriott/Renaissance properties when I travel. I note that Newark Airport has several choices. Any comments about these Marriott brand hotels would be appreciated. We would stay 1 night pre-cruise and are not interested in going into New York. Any insight into airport to hotel or hotel to port transportation and back to airport would be helpful as well. Thanks. Bob

Hello everyone. My wife and I will be Celebrity Summitt on June 12, 2016 to Bermuda. I know it is early, but I like to book early to assure access to what I want. I also know booking is not open past June 4, 2016 at this time.

I usually stay in Marriott/Renaissance properties when I travel. I note that Newark Airport has several choices. Any comments about these Marriott brand hotels would be appreciated. We would stay 1 night pre-cruise and are not interested in going into New York. Any insight into airport to hotel or hotel to port transportation and back to airport would be helpful as well. Thanks. Bob

What is your hotel budget?

Meg will tell you all about the Marriott properties at the airport. All the airport hotels have free shuttles which you get by taking yourselves and your luggage on the Airtrain to the P4 stop.

None of the Marriott properties offer a port shuttle. You would have to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo for $55-65. All airport hotels, except for the properties on Glimcher Realty Way, are isolated with no place to go - no non-hotel restaurants and no stores. Free breakfast usually means no restaurant in the hotel - it's takeout or walk to a nearby hotel property.

Aloha all :D,

I started reading Fizzlewicket's review of his first cruise out of CL that includes scans of the Cruise Compass for 9 days and pictures of the ship. I found it facinating and he is not finished posting this. I have bookmarked it and am posting the link to it for those who want to see it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2223424

I'm still trying to learn as much as I can about the ship and the ports we'll be visiting.

BTW Carol, the superintendent of WWII Valor in the Pacific National Monument Paul Deprey was recently reassigned to be superintendent of two parks, Salem Maritime and Saugus Iron Works National Historic Sites in Massachusetts. Many people here believe that he was the cause of the problems at the WWII Valor in the Pacific National Monument like the free tickets not being available to the walk-in visitors.

There was speculation that he was responsible for the distribution of the tickets to tour companies for inclusion in their expensive tour packages as well as the lack of maintenance to the park.

The acting superintendent for 4 months is a young lady from Hawaii who was one of the supervisors at the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park with a good track record who apparently is being groomed to be a superintendent at one of the NPS parks. She was previously acting superintendent in 2013 of Puuhonua O Honaunau and Kaloko-Honokohau on Hawaii Island before returning to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.

I hope your Massachusetts parks don't suffer the same problems we did under Paul Deprey's tenure. I don't understand the rational behind simply transferring this guy rather than firing him unless it is the NPS policy not to fire underperforming employees.

Aloha :D

We are staying at a Marriott property near the airport in September for a LOS cruise to Bermuda. I'm leaning toward the Renaissance since I'm Gold and we get a free breakfast, plus it's overall a nicer property. However, we will have a car to get around, if needed (driving up from Maryland then parking at the port). An alternative is the Courtyard Newark Elizabeth. It is right next to Jersey Gardens, a large outlet mall, which would be walkable and provide easy access to stores and dining.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps.

Aloha :D,

If the ship docks at 7am, and we are not dragging our luggage around with us, what time do we get off the ship? Do you request a time or are you assigned a time?

Is the MDR open for breakfast or the Windjammer? Is room service available on debarkation day?

Aloha :D,

If the ship docks at 7am, and we are not dragging our luggage around with us, what time do we get off the ship? Do you request a time or are you assigned a time?

Is the MDR open for breakfast or the Windjammer? Is room service available on debarkation day?

Everyone gets assigned a time. On our sailing there was no sign up for self disembarkation and no special times for Diamond Plus, Diamond, etc. I walked off the ship around 8 am and the luggage area was already half full of luggage but they were not letting folks claim it yet.

What I don't remember is the time you were supposed to be out of your cabin. It's usually around 8 am.

Both the MDR and the Windjammer were open for breakfast. No room service.

There was a constant stream of folks coming off the ship all morning.

Hello knowledgeable ones.

We are a family of 5 coming in from York, PA on 7/29 for a 7/30 departure on Liberty of the Seas. We stayed at a Courtyard near Glimcher Realty Way last time we did this (in 2012), but that does not seem to be available this time around. What would you recommend? We are fine with parking at the port for the duration.

Thanks.

Hello knowledgeable ones.

We are a family of 5 coming in from York, PA on 7/29 for a 7/30 departure on Liberty of the Seas. We stayed at a Courtyard near Glimcher Realty Way last time we did this (in 2012), but that does not seem to be available this time around. What would you recommend? We are fine with parking at the port for the duration.

Thanks.

Rooms for 5 are a problem. What is your budget? What route are you coming in on? What kind of bed configuration do you need? It's a Wed night, so prices will be higher.

You might do better staying 45-60 min from the port in a more suburban area.

Thank you 138East and MerryLand Cruiser for your responses. I am fortunate in life not to have a particular hotel budget in mind. I believe the Renaissance has a hotel restaurant in it, so I suspect we will use it for our food needs if we stay there. I was hoping someone who has stayed in it recently would respond. Am interested in receiving information on how close it is to the runway for noise issues, quality of the staff and restaurant, etc. I will also look at the Courtyard property mentioned by MerryLand Cruiser.

I anticipated using a car service to get to and from the port, so thanks for the information on those as well. I will research them. Happy Cruising!

Just got an email that the Embassy Suites EWR (also on Glimcher Realty way) now offers a park n cruise package that includes round trip transfers.

The Embassy Suites Newark Airport is located just 11 miles from the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Our all-suite property will provide the perfect location to start your cruise vacation. Some benefits include complimentary vehicle parking for the duration of your cruise, complimentary airport transportation and roundtrip transportation to Cape Liberty Cruise Port. The Embassy Suites Newark Airport also provides a complimentary breakfast buffet with made to order eggs and omelets along with an evening manager's reception daily.

We're located within walking distance to The Mills at Jersey Gardens, an outlet mall, for any last minute vacation shopping before you sail away. Come start your cruise vacation with all the conveniences of the Embassy Suites Newark Airport!

Choose the PARK, RIDE and CRUISE rate...and rates vary..

Using July 15th, which is before the 9 night Liberty departure, the rate is 249 plus tax making it around 300 bucks for the room, parking and transfers...

Thank you 138East and MerryLand Cruiser for your responses. I am fortunate in life not to have a particular hotel budget in mind. I believe the Renaissance has a hotel restaurant in it, so I suspect we will use it for our food needs if we stay there. I was hoping someone who has stayed in it recently would respond. Am interested in receiving information on how close it is to the runway for noise issues, quality of the staff and restaurant, etc. I will also look at the Courtyard property mentioned by MerryLand Cruiser.

I anticipated using a car service to get to and from the port, so thanks for the information on those as well. I will research them. Happy Cruising!

It's across 1/9 from EWR and I noticed no real noise but I am one who actually LIKES to hear planes..

The restaurant was mediocre at best and the service was NOT good...

It's not as nice as many Renaissance hotels....if I were you, I'd stay at the CY or Res Inn on Glimcher Realty Way..

I don't mind the renaissance, but it's a pain in the arse to get around and you're basically trapped there...at least on the other side, near Jersey Gardens, you have a couple other choices of places to dine, and the outlet mall...

(Marriott Platinum for Life..)

Thanks for the information on the Renaissance Hotel megr1125. It appears that my wife and I will not be arriving in Newark until the afternoon based on current flight schedules. We would cruise the next day.

I looked at the other Marriott properties you mentioned and also went to the shopping center web-site for a look at that facility. I think my wife and I will probably just "shelter in place" upon our arrival and look forward to our embarkation day on the Celebrity Summitt to Bermuda. We have almost all of the same stores listed on the mall's website at our local mall and we are used to Renaissance and Marriott Hotel properties so that is probably what I will book. The rates listed at this time seem reasonable considering the hotel's proximity to New York and the time of year we are going. Happy Cruising!

Thanks for the information on the Renaissance Hotel megr1125. It appears that my wife and I will not be arriving in Newark until the afternoon based on current flight schedules. We would cruise the next day.

I looked at the other Marriott properties you mentioned and also went to the shopping center web-site for a look at that facility. I think my wife and I will probably just "shelter in place" upon our arrival and look forward to our embarkation day on the Celebrity Summitt to Bermuda. We have almost all of the same stores listed on the mall's website at our local mall and we are used to Renaissance and Marriott Hotel properties so that is probably what I will book. The rates listed at this time seem reasonable considering the hotel's proximity to New York and the time of year we are going. Happy Cruising!

It's not a bad place...just not as "Renaissance-y" as you may be used to... And I haven't been in the Full Service Marriott in a while.....so if all you want to do is crash....that should be OK then...

Rooms for 5 are a problem. What is your budget? What route are you coming in on? What kind of bed configuration do you need? It's a Wed night, so prices will be higher.

You might do better staying 45-60 min from the port in a more suburban area.

Carol, sorry about your tire problem.

Did you notice any thing regarding wheel chair parking (Car)

Thanks

Dick

Mari said Hi.

Carol, sorry about your tire problem.

Did you notice any thing regarding wheel chair parking (Car)

Thanks

Dick

Mari said Hi.

Hi Dick and Mari,

Unfortunately I didn't see the wheel chair parking. Perhaps someone else has used it and can describe there experience. There was a shuttle bus however.

In the old lots (as opposed to the yet-to-be-constructed lot) I just pointed to our hang tag and I was directed to a spot close to the gate, And this was after I let the DW off with her scooter.