Komodo Island and Kangaroo Island on Australia Cruise

We have signed up for the Circumnavigation of Australia cruise with HAL in Oct 2015. They have not put up any of the shore excursions on their website yet so I am wondering if others have information of the shores excursions and their costs. We are looking at private excursions and they are expensive so I assume that HAL's are even more expensive. Thanks for any help.

We have signed up for the Circumnavigation of Australia cruise with HAL in Oct 2015. They have not put up any of the shore excursions on their website yet so I am wondering if others have information of the shores excursions and their costs. We are looking at private excursions and they are expensive so I assume that HAL's are even more expensive. Thanks for any help.

Australia is an expensive place to visit due to our wage structure however with the USD being so strong against our AUD now, a lot of that expense with have been eroded. Try TripAdvisor and Viatour for suggestions and also tour companies. :D

We are looking at private excursions and they are expensive so I assume that HAL's are even more expensive

I doubt you will find "private" tours of Komodo - it is a National Park and the rangers give guided tours (on foot). You will need to tender onto shore and there is a small area by the wharf with a few stalls but you need to go into the forest on the paths to see the dragons - and to do that you need to be accompanied by the rangers who carry a forked stick as "protection" (thankfully we never saw it in use!).

One point I'd make and that reinforced to us - no blood on those going ashore.... - so no open wounds or even menstruating passengers. The instructions were very specific on that as the dragons are attracted by blood. I don't mean to alarm you or anything but it is worth being aware of

I haven't done it on HAL, but on Crystal is was not an expensive excursion - and I'd certainly recommend it to see these unique creatures. The track is a good one, even surface and no steps - so even if you had limited walking capability I believe you could still undertake the walk

We boarded in Fremantle last year on Volendam so can only help with Kangaroo Island - Penneshaw.

As per ship's excursion list 2014 -

Kangaroo Is 4WD Safari - 9 hours - $579.95 adult (6 guests per vehicle). - Seal Bay + Flinders Chase National Park + Admirals Arch + BBQ lunch.

Seal Bay Discovery - 4 1/2 hours - coach tour - Seal Bay - $156.95 adult

Epicurean Kangaroo Island - 4 1/2 hours - sightseeing, wine and food tasting - $299.95 adult.

Kangaroo Island Art and Wine Culture - 4 1/2 hours - $159.95 adult.

We did the ship's excursion Seal Bay Discovery and loved it. We actually walked onto the beach near the seals - not too close though. Lots of seals interacting and some cute pups. We also went to a eucalyptus distillery and plenty of photo opportunity stops. The driver was a local and told of lots of interesting stories and information.

We were lucky as we were on one of the last tenders that were allowed to go ashore (it was a bit rocky/windy). It was deemed in the best interest of safety due to the heavy seas to suspend tenders for a while.

I know of some that prearranged to hire cars. As the island is very sparsely populated and with few services, if you decide to hire privately I would book very early.

There was a lady on the cruise last year across the Pacific as well as the circumnavigation who did a great blog via last year's roll call for the Volendam.

We visited Komodo Island with HAL in December 2012 and at that time the price of thise shore excursion was $114USD. HAL would only allow you off the ship if you had booked one of their tours OR if you had proof of having prearranged a tour privately.

Another CCer organised a group tour privately and it was either cheaper or similar than HAL's price plus it was all day and included lunch. HAL's was only a few hours and no food, maybe a bottle of water.

She had documentation that they would be met at the tender pier and that they would be guided by a park ranger etc.

I am not sure of the details of the company but if you google you may have successs in finding something.

Can't help with HAL Komodo Island tours.... sorry... but can with RCCL we are on Rhapsody of the Seas in April and the pricing for ships tours are 4 hours Kampung Komodo and Pink Beach trip ...no mention of dragons... AU$156.00 pp and Komodo Dragon Adventure... 2.5hrs .. AU$115.00pp.

A private tour with Putrikomodo.com according to our roll call has recently increased in price this was part of an email to a fellow cruiser ......

"Well, since the Indonesian government announced an increase of the entrance fee 350% for the National Parks throughout Indonesia as well as Komodo National Park in March 2014, and which will be charged since January 2015, therefor we make change in accordance with the increase in the price of the tour

Price in March 2014 trip includes dragons, pink beach and lunch..... 16+ people USD69.00pp .. today 11-20 people USD135 pp ..... just a little increase:eek::eek: .....and..... you will need to pay US$10 camera fee or US$20 video fee for paparazzi rights ........:D

Hope that gives a little bit of an insight....... i'm off to the zoo :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Can't help with HAL Komodo Island tours.... sorry... but can with RCCL we are on Rhapsody of the Seas in April and the pricing for ships tours are 4 hours Kampung Komodo and Pink Beach trip ...no mention of dragons... AU$156.00 pp and Komodo Dragon Adventure... 2.5hrs .. AU$115.00pp.

A private tour with Putrikomodo.com according to our roll call has recently increased in price this was part of an email to a fellow cruiser ......

"Well, since the Indonesian government announced an increase of the entrance fee 350% for the National Parks throughout Indonesia as well as Komodo National Park in March 2014, and which will be charged since January 2015, therefor we make change in accordance with the increase in the price of the tour

Price in March 2014 trip includes dragons, pink beach and lunch..... 16+ people USD69.00pp .. today 11-20 people USD135 pp ..... just a little increase:eek::eek: .....and..... you will need to pay US$10 camera fee or US$20 video fee for paparazzi rights ........:D

Hope that gives a little bit of an insight....... i'm off to the zoo :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Be careful, those dragons know how to charge:rolleyes:

We were on the HAL Australian Circumnavigation cruise last year.

We booked the first Komodo Island 2 hour Trek, which began at 7.30 am, US$119.95 per person, there was also a shorter walk offered which we would book another time. Sorry do not know the price for that one.

Was pleased I took an umbrella to use as a parasol, as well as a sunhat, as for us, it was very hot, even at that time of the morning. We took water with us, the guides offered bottled water before the trek and at about halfway through the trek.

Edited by erewhon

..and although they look as if they just sit still all day, when they want to , they can move pretty fast indeed ....:eek::eek:

Interestingly, their method of attack is to ambush, charge and bite which infects the victim with a bacteria filled anticoagulant/venom which gradually weakens them to the point of exhaustion. A bit gruesome really.

Edited by MicCanberra

Interestingly, their method of attack is to ambush, charge and bite which infects the victim with a bacteria filled anticoagulant/venom which gradually weakens them to the point of exhaustion. A bit gruesome really.

:eek::eek: off to purchase some high powered high magnificated (is that a word) binoculars to dragon watch from the ship:p:D

Edited by badgerbill

:eek::eek: off to purchase some high powered high magnificated (is that a word) binoculars to dragon watch from the ship:p:D

I wouldn't worry about that, just bring a goat with you when you trek.:p

Edited by MicCanberra