Just off 3rd trip the Oasis. Total lack of wow

rt1092

There is absolutely no thread on this forum, ever in its history, that is serious compared to real world issues. This ain't UNICEF.

Maybe the Costa Concordia thread.

Well obviously! Just don't see how changes can ruin an entire cruise. Someone mentioned 2ply tissue and a mint. Lol really a mint

You can't fix stupid. He could obviously see my mother-in-law was in a wheel chair.

To tell us to look upstairs was rude to me.

Hopefully you will have a better time on the Quantam. Ive heard of the different drink prices at each bar.

Sorry the downstairs part was full, I am sure they were being kind they cant ask someone else who is already there drinking to move upstairs.

Edited by trev71

These boards, this world of cc always makes me chuckle. [emoji57]

Experienced cruisers... Your former glory days of titanic-era elitist cruises are over! Move on to Azamara and save us a gripe-fest! Just because you're diamond plus pinnacle you cruised your whole life and deserve everything for free attitude isn't being satisfied shouldn't mean you should poo poo an incredible ship and staff. After all it's all your freebies, free drinks here, free OBC there, price drop here balcony discount there that creates the need for royal to consistently reevaluate their budget, cut corners and ways to pet the kitties and keep them satisfied.

I am the new face of cruising. I am diamond and I could give two poos about it! I still buy the beverage package (no mixed up drink prices there!) and don't plan to use the lounge. I cruise to get away from it all. To enjoy the hard work of hard-working people and not view them as just the help, rather people who are dedicated to ensuring I have a nice vacation. I don't sit around and gripe about different priced drinks or mediocre food. What are you expecting? If something on land can do it better I think we'd all prefer you to stay on land and keep your bad attitude on land as well! Us young cruisers see this behavior on the ship and laugh. We laugh at you and your terrible attitudes and then high five the bar tenders we've made an actual connection with as you leave with your bad attitude.

I'm headed on Oasis next week for the second time, fourth time on oasis class and each time seems to get better and better. Can't wait for my incredible mediocre vacation to begin and pray to God that there's no whiners to bring us all down!!! Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the above..Well said.

I just don't understand why all of the people that claim they don't care about what they receive versus what is advertised, or don't care about having amenities reduced, are even posting in this thread at all.

If you don't care about service and amenity standards why participate in a thread that deals with those topics?

Some of us do care about those items and welcome OP's post as "news from the front line" so that we can know what to expect in the future. And while there are more expensive and less expensive options out there, RC isn't exactly cheap and we all have the right to expect standards between what is advertised and what is delivered.

I think that too many of the "Don't care, not worth mentioning" crowd have effectively let RCI slip in their standards. People like OP hold them to their standards. Good for OP!

Lowly emerald here diamond next cruise.

Came off the Oasis last week. Agree with OP, it lacked WOW.

Was also disappointed. found it to be a vegas resort that floats. Lines everywhere, crowds in every lounge, fights for chairs, agitated consumers. IMHO, its just too big.

So I will return to the Navigator class as I booked on board. For me that's the sweet spot in size.

Doesn't mean others wont Love the Oasis.

Edited by Zákamenné

We need to demand standards, or things will continue to slip! Just telling people to move to another line, is part of the problem. We stopped Dynamic Dining and we CAN pressure (by our $$$$) to stop its present course and return to a company of high standards & regard to long time passengers.

Respectfully disagree. When people start moving away it'll hit them where it really counts, the bank account. To continue to pay for cruises to RCL, then return home & complain on message boards.... won't.

I just don't understand why all of the people that claim they don't care about what they receive versus what is advertised, or don't care about having amenities reduced, are even posting in this thread at all.

If you don't care about service and amenity standards why participate in a thread that deals with those topics?

Some of us do care about those items and welcome OP's post as "news from the front line" so that we can know what to expect in the future. And while there are more expensive and less expensive options out there, RC isn't exactly cheap and we all have the right to expect standards between what is advertised and what is delivered.

I think that too many of the "Don't care, not worth mentioning" crowd have effectively let RCI slip in their standards. People like OP hold them to their standards. Good for OP!

I would like to point out that service "standards" can be very subjective. The amenities on the other hand, I believe are a privilege that RCL bestowed on us with the understanding that they may change at any time. We knew the changes were coming when we received the survey.

The only thing I would agree in the OP comments is the fact that he was charged for the same drink differently depending on the bar. That needs to be fixed.

Edited by nednrom

I care about service & standards. Big time. And when I see that a cruise or a cruieline does not meet my expectations, I'll move on to another. I'm entitled to participate in any thread on cruise critic as long as I state my position within the guidelines.

With this I agree. I've only been on three cruises w/ RCL and have always recv'd what has been advertised. And when something failed to meet the advertised standards, RCL has come clean and corrected the charges.

And I think the standards are better than expected, not overwhelmingly fantastic, but simply better than I expected. To get upset because of lack of pillow mints, not being able to squeeze into a private room for a free drink and/or the many other reasons that one complains about is such a waste of precious time at sea. Swetting the small stuff leads to frustration and the tarnishing of one's overall experience and memories. To sail on open waters, visiting multiple destinations while floating on a RCL Cruiseship is just such a great thing to do and to be able to do. To attempt to claim it to be a 5 star floating hotel is fool's gold for the pricing structure that's in play these days.

FYI

Loyalty Cruisers who are Diamond and above are not the target market for RCI and other lines. Look at what they do, not at what they say. Are Royal's newest and biggest ships geared towards the family or the long term loyal cruiser who likes a more refined and elegant experience?

Ripcord by IFLY

Rock climbing wall

Flow Rider surf simulator

Pool Deck Movie Screen

Bumper Cars

Roller skating

Basketball Courts

Circus School

North Star

H2O Zone

Dreamworks Experience

Adventure Ocean

I will continue to argue that the cruise demographic have changed and the continued loss of loyalty benefits, exclusive spaces, and the the lack of loyalty incentives is a clear sign that RCI is after a different market. The Middle Class Family is a much larger and growing market. Makes sense to me.

We are also coming at this from a different perspective. We started cruising when our children were young teens. Although we continued to travel on land vacations on our own, our family vacations were usually on a cruise ship and loved every minute of it. We are now both retired and of course, our children grown. We have continued cruising on our own throughout the years and predominately on Celebrity which we still enjoy. They too, have changed, but that's wishing for the good 'ole days'. While we certainly want our money's worth, especially on a fixed income, we realize there is a "new demo", the young family that was us once! As a couple we have more recently traveled on Azamara ( loved but too expensive), Cunard and of course mainly Celebrity. We are back to RCCL first on the Quantum in April and then with our 7 year old grandson in June on the Oasis! We have read all the positives and negatives on the board but are hoping for a wonderful experience! Wish us luck! We love the generosity of the people on CC and hope to introduce our grandson to the wonders of cruising....let's all not lose sight of that. How lucky are all of us to have this well earned type of vacation?

I think you have it bang on. Last year we sailed the fantasy and I kept reading these threads were people complained about the shuddering and shaking in the mid-aft cabins . The claimed their vacations were ruined, they could sleep etc.etc,etc. I was absolutely terrified that we had dumped a large chunk of money on a family vacation and it would be terrible. Well, when I got onboard I could feel the shaking if I was lying completely still on the bed and I completely focused on trying to feel it. My husband and I laughed so hard that we worried about it before our vacation . I really think a lot of people just focus on the negative. Honestly I'm glad because reading the negative reviews keeps me grounded. I'm expecting the worst meal of my life at chops so with expectations that low it is bound to be a little better lol.

Thanks for your comments and added information to my original post, as well as added humor at the end.

We've eaten at Chops 5 times and have yet to have anything less than a stellar meal there....so don't lose too much sleep over it. :)

As for all the negativity...the fact that we're at 10 pages of posts based on the original rant complaint is actually getting to be the norm. Sad in so many ways. Luckily, its so much more worthwhile spending one's time reading the many reviews at this site that detail and point out all the great onboard opportunities, photo ops, port excursions...and information of that nature that actually does help fellow cruisers. Happy cruising.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

You seem to be implying that anyone who has had a different experience than the OP "doesn't care" about standards, and that's simply not true. I think I have very high standards and expectations, but I found very little to criticize on the Oasis less than three months ago.

I think there's room for everyone's opinions on this thread. Just as the OP's experience shouldn't be dismissed, neither should the more positive experiences. Someone being happy with the product they received doesn't mean they're a cheerleader, nor does it make them any less discerning than the person who found fault in many areas. No one's opinion is right or wrong -- it's their perception based on personal likes and dislikes as well as previous experiences and expectations.

Edited by Cindy

You seem to be implying that anyone who has had a different experience than the OP "doesn't care" about standards, and that's simply not true. I think I have very high standards and expectations, but I found very little to criticize on the Oasis less than three months ago.

I think there's room for everyone's opinions on this thread. Just as the OP's experience shouldn't be dismissed, neither should the more positive experiences. Someone being happy with the product they received doesn't mean they're a cheerleader, nor does it make them any less discerning than the person who found fault in many areas. No one's opinion is right or wrong -- it's their perception based on personal likes and dislikes as well as previous experiences and expectations.

There are numerous posts in here outright belittling and dismissing OP. Yours is not amongst them. My post was aimed at those with nothing to contribute other than telling OP to quit whining.

. No one's opinion is right or wrong -.

Post something, anything, negative about your cruise experience and you will quickly find out just how wrong your opinion is to some people around here. It will then be followed by the canned response "RCI is just not for you. Best of luck in finding another cruise line" or something real similar. :)

Well in all fairness, the OP stated the folowing after a laundry list of dissatisfactions...

This was our 4th trip on this class, and our last unless they come up with an almost free cruise.

It's as if the loss of the "wow" factor would be acceptable if the price is right. Like almost free. That's where the OP lost me. I mean it basically states that expectations were not met so in order for me to do this again, I want better for much less. That isn't happening in any product and/or service of any kind that comes to mind.

With that, Peace Out to all and enjoy your cruise!

Post something, anything, negative about your cruise experience and you will quickly find out just how wrong your opinion is to some people around here. It will then be followed by the canned response "RCI is just not for you. Best of luck in finding another cruise line" or something real similar. :)

Or the ever popular "We don't go on a cruise for..."

-the ship

-gambling

-drinking

-art auctions

-ports

-food

-spending time in the cabin

-sitting by the pool

-meeting people

-family events

-comedy shows

-Broadway shows

-variety show

-nice staff

...so why complain about any of them. [emoji51]

Generally speaking, I've been able to post my opinions and walk away relatively unscathed, especially when you consider how much I've posted over the years. I usually try to present both the good and the bad, but I won't hesitate to state that something was amiss if I thought it was. The two exceptions to my unscathed status were:

1. We really didn't like our second HAL cruise. Even my 80+ year old mother was bored on the ship. Several people didn't take too kindly to my opinion!:eek:

2. I once had the audacity to suggest that a land trip and a cruise could be very similar in price, depending on personal choices. I was immediately informed that I have no idea what I'm talking about!:rolleyes::p

It won't do anybody any good to tell me to find a different cruise line...I'm not brand loyal, and I never will be!

Edited by Cindy

it's really not that serious compared to real issues in the world. Lol

Instead of hanging out on a site that deals with "real issues" of the world you hang out here and then belittle what is talked about. That makes about as much sense to me as the issues being talked about here make to you.

You cruise for your reasons other people will cruise for theirs and whether or not you understand or care about those reasons is rather immaterial.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Or the ever popular "We don't go on a cruise for..."

-the ship

-gambling

-drinking

-art auctions

-ports

-food

-spending time in the cabin

-sitting by the pool

-meeting people

-family events

-comedy shows

-Broadway shows

-variety show

-nice staff

...so why complain about any of them. [emoji51]

That is so true!!!!!;):cool::eek::rolleyes:

Instead of hanging out on a site that deals with "real issues" of the world you hang out here and then belittle what is talked about. That makes about as much sense to me as the issues being talked about here make to you.

You cruise for your reasons other people will cruise for theirs and whether or not you understand or care about those reasons is rather immaterial.

I don't think I've belittled anyone. I was just making a point that there are basically more things worth worrying about than a mint on my pillow. The fact is that some people will complain no matter how good or bad the service is. The fact is sometimes there is nothing you can do to please some people. If the op had a bad time I'm sorry to hear that but don't put all the blame on the cruise line because that's ridiculous

To all the pom pom wavers. Get a life.

I never stated once that we had a bad cruise. I stated it was not up to expectations. The oasis commands a larger price than most of the other ships. So I expect it to be done right. After 34 cruises with royal I know what I expect. And royal failed to deliver.

I have every right to post my opinion on here. Whether you agree or not.

I just took a hour filling out my online survey, and I hope royal acts on it.

All you that think their only market is going to be "families" I hope (and know) you are mistaken. What are they going to do when the kiddies are in school? Give me a Jr suite on a 4 night Liberty cruise for $324 pp. in December

But in your narrow minds you can't think it is about anything but you.

Edited by rt1092

I never stated once that we had a bad cruise. I stated it was not up to expectations. The oasis commands a larger price than most of the other ships. So I expect it to be done right. After 34 cruises with royal I know what I expect. And royal failed to deliver.

All you that think their only market is going to be "families" I hope (and know) you are mistaken. What are they going to do when the kiddies are in school? Give me a Jr suite on a 4 night Liberty cruise for $324 pp. in December

I hope the cruise lives up to your expereinced expectations and that it's almost free!

I agree!

I had a great time on my Allure cruise last year, despite the worst cabin steward in history, and a very sub par dining experience. The overall vacation was great, it was better than being at work, but the little things do start to add up to make it less than a perfect cruise. Coming back after a long day and finding that the cabin steward hadn't swapped my disgusting duvet for a new one (requested 12 hours earlier), when all I wanted to do was crawl into bed, was irritating. Having to make three phone calls, including one to a supervisor to complain, and wait almost an hour for the new bedding was beyond irritating. The stewards on my other cruises have been great, so I'm sure the one on the Allure was the anomaly. Let's hope. :confused:

Edited by Cruzin-K

Delete

Edited by awhcruiser

It seems that the more cruises a person has under their belt, the more of a whiner and complainer they become. When the wonder and amazement of the sea and cruising itself wears out and you focus on mints and "free" hors doeuvres on a ship where food is free for everyone, it's time to move on.

We need to demand standards, or things will continue to slip! Just telling people to move to another line, is part of the problem. We stopped Dynamic Dining and we CAN pressure (by our $$$$) to stop its present course and return to a company of high standards & regard to long time passengers.

DD was postponed, not stopped and they didn't need you to tell them to do that - they figured it out themselves (it was that obvious).

The math simply does not work in terms of providing all the ammenities long time cruisers were used to. The initial transformation of the C&A program from # of cruises to # of nights will be followed by a point system like Celebrity has to further limit the number of high perk members while at the same time decreasing those perks.

It is not colusion when you see that other lines are doing the same - it's just competition.

The C&A perk says you get a lounge at D and above - it doesn't promise you what you will get in the lounge or the size of it. Complain all you want but that ship has sailed.