Just off 3rd trip the Oasis. Total lack of wow

rt1092

1) They in fact do both have huge capital expenditure tied up in equipment for carrying passengers. All of which must be planned well in advance (can't just pick up something off the rack as Planes and Ships R Us), amortized over a number of years, periodically refurbished, and used as much as possible.

2) Those expensive pieces of machinery require a certain load factor for a profitable trip. If seats on a plane are available at the last minute, they're now more likely to have some sort of special deal to fill them than in older times.

3) Both offer multiple tiers of service. First Class comes with more perks at a price, main cabin has fewer frills but is a better deal.

4) Both offer loyalty programs specifically tied to the number, distance (days or miles) and booking type purchased.

5) Both can and do offer upgrades based on availability and company loyalty.

6) Not all people fly because they need to. Unless you define "Need" as "go too far to drive in a reasonable about of time." I define "Need" as "my job is making me." I don't "Need" to fly to Vegas in March, but it's more convenient than driving.

7) Mother nature can ruin the day for either one.

Could go on and on...

I wouldn't think you could take the CEO of an airline and hire them to be CEO of a Cruise Line without a learning curve, but my guess barring other factors is an airline CEO could do a far better job more quickly at a Cruise Line (or vice-versa) than the CEO of an Insurance Company, Retailer or Package Delivery Company.

I suspect that you knew the meaning of my post. Airlines are in the transportation business and they tend to have people over a barrel who need to fly to get somewhere. Cruise lines are in the business of providing a vacation experience. People don't need to take a cruise any more than they need to take a vacation that involves any traveling. The services that the two industries need to supply in order to attract customers is vastly different.

And I also suspect you knew what I meant when I said people fly becuase they need to. Most people I doubt book a flight just to take a flight. Usually they fly as a means of getting to another activity that they are planning on whether it be work, vacation, etc. And, yes, my definition of need is that it is too far to reasonably drive... or walk.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I suspect that you knew the meaning of my post. Airlines are in the transportation business and they tend to have people over a barrel who need to fly to get somewhere. Cruise lines are in the business of providing a vacation experience. People don't need to take a cruise any more than they need to take a vacation that involves any traveling. The services that the two industries need to supply in order to attract customers is vastly different.

And I also suspect you knew what I meant when I said people fly becuase they need to. Most people I doubt book a flight just to take a flight. Usually they fly as a means of getting to another activity that they are planning on whether it be work, vacation, etc. And, yes, my definition of need is that it is too far to reasonably drive... or walk.

I wouldn't call it a vacation experience for a lot of RCL cruisers, it's more of a lifestyle.

Why do people constantly compare cruise lines to airlines? People fly because they need to. Flying is not the primary reason for taking a trip. All the two industries really have in common is that they both operate very expensive pieces of machinery that move and they both want to make money.

You are correct, they are not comparable. One is a vacation destination and one is a mode of transportation only. Nothing to compare at all.

I know what you mean, I just disagree.

I just hit US Airways website : plan your 2015 Summer vacation now. United : Set off on an exciting Winter Adventure. Southwest : Save up to $100 on sunny Florida packages. Whether you have to fly or want to in order to get someplace else, airlines want you on their planes and not somebody else's.

Repeatedly, and on a fairly regular basis.

Which I'm sure Cruise lines want as well.

I just hit US Airways website : plan your 2015 Summer vacation now. United : Set off on an exciting Winter Adventure. Southwest : Save up to $100 on sunny Florida packages. Whether you have to fly or want to in order to get someplace else, airlines want you on their planes and not somebody else's.

All that shows is that airlines will be happy to help you book a package to include, for example, hotel and car rental. Oh, and they will take the resulting commission. You know cruise lines will be happy to book your flights, yet cruise lines are not in the aviation business:rolleyes:. They are nevertheless very different businesses, and therefore, tend to have different loyalty program designs.

your father flew a lot for work, and presumably the business paid the bills (while also inputting on the when and where of his many flights). now he is retired, and he flies far less (selecting his destinations, his own timing and paying his own way or using up accumulated miles, I presume). His leisure flights in retirement more closely resemble the booking dynamic of cruise lines than did his hefty bisiness travel schedule. that that old airline FF program does not serve your father as well at leisure as it did in business is actually a strong argument for the cruise industry having a substantially different loyally program.

Silly comparison. Advertising, duh. Not the same at all.

Are the services different in the two industries? I suppose. But do you really not see the similarities between the two, as they pertain to the topic at hand? i.e. frequent customer benefits. The airlines' most profitable customers are the business travelers who fly all the time, and the airlines fight hard for those particular pax, and offer multi-tiered loyalty programs to keep them....much the way Royal (and other cruise lines) have done with their own loyalty programs. And right now the frequent flyer world is all abuzz with very similar complaints as are being seen here. In one particular forum I frequent, there are currently lots of top tier elite level flyers complaining that airlines are changing their program benefits and business models to make more money (imagine that?!) and in doing so are taking away perks from loyal frequent flyers.

OK, I've really tried to read through this muddled mess of squabbling, but what I was really looking was this: We just hit diamond member and have completed one cruise so far while with the diamond status on Navigator. We had a great time. The diamond lounge they used extended out to the bar area in the viking crown lounge. It was never really crowded, but now we're booked on Oasis in April. Is what everyone saying is that there is one designated area for Diamond, Diamond+ and Pinnacle? Where is that located on the ship.? I also, understand that there is a designated menu for the 3 complementary beverages you can get at other lounges (meaning you can't just order anything) it must be from that limited menu?

Belle - the Diamond Lounge is on Decks 11/12. It is the former Concierge Lounge. Hence the confusion. The 3 drink coupons are available almost anywhere and are loaded on your seapass. They must be the same type you can get in the lounge. For example, no frozen drinks and no big foo foo drinks. Basic cocktails and house wine and basic beers.

Our sailing out of Montreal docking at Fort Lauderdale is scheduled to dock at 6:00 a.m. There is one non-stop flight to San Francisco leaving FLL at 10:20 a.m. I know the airport is very close to the cruise port and wonder about gambling and booking that flight. We are not adverse to handling our luggage ourselves but wonder what everyone thinks about booking this flight. Trish

Our sailing out of Montreal docking at Fort Lauderdale is scheduled to dock at 6:00 a.m. There is one non-stop flight to San Francisco leaving FLL at 10:20 a.m. I know the airport is very close to the cruise port and wonder about gambling and booking that flight. We are not adverse to handling our luggage ourselves but wonder what everyone thinks about booking this flight. Trish

If you are on Oasis or Allure, and don't mind carrying off your own bags, and are using the FLL airport, then barring any delays, you can be at the airport before 7am.

On the other hand, if you are on Liberty, I would not be comfortable with a flight that early.

Edited by clarea

I'm anticipating few problems for that cruise, if any. We'll have already cleared customs in Maine, so I don't see why there should be any delays at all. I'm looking at flights around noon or one, just to spend a little extra time with my Mom and have flights that work for both of us. If I was by myself, I'd be booking one for 10 a.m. no problem. Getting off Allure NOT carrying my own luggage was problematic (never again will I sail on that ship, but that's for another thread), but the Serenade has half the number of passengers. Easy Peasy.

If you are on Oasis or Allure, and don't mind carrying off your own bags, and are using the FLL airport, then barring any delays, you can be at the airport before 7am.

On the other hand, if you are on Liberty, I would not be comfortable with a flight that early.

What about Serenade, coming from Canada via Maine? :D

So about that concierge lounge (Oasis) that now houses diamond, diamond+. Is it also still the concierge lounge as well? Anyone have any pictures of it?

No, it is now called the Diamond Lounge. Suite guests have their own lounge up in the Viking Crown area.

About the different cost of drinks, some bars don't have the same "house brand"(Viking crown and Schooner for example used different house vodka). This was most likely the cause of that or at least it was the case on Allure. Sorry if this was already brought up but didn't go through all 17 pages.

So about that concierge lounge (Oasis) that now houses diamond, diamond+. Is it also still the concierge lounge as well? Anyone have any pictures of it?

The is no more "concierge lounge" per se, on Oasis. The old C.L. is now called the Diamond lounge and is for D, D+ and P guests. There is a new suite lounge for suite and P guests. Not sure what they've done with the old Diamond lounge that was above the promenade.

The is no more "concierge lounge" per se, on Oasis. The old C.L. is now called the Diamond lounge and is for D, D+ and P guests. There is a new suite lounge for suite and P guests. Not sure what they've done with the old Diamond lounge that was above the promenade.

They were going to turn them into cabins, but I am not sure if that has actually happen.