RCL Negativity...

COCKYMARK

I think the mediocrity comment was fine. I wasn't offended in the least. Maybe the poster thinks RCI is mediocre. One person's mediocre is another's exceptional. It's okay to have an opinion.

Since I am new to cruising I am genuinely interested in how RCI has gone downhill. Is it primarily the food, or have other areas suffered? I am wondering how it used to be. Thank you to anyone who can tell me how RCI has changed.

I've been with RCCL since 2006 and if I take our Quantum experience out of the equation I couldn't point to any changes that would be indicative of a downhill trend. We've been quite happy with them and have never had any reason to shop elsewhere.

But our April cruise on the Oasis is just around the corner so I'll know soon enough whether things be a changing or not:D

As others have said, cruising is a subjective experience. For example; many people prefer "Freestyle," or "My Time" dining options, and hate formal nights. For me, getting dressed up, and being in the main seating for dinner are among my favorite aspects of cruising.

Also, experiences vary widely - even on the same ship. I swore I would never return to a particular ship after a bad experience. (My first cabin was not habitable - I'll spare you the details - and the crew didn't seem to care that I had nowhere to settle in. Once they finally changed my cabin, my key stopped working about twice a day, my portfolio and C&A info never transferred over, etc.) Some time later, I had an opportunity to cruise that ship for free, so I did. Same ship, same crew, same amenities, totally different experience. That second cruise was one of my best ever.

I'm thrilled ANY time I can be on a ship. There are things I miss about the "old days," but I also enjoy things they didn't offer back then.

As for "why the negativity," some people just aren't happy if they're not complaining.

I don't easily accept mediocrity. I always sail Royal Caribbean and always book a suite. I am always amused by people who book a cruise for as little money as possible and then complain that cruising is not as luxurious as it once was. As long as Royal Caribbean keeps upping their game regarding the suite program I will stay loyal.

We generally sail in JS or above, as well.

One example of one of the more recent changes is that (as of last month or two depending on the ship), they have replaced the wine in the Diamond and Concierge wines with $3 a bottle "Tisdale" wines. I'm paying upwards of $300 a night, per person, for a Grand Suite and you're offering me access to a $3 bottle of wine as a "perk"? Ok.

I think if you have gotten to a point in your life where you can consistently say that any type of vacation can be considered mediocre, it's time to take up a new hobby. I mean, really. There have definitely been things about cruises that have made me disappointed. Our last Carnival cruise we had a terrible room steward. It bummed us out a little to not get anything we asked for from him for the entire 7 days. But it was still better than being home not on vacation.

Vacation is supposed to be about letting GO of the cares that you have to hold onto in your everyday life. Are you so pampered from day to day that a few mistakes or a few fewer amenities makes an entire vacation? Really? Maybe get rid of some of the luxuries in your every day life and pay for a more luxurious cruise line and things will be better for you. For me, not having to do my own cooking, cleaning, or drink mixing will be perfectly acceptable no matter what line it's on.

You missed the boat, so to speak.

I was referring to the fact that overall quality has suffered with prices remaining stagnant and now the overall product has become mediocre. You'd never find me complaining about being on a cruise or little incidents that may or may not happen onboard. I'm not a nit-picky person, but there's some major changes that you can't help but notice... Which goes back to my point, people either ignore it/accept it or don't.

We've never had a bad cruise, love the feeling of being on the ocean, love leaving everything on land behind and love the aspects of cruising that you can't get with a land resort, but I'm not going to pretend it's some high end luxury experience like other places we travel to on land.

As others have said, cruising is a subjective experience. For example; many people prefer "Freestyle," or "My Time" dining options, and hate formal nights. For me, getting dressed up, and being in the main seating for dinner are among my favorite aspects of cruising.

Also, experiences vary widely - even on the same ship. I swore I would never return to a particular ship after a bad experience. (My first cabin was not habitable - I'll spare you the details - and the crew didn't seem to care that I had nowhere to settle in. Once they finally changed my cabin, my key stopped working about twice a day, my portfolio and C&A info never transferred over, etc.) Some time later, I had an opportunity to cruise that ship for free, so I did. Same ship, same crew, same amenities, totally different experience. That second cruise was one of my best ever.

I'm thrilled ANY time I can be on a ship. There are things I miss about the "old days," but I also enjoy things they didn't offer back then.

As for "why the negativity," some people just aren't happy if they're not complaining.

Probably not the same crew actually the crew changes pretty regular, some may have been the same and some different, lke any workplace a small turnover can make a bg dfference and lets be honest on any given crew we only actually deal with a small % of the total crew.

One example of one of the more recent changes is that (as of last month or two depending on the ship), they have replaced the wine in the Diamond and Concierge wines with $3 a bottle "Tisdale" wines. I'm paying upwards of $300 a night, per person, for a Grand Suite and you're offering me access to a $3 bottle of wine as a "perk"? Ok.

The offerings in the concierge and diamond lounges can be a bit bleak. I stick with the cheap Scotch and beer.

Did you see the bottle? It's your choice when you pick your cabin.

Edited by awhcruiser

I was referring to the fact that overall quality has suffered with prices remaining stagnant and now the overall product has become mediocre. You'd never find me complaining about being on a cruise or little incidents that may or may not happen onboard. I'm not a nit-picky person, but there's some major changes that you can't help but notice... Which goes back to my point, people either ignore it/accept it or don't.

We've never had a bad cruise, love the feeling of being on the ocean, love leaving everything on land behind and love the aspects of cruising that you can't get with a land resort, but I'm not going to pretend it's some high end luxury experience like other places we travel to on land.

I agree. I love cruising, and have never had a "bad" cruise but the last two just weren't up to the standard they used to be.

Remember when returning cruisers had a gift waiting in the cabin when you boarded? I still have my embroidered Sovereign of the Seas tote bag.

Remember Ship Shape dollars that you earned by participating in fitness activities and could trade them in for prizes at the end of the cruise? I think I got a lanyard with mine.

Remember cabin stewards who, without fail, greeted you with a smile, remembered your name, always asked how you were doing and if there was anything else they could get you?

My steward on the Allure seemed to hate his job, and did it poorly. When I have to stay awake an extra hour and make three calls to housekeeping including a call to the supervisor, just to get a clean bed to sleep in, that's a problem.

Remember waiters, assistant waiters ready to serve you a fabulous dinner promptly? Now there are just overworked grumpy waiters and assistant waiters. On the Jewel, we had to ask for bread every night and most nights the assistant waiter brought the bread basket about 20 minutes into the meal :rolleyes: The waiter gave us the wrong orders most nights as well, and then stood there and argued that you really did order that dish. We repeatedly had to ask for coffee after dinner, and a couple times it never showed up.

There were a lot of things to like about the Jewel and the Allure, but service by the staff wasn't one of them. From what I understand, cabin stewards now have more cabins each to service, and waitstaff have more tables than they used to. RCI has cut back on the number of staff, while cramming more people onto the ships by adding cabins and taking away public space.

I can't really speak about changes in the Diamond/Concierge lounges because I've only had access to the CL one time, courtesy of my cabin mate being D+ and a friendly concierge who graciously allowed me into the CL when I was with her. I must admit, the CL on the Allure was a nice place to sit and chit chat with fellow CCers before dinner :D but now the Allure/Oasis CL that I liked so much doesn't even exist anymore. I'll be Diamond after my next cruise, but time will tell if I continue to sail with RCI as much as I have. The missing gifts and crowded lounges won't be the deal breaker, but surly staff will.

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for a couple of fabulous cruises on the Serenade. My previous cruise on that ship is still my favorite RCI cruise, and it's my favorite ship :)

Edited by Cruzin-K

Did you see the bottle? It's your choice when you pick your cabin.

Yes... I ordered a glass and it was terrible so I asked what they had changed the wine to and she brought the bottle. It's the new house wine fleet-wide. They stock it at Publix for $3.59.

What you are referring to choosing is either the D+ small bottle of wine gift or the two bottles of wine you can bring onboard. Neither of which are what I am talking about.

The negativity comes from 'people negative'....that is how they live their life. There are two types of people: those that see the glass as half full and those that see the glass as half empty. It is the same glass, filled to the exact same amount....it is the perception they have.

I am not putting on rose colored glasses here.....yes things have changed on cruise ships, and many people who are negative complain about what was and isn't now.....or how the changes that cruise lines make they are just unhappy with.

I enjoy cruising....I enjoy waking to the soft feeling of the wafting ocean under my bed...and hopefully 'far under my bed' (since I am on deck 7 or above usually). A great night sleep in a cabin on a ship is better than a great night sleep in almost any hotel....except an unusual vacation on land.

We vacationed twice in Israel (total land vacation). Stayed in wonderful hotels....the accommodations were not as nice as on a ship. The sights and touring was magnificient -- but it was a different type of vacation for a different experience. And through it all -- I missed that feeling of the ocean wafting under my bed -- I can't get that on a land vacation.

Wait, you mean that like every other business that has ever existed ever, anywhere that RCI has to choose between raising prices or lowering product quality? Of course the quality goes down if the prices stay the same. Look at dairy prices, beef prices, flour prices, fuel prices, etc. All of the resources that go into providing the basics of a cruise experience have become CONSIDERABLY more expensive in the last decade, whereas cruising prices have remained relatively stable. Unfortunately, It is in the best interest for most mass cruise lines to market to new cruisers. Getting new people interested is more profitable than maintaining existing cruisers.

The idea that these businesses "owe" customers certain experiences is misguided, to me. Of course they are in the business of providing specific services, but when amenities are reduced so the company can remain profitable and continue to grow, well, then decide if you want to be loyal to a company that is happy to run itself into the ground while it provides every luxury possible at next to nothing, or if you want to be happy that cruise lines are doing what they can to reduce costs before passing on the added costs to the majority of cruisers.

Wait, you mean that like every other business that has ever existed ever, anywhere that RCI has to choose between raising prices or lowering product quality? Of course the quality goes down if the prices stay the same. Look at dairy prices, beef prices, flour prices, fuel prices, etc. All of the resources that go into providing the basics of a cruise experience have become CONSIDERABLY more expensive in the last decade, whereas cruising prices have remained relatively stable. Unfortunately, It is in the best interest for most mass cruise lines to market to new cruisers. Getting new people interested is more profitable than maintaining existing cruisers.

The idea that these businesses "owe" customers certain experiences is misguided, to me. Of course they are in the business of providing specific services, but when amenities are reduced so the company can remain profitable and continue to grow, well, then decide if you want to be loyal to a company that is happy to run itself into the ground while it provides every luxury possible at next to nothing, or if you want to be happy that cruise lines are doing what they can to reduce costs before passing on the added costs to the majority of cruisers.

Again, you missed the point.

In reference to the bolded portion, did anybody ever deny that or imply otherwise :confused:? That was the point of my saying that prices have remained stagnant and quality has declined. It's time they raise prices and bring back some form of quality. Instead, they are raising prices to discount them back down in form of "sales" and making more cutbacks.

The OP asked why the Royal Caribbean negativity, they got an answer. Whether you agree with the responses or not, it is what it is. Theres really no reason to take it personally or get defensive.

I think this is a difficult subject to get an easy answer to.

It's all about the experience in my book. What you are looking for.

I think its unfair to say this cruise line is better because of this or that one is worse for that reason.

What kind of experience are you looking for?

I for one think the cruise line food on the three lines I have sailed, with RCI included have not been as good as just normal land based restaurants. That's my opinion. So in other words, food isn't a big factor to me. We do enjoy sitting down and having the three course treatment. Every cruise line has this. Every cruise line has room stewards. From that stand point, no matter where you go its a special experience.

I think the layout of the RCI ships, Voyager and up, make them better suited for families. The openness about them, make the ships special in my opinion. There are so many things to do.

If your looking to veg' and relax then a line like Celebrity is probably a great choice.

If your looking for a fun ship and the layout isn't a factor then Carnival probably works for a great family trip or an active couple.

If you have kids, like Disney and the budget permits. Disney is a very fun family vacation.

As a result of the promotions I have booked 2 cruises for my wife and I on NCL. I think the ships will do for the type of activities we enjoy as a couple. Relaxing at times and a fun atmosphere at other times.

We are looking to book a Oasis class ship for the kids, because of the above reasons I gave.

It's all about the experience. What are you looking for? They all have their niche'.

Edited by DreamingBig1

The deal is what sets one ship or line better than the rest....and mainly I am speaking of oasis class...NO ships on the planet have what they have to offer...and I also like carnival and NCL...but it is just the facts!!

I'll never find out because I don't care to sail on anything so big. I like to see and feel like I'm sailing on the ocean and not at an amusement park.

Just my two cents here....many posters here have been cruising for decades. Many of those same posters long for the good old days (as they remember) when everything was new and unexpected. My first cruise was 1984 and my inside cabin on deck 3 including air was 910. This years cruise on a ship probably four times the size in a balcony cabin, when including air is 1700. Is that better or worse??? Lots of things in life seem "better" when talking about what once was. The "good old days" ...,were they really that good??? Airline programs change. Hotel loyalty programs change. Things change. If anyone stops looking forward to a cruise, maybe it's time to take a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If RCL can no longer fulfill the quality that people are looking for and those people are willing to spend more, then why not give the next level up a go. Book Oceania, Regent, Seabourn or Azamara. You get better service, but you also pay for it.

If you personally are willing to pay more, for better quality and service, then there are options for that. Why not take advantage.

I think too many people seem like they are hostages to a cruise line (pick one) loyalty program. Break the loyalty handcuffs and try other cruise lines. Spice of life.

Edited by DreamingBig1

If RCL can no longer fulfill the quality that people are looking for and those people are willing to spend more, then why not give the next level up a go. Book Oceania, Regent, Seabourn or Azamara. You get better service, but you also pay for it.

If you personally are willing to pay more, for better quality and service, then there are options for that. Why not take advantage.

I think too many people seem like they are hostages to a cruise line (pick one) loyalty program. Break the loyalty handcuffs and try other cruise lines. Spice of life.

Azamara and Crystal sound wonderful, but the ships are tiny with few amenities.

Simple answer, in my opinion. There are two types of people... those who embrace mediocrity and those who don't.

In the case of Royal Caribbean, unfortunately, everything aside from the ships themselves has become exceptionally mediocre. It didn't used to be.

I completely agree with you and applaud the inherent truth, that you have just stated. People are willing to pay more for less and convince themselves to be happy with it. There was a time, not so long ago, when one expected quality and actually got it. If one expects mediocrity, you are liable to get it!!!

Edited by gkbiiii

Kruzerci have you considered Princess, HAL or Celebrity? They seem to have a more refined experience, with most large line amenities.

I think RCL with the massive ships needs to fill it, and the price needs to be right to do that. They want every last room then some to be filled.

RCL may consider creating a smaller ship with many big ship amenities that has a higher degree of quality, and is aimed at cruisers such as yourself who fill that niche.

If there is a market for that niche, they should go after it. Maybe a ship with all suites perhaps, and which has some of the bells and whistles that Oasis, Quantum and Freedom has. Just a smaller and more upscale version.

Kruzerci have you considered Princess, HAL or Celebrity? They seem to have a more refined experience, with most large line amenities.

I think RCL with the massive ships needs to fill it, and the price needs to be right to do that. They want every last room then some to be filled.

RCL may consider creating a smaller ship with many big ship amenities that has a higher degree of quality, and is aimed at cruisers such as yourself who fill that niche.

If there is a market for that niche, they should go after it. Maybe a ship with all suites perhaps, and which has some of the bells and whistles that Oasis, Quantum and Freedom has. Just a smaller and more upscale version.

Yes, we are booked on our first Celebrity cruise :).

go with no expectations and you will never be disappointed

I agree however, when I spend my time & money, I have expectations!

Yes, Disney was much better, as was Princess. For the money I may soon try Holland & Cunard.

Edited by gkbiiii

After over 2 dozen cruises I still get excited going on an RCI cruise. I do not see it going downhill at all. I don't think it's mediocre by any means. However I do find the smaller ships moderately boring. On the Legend with the Hawaii cruise in December a number of years ago, it was just fine while in Hawaii, but by day 3 sea day coming home I was very bored. The 4th day could not end soon enough. On small ships like that cold days there is no heart of the ship to hang out in and have fun. So I prefer Voyager class and above.

As a side note we have friends we used to travel with, used to is the key. They were the complaining type. Nit picked about every little thing. So there are people in this world who are never happy.

My problem right now is no cruise booked. This summer we are going to our timeshare with our son and his children. Now dint get me wrong I still like Disney, but would rather be on a cruise these days, and specifically, RCI.

Edited by abridalmaven