Venice hotel recommendation

sus809

My husband and I are planning to spend 1 night in Venice before our cruise in September. I'm torn between staying at Santa Chiara (are there any bridges to cross or is it directly on the bus route) or in Mestre at either the Best Western Bologna or Marriott Courtyard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No bridges to cross for the Santa Chiara or Ca Doge. Both are in Piazalle Roma, the square where buses/taxis etc drop off their passengers.

If you can manage one bridge and about 1 block, the Best Western Olimpia and the Arlecchino are nice options too:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

In Mestre it seems like you get more hotel for your money. You can take a bus or train and be in Venice within 10 minutes. There's an ATVO express bus for Mestre AND for Piazzale Roma so both locations are easy to access from the airport, a 20 minute ride.

Edited by mapleleaves

We like Hotel Locanda Salieri just off Piazzale de Roma on a quiet local canal. 5 minutes walk to Piazzale de Roma and Grand Canal, Vaporettos and Venezia St Lucia station . Hotel has nice in house Trattoria plus plenty of other eateries in the area .

Book direct via Hotel website to avoid paying middleman commissions.

If this is your first trip to Venice I would stay in Venice. With only one night, you need to maximize your sightseeing time and this is the best way. We stayed in Mestre post cruise for two nights on our last trip, BUT we had all stayed in Venice before and the ship did an overnight prior to disembarkation. Mestre is easy to get to and has good transportation connections to both the airport and into Venice, and hotels are around half the price of Venice BUT has no charm!

Also, unless things have changed the Marriott Courtyard is not in Mestre, it is closer to the airport. I probably would not go that route unless you had a very early flight the next morning, or arrived very late.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

When we stayed in Venice, we stayed at Hotel Moresco. We were completely and utterly spoiled by them. Love this hotel and just a 5 minute walk from P. Roma...two bridges if I remember correctly. And lugging the suitcases across the bridges wasn't as bad as I imagined. One of them even had a ramp up and over it. Stay in Venice. You will not regret it.

For one night we agree with the recommendations for Santa Chiara or Ca Doge (our usual home in Venice). We have never been big fans of Mestre, which is located on the mainland and the town oft used by lower cost land tours. If you can afford to spend the few extra Euros to stay in Venice then it is the place to be :). Perhaps the best way to describe Mestre would be to compare it to staying over in New Jersey when visiting NYC.

Hank

I will just add that the Marriott Courtyard is great if you have an early morning flight, free shuttle to the airport, etc.

But I wouldn't stay there instead of Venice, no how! We moved over to the Marriott after dinner in Venice one evening which worked perfectly for our 6:50 AM flight

We have stayed at Santa Chiara. Get off the airport bus and there it is across the parking square. No bridges. The staff was absolutely wonderful. The breakfast was the perfect start to the day. Our room over looked the canal and had two large windows which we opened and were not believing we were here. When it was time to go to the ship we walked outside and hailed a cab for, I think, 10 euros. Even tho the port is close, getting there by people mover seemed like more than we wanted to tackle and the cab dropped us right at luggage drop off.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I have stayed in Venice before but because we won't be arriving until the afternoon after an overnight flight from NY and then heading to the ship by 11:00 the next morning, we chose the Best Western Bologna. If we're up to it, we'll take the bus into Venice to explore. We do plan on visiting Venice again for a few days (either pre or post cruise) and will definitely stay in Venice. I am printing out and will hold on to all of your recommendations.