Solo Traveler Tipping

My roommate for my upcoming cruise canceled, so I'm traveling solo. It occurs to me that it's not my cabin attendant's fault that there's only one passenger in the cabin, and perhaps I should tip more. How have other solo travelers handled this before?

I almost always tip my stateroom attendant twice the daily rate - the only time I wouldn't would be if the service wasn't up to par, but so far I haven't had that happen. It's the same amount of work to clean up after me as it is to clean up after both DH and me - somehow I manage to use the towels that would be his:D, and the rest of the work is pretty much the same whether there's one person or two in the cabin - make the bed, vacuum, wipe off countertops, clean the bathroom & balcony if I have one.

My roommate for my upcoming cruise canceled, so I'm traveling solo. It occurs to me that it's not my cabin attendant's fault that there's only one passenger in the cabin, and perhaps I should tip more. How have other solo travelers handled this before?

Cruise solo regularly and pay gratuities only as a solo. I feel that the service warrants extra than I will tip in extra using cash.

Though you feel bad that there's only one person in the cabin you have to consider that that means less work for the cabin attendance. It's not any different than if there are 2 people booked into a cabin that can hold 3 people in which case the cabin attendant would only receive gratuities for the 2 occupants.

Edited by xxoocruiser

When I cruise solo (and the room steward does a decent job), I give an additional $25.00 for the reason you have mentioned. If service is excellent, I give a bit more. I know some consider that the cabin next door may have three or four passengers to balance things, but I still give something extra.

I tip the suggested and expected when on a cruise but I really find the idea of tipping double when you're a solo really crazy and like people need to prove their 'goodness' or 'loyalty' to people who get a lot of other tips and make a good living.

You pay double the cost to cruise and tip like this just because there is one of you ?!?!?!?!?!

Strange !

I travel solo and will definitely tip extra. But not the same amount as if there were 2 people in the room. After all, we don't get two cabin attendants when there are two of us in the room why should the cabin attendant get two tips from one person in the room? :D

I echo what some others have said - I just tip the amount for one person but I will tip more if the service is great. I did on a past cruise where the steward was particularly friendly and attentive as she knew I was travelling alone. I really appreciated the extra time she spent talking to me, especially when I knew how busy she was.

When traveling solo, I always tip additional to my stateroom attendant which at a minimum equals what they would have gotten had there been two guests in the stateroom.

It really isn't any less work for them with just me there than it would be if I was traveling with my husband and it doesn't seem right for them to get a pay cut that week because I'm traveling alone.

I tip the regular amt. for 1 person...but when I travel solo I don't have the room done up as much as when I am traveling with someone else I like to keep the room neat myself...so all I really ask for is ice & the compass in the evening...fresh towels every couple days...

I tip the regular amt. for 1 person...but when I travel solo I don't have the room done up as much as when I am traveling with someone else I like to keep the room neat myself...so all I really ask for is ice & the compass in the evening...fresh towels every couple days...

Absolutely agree with this. This is how I am regardless of whether I am travelling alone or with someone else. I don't create a lot of mess; I don't live like that at home, so I certainly wouldn't anywhere else!

I tip the suggested amount and if the service had been good, I give $20 extra at the end of the trip, along with a thank you note; and he/she might get the WOW card. I do the same for the waiter & assistant waiter. I keep my cabin clean and everything put away - out of sight. I expect the cabin attendant to leave clean towels if (and only if) I've left wet one's on the floor. I always straighten the bed, but they always make it, and I ask for ice at the beginning the trip and never have to ask again. Last cruise, I never received the robe, but it wasn't a big deal. However, on upcoming cruise it will be a big deal.

I know that when Atlantis Charter ships which they do all the time. If you going solo you have to pay tips as if there are two of you! I don't like or agree with it, but I will do it myself on the cruise next year.

Seems a bit unfair considering its a tip. I am from UK so I know we view it a bit different.

Of course I will pay extra if I think they deserve 'I am a decent guy lol.'

But it is good to know if i do a regular cruise on my own, that it is ok to tip as for one person and give extra if I would like too.

Edited by Tark