New to Princess...dining dress codes

angelmomma530

A picture is worth a thousand words. :D

The clothing guidelines are in print in the Answer book, in the Patter and at the door. The majority of people respect them. Why does Princess continue to post the guidelines in the Patter and place the sign at the door if they don't care how you dress?

I agree. The guidelines are clear and simple. But I guess for some it's not. Princess needs to step up and strictly enforce their own guidelines. Until that happens...whatever and we don't care. We do follow the guidelines only because we choose to do so. We're on a Cruise and life is good.

Why does Princess continue to allow passengers to enter the MDR that do not adhere to the guidelines in the Patter and the sign at the door if they care how you dress?

Because in this world of social media where reviews on Cruise Critic, Tripadvisor, FB, Fodor's, Frommer's, etc., etc., can make or break you, Princess recognizes that the number of "Horrible! Never Ever Sail On Princess!" reviews coming from people who were denied entry into the MDR for being underdressed would outnumber similar reviews from people who were mad at witnessing underdressed people being allowed into the MDR by about 100 to 1. Tell a paying customer that they are not welcome and you set off a firestorm. Catering to that person to the raised eyebrows of a few others barely registers as a dust-up. Seriously. Other than the endless debates here, when, if ever, have you seen a published review where the reviewer has sincerely sworn off Princess and advised others to do the same because a person without a jacket got into the MDR? Compare that to the reviews that would be published by people who were denied entry and shown to the buffet whilst the dress-ups chowed down on lobster tails.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Note that the OP did not specifically mention formal night.

Well they did, they asked the dress code for ATD, and the dress code includes Formal and Casual so both must be mentioned or you don't answer the question.

I guess you could have said same as traditional dining. Not sure that would have helped since they go on to explain that dad is a jeans and T sort of bloke.

If you look at the posted picture it is hardly 80-90%. That is way under what I have expierenced. But I have noticed an abundance of anarchist have come to the boards.

BTW, I do have a couple of formal Hawaiian shirts. One is all black with palm trees running down the button strip (about three of them. But I tend to wear them on smart casual nights. That way I as dressed formal all the time, lol.

As I said 80-90% is my experience if yours is different so be it, but 'd say on any given formal night about 10% or over are not dressed in a suit and tie or even a jacket.

As I said 80-90% is my experience if yours is different so be it, but 'd say on any given formal night about 10% or over are not dressed in a suit and tie or even a jacket.

That's been my experience too. I was quite surprised to see so many tuxes and suits after reading posts on Cruise critic. Of course, I have seen those underdressed in the MDR too, but they are a small minority.

On one cruise, a four day cruise for vets, Princess announced they were dropping the formal night. The outcry was so enormous they put it back in. On that cruise, no one was underdressed in the MDR. From tuxes, suits, a mess dress uniforms, the place was as formal as you could get!

Why does Princess continue to allow passengers to enter the MDR that do not adhere to the guidelines in the Patter and the sign at the door if they care how you dress?

Why not ask Princess that instead of trying to get the answer on an dependent forum? Wonder f they would even give a response.

Check your inbox, I am SURE a mod will remind you to not cause a disruption (or however they phrase it now) on the boards.

Great post!

To the OP,

easiest way to think/dress for formal night... if you were under indictment what would you wear if you were hoping to not get convicted? That's what to wear on formal night if you want to look like everyone else who opted to dress up (men I mean).

Now to actually show a sense of style, what would show up on a satellite photo? Wear that as life is TOO SHORT to kick about in suits that look like the suit your grandfather was planted in!

Sorry still no messages from the moderators. I wonder why they haven't done as you think they would have. Let me check again later.

Why not ask Princess that instead of trying to get the answer on an dependent forum? Wonder f they would even give a response.

That was a rhetorical response to post #49 who asked: "Why does Princess continue to post the guidelines in the Patter and place the sign at the door if they don't care how you dress?" I responded: "Why does Princess continue to allow passengers to enter the MDR that do not adhere to the guidelines in the Patter and the sign at the door if they care how you dress?" Both are valid questions.

Because in this world of social media where reviews on Cruise Critic, Tripadvisor, FB, Fodor's, Frommer's, etc., etc., can make or break you, Princess recognizes that the number of "Horrible! Never Ever Sail On Princess!" reviews coming from people who were denied entry into the MDR for being underdressed would outnumber similar reviews from people who were mad at witnessing underdressed people being allowed into the MDR by about 100 to 1.

That's a valid point. It's also possible that for every person who is offended by some one's dress, there are 100 who could care less.

If you look at the posted picture it is hardly 80-90%. That is way under what I have expierenced. But I have noticed an abundance of anarchist have come to the boards.

BTW, I do have a couple of formal Hawaiian shirts. One is all black with palm trees running down the button strip (about three of them. But I tend to wear them on smart casual nights. That way I as dressed formal all the time, lol.

In Caribill's photo, it looks like everyone is dressed for the occasion. Because...

Oh, but they do. A 'sparkledy top and black slacks' are the female equivalent of "polo and dockers"

A sparkley top and black pants (slacks connotes specific kind of fabrics such as cotton or wool while pants can be a full range) can be dressy. Depends on the fabric used in the pants, such as silk elevates to a more formal look, and also the drape (looser will sometimes also make some pants look fancier). Also the type of top can also make an outfit for a woman look more elegant. Many of us will not wear an old fashioned floor-length gown that our mothers or grandmothers would wear (and I'm just getting to the senior discount age).

All the Princess ships I have sailed recently accepted men in slacks and long sleeve dress shirts on formal nights in the MDR. They did not require ties or jackets.

On the ships I have been on have required atleast slacks and collared shirts (not polo) on formal night. Also no shorts on non-formal nights, even in Tahiti.

Yikes. Didn't mean to cause a brawl. LoL we def don't do formal nights but the guys are fine in dockers and button up or polos. thx all.

button up, but not polos. I have seen one fellow stopped at the door on my last cruise in a polo shirt on formal night and that was in the Caribbean.