New to Princess...dining dress codes

angelmomma530

This topic of formal nights has been going on since 2000 when I joined CC.

I still find it interesting to read the differing opinions.

"Some times I feel like a nut; sometimes I don't" For me, this quote seems to apply to formal nights as well.

Khakis and a polo is perfect. You will be fine. Have a great trip and hope you love Princess as much as we do. :)

On casual nights you will see men in casual slacks and Polo shirts, Tommy Bahama type resort shirts and casual sport shirts. T shirts are generally not seen at dinner. Lunch and breakfast in the MDR, shorts and tshirts are ok.

Women dress in pants, Capris and casual dresses /skirts.

Formal nights.....as you read here is small percentage tuxes and long dresses. Majority of men dress in suits or a sport coat and dress pants. Ties of course. But there will be a handful of men that enter without a jacket and/or tie. Women wear dresses or nice black pants with pretty top.

The majority of guests can dress "up " with no more effort than if they put on a casual outfit. Just a choice they make.

Edited by eandj

Sorry. I'm simply not buying that. You may think that we Yanks are slobs, but the majority of us do not wear t-shirts to dining rooms in Alaskan weather.

Totally agree. Majority in tshirts? Maybe in the buffet. This is hooey :rolleyes:

On last trip to Alaska with Princess there was no dress code in the MDR. The basic attitude appeared to be wear what you want. majority of Americans wore jeans and t shirts and for formal night went to chinos and a polo shirt.

Maître D was questioned about this when a lot of overseas travellers had made the effort to bring the required clothing and he stated that if he tried to enforce a dress code then he would lose half his dining room.

Basically suit yourself and damn what anyone else thinks.

Wow, now we can add "those darn Americans ruin everything" to this thread.

Your generalization is revealing.:rolleyes:

You in your past post have said you saw "a lot of people" in jeans and tshirts. Now it has become the "majority of Americans".

Edited by eandj

Princess is more formal, there will be about two formal nights a week where dress recommendation is dark suit and tie for gents.

Now about 80-90% [in my experience] will dress to that standard others won't. It is unlikely [again in my experience] that you'll get refused entry but it does sometimes happen.

Of course you also have the option of the buffet or Room service on formal nights.

Other nights are what you might call good casual or resort casual.

It is nowhere near 80 or 90 percent.

Princess does not enforce them but many on here think they can enforce them for Princess. So far they are less effectice then Princess.

Check your inbox, I am SURE a mod will remind you to not cause a disruption (or however they phrase it now) on the boards.

Great post!

To the OP,

easiest way to think/dress for formal night... if you were under indictment what would you wear if you were hoping to not get convicted? That's what to wear on formal night if you want to look like everyone else who opted to dress up (men I mean).

Now to actually show a sense of style, what would show up on a satellite photo? Wear that as life is TOO SHORT to kick about in suits that look like the suit your grandfather was planted in!

It is nowhere near 80 or 90 percent.

I would agree that 80% of men DO wear jacket and tie. Now it might be a sport coat or blazer with dress pants with tie, and not full dark suit (not truly formal either) or tux. But looking around purposefully for mens' apparel on the Regal last month on a Carib. itinerary, I was impressed with what we observed, after reading here how casual the MDR was getting.

About 20% of men entered without tie and /or jacket. Used to be fewer. But yes, more choose to rough it I guess.

Check your inbox, I am SURE a mod will remind you to not cause a disruption (or however they phrase it now) on the boards.

Great post!

To the OP,

easiest way to think/dress for formal night... if you were under indictment what would you wear if you were hoping to not get convicted? That's what to wear on formal night if you want to look like everyone else who opted to dress up (men I mean).

Now to actually show a sense of style, what would show up on a satellite photo? Wear that as life is TOO SHORT to kick about in suits that look like the suit your grandfather was planted in!

I checked and nothing from a moderator. As I think it had to do with a statement f fact and not any type of disruption. Sorry but I will keep looking just to be sure.

Great post!

To the OP,

I checked and nothing from a moderator. As I think it had to do with a statement of fact and not any type of disruption. Sorry but I will keep looking just to be sure.

What people wear on a formal night on an Alaska cruise

980911680912WaitingtoenterProvenceDRonformalnightDSC01219_zpsa899c03a.jpg

I think I figured it out. moonglum is actually Superman and has X-Ray vision. The men were wearing t-shirts all right. But they were under their suits! Sometimes that X-Ray vision does more harm than good. ;)

All the Princess ships I have sailed recently accepted men in slacks and long sleeve dress shirts on formal nights in the MDR. They did not require ties or jackets.

That depends on the ship and how strickly they enforce the code. Some may be luckier than others.

I would agree that 80% of men DO wear jacket and tie. Now it might be a sport coat or blazer with dress pants with tie, and not full dark suit (not truly formal either) or tux. But looking around purposefully for mens' apparel on the Regal last month on a Carib. itinerary, I was impressed with what we observed, after reading here how casual the MDR was getting.

About 20% of men entered without tie and /or jacket. Used to be fewer. But yes, more choose to rough it I guess.

Agreed. I look around, too, for obvious reasons. Eighty or ninety percent of men do make an effort, and women don't show up at the MDR in the female equivalent of "polo and Dockers." On a recent partial Canal cruise, though, the violators were more egregious than previously: I was seated next to two tables where guys thought that Hawaiian shirts - and garishly ugly ones, at that - were "formalwear." Well, maybe on Baywatch.

But clearly, some of this is in the eyes of the beholder, and people see what they want to see. Kind of along the lines of, "Well, the airlines are cracking down on luggage, and throwing a tie in my suitcase will put me over 50 pounds."

If you look at the posted picture it is hardly 80-90%. That is way under what I have expierenced. But I have noticed an abundance of anarchist have come to the boards.

BTW, I do have a couple of formal Hawaiian shirts. One is all black with palm trees running down the button strip (about three of them. But I tend to wear them on smart casual nights. That way I as dressed formal all the time, lol.

But I have noticed an abundance of anarchist have come to the boards.

Funny thing is that I bet I'm closer to the anarcho-progressive end of the spectrum than many of the "screw the dress code" posters. And here I am arguing for having consideration of others' tastes. But then, there's a difference between the communitarian spirit of the original anarcho-syndicalists and the "me first" take of the Ayn Rand Paul bunch. Sure, the class system may be a horror, but that's no excuse to be badly dressed. :D

Edited by shepp

Funny thing is that I bet I'm closer to the anarcho-progressive end of the spectrum than many of the "screw the dress code" posters. And here I am arguing for having consideration of others' tastes. But then, there's a difference between the communitarian spirit of the original anarcho-syndicalists and the "me first" take of the Ayn Rand Paul bunch. Sure, the class system may be a horror, but that's no excuse to be badly dressed. :D

That's true, just look at Gary Cooper in the Fountainhead;)

I have cruised DCL several times. Cruising Princess to AK in August. Dress code for dining is pretty relaxed on DCL. What is the dress code (anytime dining) on Princess? My parents are also coming and my Dad is a farmer -jeans and Tee kind of guy. Hubs is also. Thanks.

Note that the OP did not specifically mention formal night.

A picture is worth a thousand words. :D

The clothing guidelines are in print in the Answer book, in the Patter and at the door. The majority of people respect them. Why does Princess continue to post the guidelines in the Patter and place the sign at the door if they don't care how you dress?

A picture is worth a thousand words. :D

The clothing guidelines are in print in the Answer book, in the Patter and at the door. The majority of people respect them. Why does Princess continue to post the guidelines in the Patter and place the sign at the door if they don't care how you dress?

Why does Princess continue to allow passengers to enter the MDR that do not adhere to the guidelines in the Patter and the sign at the door if they care how you dress?