Items to leave?

RedRover96

Does anyone have thoughts on how to handle items we don’t want to take home with us? I recently bought 4 nice dishwasher safe insulated tumblers to take on the cruise with us. Once home we won’t use them (have plenty already) besides will probably need the extra luggage space. Would it be appropriate to leave in the room with a note telling the cabin steward to please use them or pass on as they see fit, or would that be an insult? (And this would not be instead of any additional tip, if warranted)

If it’s a good idea, has anyone left other items that the staff seemed to appreciate besides candy? :)

Thanks,

RedRover96

throw them in the garbage pail in your cabin

When good items are thrown away, the steward usually thinks it is a mistake and takes them out again.

I would leave them on a counter with a note to the steward saying we no longer want these, please either throw them away or give them to someone.

That way if the steward wants them or knows someone else who wants them he is free to take them.

When good items are thrown away, the steward usually thinks it is a mistake and takes them out again.

I would leave them on a counter with a note to the steward saying we no longer want these, please either throw them away or give them to someone.

That way if the steward wants them or knows someone else who wants them he is free to take them.

Why would he take cups out of the garbage? The cruise is over, the cruisers are off the ship, he isn't going to take them to Lost and Found.

No reason to throw them away if there's a chance someone else can use them. And there is no reason to leave notes and wonder what happened after you left. You should have plenty of opportunities to ask your steward face to face if they would be interested in the cups at the end of the cruise. If they say no, you can leave them in the hallway or next to some elevators or any public space, maybe with a post-it saying "FREE", and I guarantee they will not go to waste.

I bag everything up and set it by the garbage can. That way if someone wants it, it's not covered in trash/food, etc. If they don't want it, it's ready to go. We travel for up to a month with a cruise somewhere in the middle. We've left clothes, shoes, cups, pump soap, hats, etc. We travel light and plan on leaving old if we buy something new. A note is a good idea.

We leave coathangers (always take a few), books (get some potboilers for 10p at the library), a pair of old slippers or trainers; it's always worth taking a few small envelopes for tips and a thankyou card or two. We try NOT to leave anything in the safe but haven't always succeeded!! If you take some things you know you are going to jettison, you know that your weight allowance for the plane home should be OK.

Why would he take cups out of the garbage? The cruise is over, the cruisers are off the ship, he isn't going to take them to Lost and Found.

that is exactly why i said throw them away. lol

i would expect them to be thrown away as the pax was exiting the cabin at debark

Edited by maggie cruises

Oh, for crying out loud. Throw the used two dollar cups in the trash. The steward won't need therapy because of this. Everyone will be just fine.

LMAO.

too funny!!! however, you seem to ignore how important it is for ccers to

1. be politically correct

2. give crap to the stewards for their personal enjoyment

No reason to throw them away if there's a chance someone else can use them. And there is no reason to leave notes and wonder what happened after you left. You should have plenty of opportunities to ask your steward face to face if they would be interested in the cups at the end of the cruise. If they say no, you can leave them in the hallway or next to some elevators or any public space, maybe with a post-it saying "FREE", and I guarantee they will not go to waste.

yes, i always pick up used, albeit clean i guess, metal coffee cups left on the floor next to the mid ship elevators. doesnt't everyone? then i wash them in the Sani-wash cycle of my dishwasher in my cabin

Donate them to you local homeless shelter or shelter for a bused and battered women.

That's great except the OP said they don't want to take the luggage space to get them home.

OP; if you don't want them, just leave them in the cabin when you leave. The stewards will handle them in an appropriate fashion, whatever that may be.

yes, i always pick up used, albeit clean i guess, metal coffee cups left on the floor next to the mid ship elevators. doesnt't everyone? then i wash them in the Sani-wash cycle of my dishwasher in my cabin

It's actually the homeless people roaming the ship who pick up the used cups that are left out.

Does anyone have thoughts on how to handle items we don’t want to take home with us? I recently bought 4 nice dishwasher safe insulated tumblers to take on the cruise with us. Once home we won’t use them (have plenty already) besides will probably need the extra luggage space. Would it be appropriate to leave in the room with a note telling the cabin steward to please use them or pass on as they see fit, or would that be an insult? (And this would not be instead of any additional tip, if warranted)

If it’s a good idea, has anyone left other items that the staff seemed to appreciate besides candy? :)

Thanks,

RedRover96

I always leave my good shampoo and conditioner.( I own a salon)

my room steward is always happy to pass it on to a lady friend. they are always just about full.