Must do tips for Fort Lauderdale please?

melli14

Hi all! My husband and I are going on allure in March(again... We are addicted!) and plan on spending a few days in Fort Lauderdale prior to cruise. So, was hoping you all might share a few tips:

Best hotels?? Last time stayed in Hilton and wasn't impressed! Would like a central hotel with nice pool!

Places to eat?? My hubby is a very boring eater but we both love BBQ and southern cooking. Also nice steaks/ chicken etc. We also love buffets!

Day activities?? So far I have gator sighting and shopping! Sure there's more so what is everyone's highlights?

Any tips would be great! Thank you!

Watertaxi.com

Hop-on-hop-off service through the Venice of the Americas. Stops at lots of good restaurants and shopping areas. They will tell you who owns which house. World class sight seeing.

Will you have access to a car or staying closeby the cruise port?

When I saw your dining preferences you might like the Jungle Queen tour. It is a boat tour that goes up New River to a private "island" (not an island) where they have an all you can eat Rib dinner and some entertainment. It's another good way to tour the area and the food is excellent. Expect to pay $30-40 per person for the dinner cruise. Jungle Queen departs from the Bahia Mar, so a 5 minute cab ride from cruise port area.

http://www.junglequeen.com/dinner-and-show.html

Edited by LMaxwell

Watertaxi.com

Hop-on-hop-off service through the Venice of the Americas. Stops at lots of good restaurants and shopping areas. They will tell you who owns which house. World class sight seeing.

Will you have access to a car or staying closeby the cruise port?

Agreed! You must hop on the water taxi and cruise the intracoastal of Fort Lauderdale. Truly, an amazing experience.

Lago Mar Beach Club and resort: you can walkout on the beach and watch the ships depart through the channel.

Southport Raw Bar: Good seafood and drinks

American Social Bar: fantastic Sunday brunch reservation highly recommended a week out (11:00 and 11:30am). You can get in without one but only if there's room at the bar.

Water Taxi (non)tour: the claim to not be a tour boat but they'll narrate the entire trip and for a fee, you can ride all day.

Lago Mar Beach Club and resort: you can walkout on the beach and watch the ships depart through the channel.

This!

We were on the Allure recently and stayed at the Lago Mar. Not only can you see the ships heading out from the beach right behind the hotel, but a five-minute walk gets you down to the rock jetty that lines the shipping channel. We watched the Oasis sail out standing on that jetty, and the ship was literally a hundred feet or so from us. Everyone on the ship and on the jetty are yelling and waving to each other, and the ships always blow their horns for the people on the jetty. Several other ships sailed out that afternoon as well. Great photo ops.

We will be staying close to cruise port. Would like to be a bit closer to night life and restaurants as very little around hilton. Will look at embassy!

Hilton is a few blocks from the Embassy Suites, so it's the same neighborhood, but ES is more centrally located to places. There are lots of restaurants in the area but not much in the way of nightlife....sometimes Waxy O'Connors has live music...it's an Irish Pub.

The hotel on the beach that's most centrally located is Ritz Carlton and it has a nice pool.

The only buffets in Fort Lauderdale are not close to the port: Kyojin and Sweet Tomatoes.

And Chima Steakhouse downtown is not too far...they have a huge buffet.

Edited by royalcruz

For a great seafood dinner try Kelly's Landing. One block from the Embassy Suites. For an activity rent jet skies and take a tour of the intracoastal waterway. There is a rental office next to the ticket office for the Jungle Queen. And take a ride on the Jungle Queen while you are over there.

Paul

There is an awesome barbeque place about a mile from Embassy Suites called Tom Jenkins. They have a lot of southern soul food. They're open Tues-Sat, but they close at 8:30 during the week. Expect to stand in line for up to an hour to order and collect your food, then find a spot on one of the shared picnic tables.

http://tomjenkinsbbq.net/

Which Hilton?

We have stayed at the Hilton Marina. (It is easily seen from the ship as it is not far from the port.)From there, you can pick up the water taxi, are near the Southport Raw Bar both of which have been mentioned, plus several other venues.

I am picky, and the Hilton is not my favorite eating place....except for the outside marina bar's chicken fingers with mustard dipping sauce. Love the things!! The pool is quite satisfactory as it is large.

From the water/bridge, you can walk up 17th Street a block or so to the next large hotel for a better breakfast (forget the name), or a few blocks more to Edelstein's bakery (chain) for good bagels, or take a cab a few more blocks to Waxy O'Connell's (which is not far from the aforementioned Emabassy Suites. (We used to love that place, but they changed some of their menu items and it is not as good as it was.)

:D It's supposed to be an Irish pub, but I doubt you will be reminded of home.

Bill

Edited by spearmint

Which Hilton? The oceanfront one is amazing.

I also like The W Hotel and the Ritz Carlton.

The Lago Mar isn't really walking distance to much but it is gorgeous.

Agree about the Water Taxi.

Love American Social for brunch, I'm a regular but the above poster is correct, it is always packed so you'll want a reservation however we prefer to eat at the bar.