Blu on formal nights

Mazz55

Most people in Blu get into the spirit of formal nights in their own individual ways. This means different things to different people. Those who like tuxes or gowns wear them. Others may prefer suits or cocktail dresses. Still others may consider their best Hawaiian shirts to be appropriate.

It's difficult to give any sort of comprehensive answer to this question because it will vary from cruise to cruise. All you can be sure of is that there will be a good mixture of outfits and you have no reason to feel out of place even if you choose to treat formal nights like any other night.

Thanks for asking this question. We are on a land tour with luggage restrictions prior to our upcoming cruise in aqua class. Is it necessary for DH to bring a jacket? Is that required on formal nights? He would not be a slob....long pants and polo....but need to know if the jacket is a must or not. Thanks in advance.

You definitely should tell your husband to leave the sport coat at home. As noted there will always be a mix but the only attire that is not appropriate will be jeans and those horrid sleeveless t shirt things.

We have seen dress jeans in Blu but not on formal night and we have also seen a maître 'd or two kindly request that the "guest" change or dine elsewhere if it's not embarkation eve.

Thanks for asking this question. We are on a land tour with luggage restrictions prior to our upcoming cruise in aqua class. Is it necessary for DH to bring a jacket? Is that required on formal nights? He would not be a slob....long pants and polo....but need to know if the jacket is a must or not. Thanks in advance.
Definitely not a must, and there are no formal nights in Blu.

Even so, about half of the men in Blu (sometimes more than half) usually wear a jacket of one kind or another on the MDR's formal nights.

The ratios of men with and without jackets can vary greatly from cruise to cruise.

It seems there are always some men who always wear a jacket to dinner on a cruise ship and some men who never wear one.

For the women, just about anything goes.

Your DH will be just fine in Blu as long as he is the type of independent individual who will not mind if he should happen to be seated in a section where most of the other men are wearing jackets.

We have arrived in Blu at a time when most of the men in the room were (or were not) wearing jackets, and by the time we finished our dinner the tables had turned over and it was the other way around.

You definitely should tell your husband to leave the sport coat at home. As noted there will always be a mix but the only attire that is not appropriate will be jeans and those horrid sleeveless t shirt things.

We have seen dress jeans in Blu but not on formal night and we have also seen a maître 'd or two kindly request that the "guest" change or dine elsewhere if it's not embarkation eve.

If the maître d' asked someone to change then it can't have been because they were wearing jeans. Jeans are perfectly acceptable as smart casual unless they are ripped or torn. I have worn jeans every single night I have dined in Blu including formal nights and I have seen others do it to. Admittedly my jeans are always dark and couldn't be misconstrued as "work" jeans but Celebrity's definition of smart casual includes jeans and this applies in Blu every night.

If the maître d' asked someone to change then it can't have been because they were wearing jeans. Jeans are perfectly acceptable as smart casual unless they are ripped or torn. I have worn jeans every single night I have dined in Blu including formal nights and I have seen others do it to. Admittedly my jeans are always dark and couldn't be misconstrued as "work" jeans but Celebrity's definition of smart casual includes jeans and this applies in Blu every night.

Absolutely correct!

I was on the Eclipse last October in BLU, most of the passengers were from the UK and most everyone was dressed formally for Formal Nights. For the Reflection Caribbean cruise last month, it was about half business casual, half formal in BLU.

Edited by Banjo

All good responses - there is a range from "smart casual" to "formal." We travel light, usually with carry-on bags only. My dressy clothes are lightweight but my husband's dress clothes are not. On our most recent Celebrity cruise there were more in BLU dressed formally than not. He's decided that for our next cruise, he will wear his sportcoat on the plane. He'd prefer to have a jacket, even if it is not required in BLU. We found that those frequenting the Elite social hour and various bars were more dressed up than our "smart casual." I do wish that Celebrity would just adopt an all the time "resort casual" or "country club casual" (don't like that term!!) as per Azamara or other luxury cruise lines.

We have cruised in Aqua on a few cruises and noticed that the crowd in Blu (on formal nights) is usually better dressed then most in the MDR. It is true that "smart casual" is the dress guideline, but many of us seem to enjoy dressing-up to enjoy the entire formal night experience. The reality for us is that the only time we ever dress up is at weddings and on cruises :).

Hank

What's nasty about it!! [emoji57]

Actually nothing nasty about what you said. Just telling it like it is. If you get an overzealous maître d' that doesn't know the dress code, but they should. You could have an issue. On one cruise the maître d tried to tell another gentleman and me that were had to wear a coat. Needless to say him boss and the maître d' came to our table and apologized. Never had to wait for a table the rest of the cruise and got a bottle of wine.

We are in Aqua on the silhouette 1st March and I will be wearing jeans & a polo/short sleeved shirt every night! I'd like to see someone try to refuse me entry! [emoji16]

We were in Aqua Class on Equinox, on the 11 night ultimate Caribbean cruise this past January. DH and I dressed up for formal night when it was suggested. We found that our fellow cruisers did as well. We think you will be the "odd man out". So long as your comfortable with that - have a fantastic cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk