Crew Names

Over the years the majority of our cabin stewards, waiters, etc. have been wonderful - truly gone out of the way to give great service.

I often found when filling out the survey at the end of the cruise I hadn't a clue how to really spell their name - so many foreign names - also I wish the name tags were a little larger!

A friend gave me the idea of taking a photo of their name tag - so much easier in this day and age of digital cameras/phones.

Have been doing this for several cruises now - it makes giving credit to a great crew member so much easier when filling out a survey! Obviously would work for poor service too; never had a problem with poor service though.

Hope others will find this helpful.

Yes, but in the dining room or other various venues, it is difficult to see the names on their badges, especially if the lighting isn't so great.

I don't like to appear obvious when looking at the name badges; often I will come out and ask them how to spell their names.

But taking a picture (Say, "cheese" :D) and having the name badge in the picture will also help remember who the server was.

Good idea!

One time when we were on Oasis two of the crew really went out of their way for me with an issue I had. I was not the slightest bit shy to go up to them later when I had a pen an paper in hand and asked them both for their names and told them exactly what I planned to do with the information. They seemed quite pleased.:)

If you are getting close enough to them to take a picture where you can actually read their name badge latter I would think that might be a little too close for comfort.

Have taken photos of name tags on our cruises.

One time I asked our waiter if I could take a photo of his nametag. He was surprised and asked me why. I said so that I could be sure to spell his name correctly when I complained about him in my survey. He looked shocked at me & then I smiled and he smiled when he realised I was joking. He then proudly displayed his name tag for me to take the photo.

I've been taking picture of the waiter's name plate on the table in the MDR for years now, same with the cabin steward's name plate in the cabin on ships that have them. It's a good strategy to remember (and properly spell) their names.

When you do the survey do your best to spell the name correctly and indicate your table number. Management will know whom you are speaking of.

If I am giving a cash tip on the last night I just ask them if I'm not sure of the spelling.

My problem was trying to remember bar tenders names - it's easy to mention your table number (same server all week), but have had some really nice bartenders in different areas that I wanted to give credit to. On a TA where the diamond event was in a huge lounge we had a waiter who truly worked his duff off - so superior to many of his colleagues - he was the one that precipitated doing this for me.