Early off the Ship

TXRed

We are sailing on the Ruby to Alaska Sept 6 2015. We are on the Caribe deck. We would love to be able to catch an 11AM flight home, or endure a 10 hours trip or we will more than likely have to overnight in Seattle. If we take our own luggage off the ship how early can we get off? And how does that work? How long time wise it is from the Pier to the Airport? TIA

The last time we flew out of Seattle (not cruise related) the security lines at the airport were horrible. The staff said that this was "common" place on the day the ships came into port and really caused delays.

Two people in line (just off one of the ships) missed their flight because of the long lines.

I would think an 11 am flight would be cutting it way too close especially if there would be any delay in the port to get off the ship.

Personal opinion only.

Edited by MilliesMom

You will be able to carry off your luggage. Self debarkation will start as soon as local authorities have cleared the ship. This usually takes 30 to 60 minutes after the ship arrives. You will have to be able to carry all your bags without assistance. You will need to have a free had for the escalator or you will be directed to the elevators. There the line forms rapidly.

Just booked the May 23rd Alaskan cruise from Seattle on the Crown Princess. I was told by a Princess rep that the earliest flight should be 11:30 AM to take the Princess transfer. Our flight is at 11:35 AM, we decided to skip the transfers and do the walk off with our luggage. I see no problem making it to the airport in time. The airport is 17 miles from the cruise terminal. On the Princess port information page, it states a taxi cab will run about $42.00 from the cruise terminal to the airport. You should be off the ship by 8:00 AM. Do the early walk off and I'm sure you won't have any problem catching your plane.

Edited by Kenosha Cruiser

Our DS lives in Seattle and we have sailed out of Seattle - he provided our transportation of course. Seattle traffic is horrible and makes in some ways LA traffic seen minor. Add to that construction around the port area causing detours and you may be pressing the beads very hard so to speak. We go to Seattle every year in August to see him and the trip from the airport and returning to the airport is always interesting. He has developed the patience of Job.

I am originally from this area. When we cruise to Alaska, we always book our travel for around 11 am. I carry off our own luggage. We also book with Already There car service. We normally make it to the airport around 9-9:30. Yes, there is traffic, but I have never worried about missing my flight.

Our DS lives in Seattle and we have sailed out of Seattle - he provided our transportation of course. Seattle traffic is horrible and makes in some ways LA traffic seen minor. Add to that construction around the port area causing detours and you may be pressing the beads very hard so to speak. We go to Seattle every year in August to see him and the trip from the airport and returning to the airport is always interesting. He has developed the patience of Job.

Not to mention the airport is way south of Seattle, down by Tacoma. I've done the reverse, going from SeaTac to a Seattle hotel some years ago (not for a cruise) and I can't see stressing oneself out after a relaxing cruise to catch a flight that might be too early if disembarkation starts late.

We are sailing on the Ruby to Alaska Sept 6 2015. We are on the Caribe deck. We would love to be able to catch an 11AM flight home, or endure a 10 hours trip or we will more than likely have to overnight in Seattle. If we take our own luggage off the ship how early can we get off? And how does that work? How long time wise it is from the Pier to the Airport? TIA

If you do an early disembark you will probably be off the ship by 7:45 or 8:00. You'll have your bags with you and will only have to clear customs which shouldn't take long as there won't be that many leaving in the early group. Have your customs form on the photo page of your passport, hand the passport to the customs agent and you'll be through in a couple of minutes. Step out the front of the building and there will be a long line of Yellow cabs waiting just across the driveway in front of the building. Grab a cab and it'll be about a 30-45 minute ride to the airport.

You should have no trouble making an 11am flight.

Tom