Specialty Restaurants

dinosaurdem

I think it's a bit of a gamble really. I know when I was on the Equinox in 2013 we bought a specialty dinner package and on the first day they were doing deals for 20% off speciality restaurants.

I have only been on one cruise before so I don't have a lot of experience to go on. The first day seemed to have loads of discounts aimed at getting passengers to buy spa treatments, speciality dinners etc.

Maybe some more experienced cruisers will be able to verify, but my instinct is that it would be cheaper to buy on board when they discount. I can't imagine them 'selling out' of speciality dining packages but I suppose if it was really popular pre sailing then they might not bother discounting on board. I can't imagine it would ever be more expensive onboard so can't see you being disadvantaged by purchasing onboard.

If you really MUST have guaranteed dates and times, the specialty dining packages are OK for a reasonable discount.

If you are looking for a transatlantic cruise, you can almost always get 50% off any non-formal night.

Booking in advance also requires full payment up front, while waiting to book until you are on the ship, allows payment with any OBC you may have.

The star trek fan has it correct. If you need a particular date then prepay. If not, go with the old book on board. If you want to roll the dice, book daily after contact with a specialty restaurant "sales person". If saving cash is important, be prepared to be disappointed. But, remember you may be able to negotiate a fantastic deal.

We went for paying in advance for our five meal package in November, think it works out about 30% cheaper than paying the full supplement price which I'm happy with. Yes im guessing if they don't get the numbers they might slash prices by 50% on board but then again they might not. We just prefer knowing we have what we want, the first meal is already booked at a time we wanted and there is no risk of losing out. It's like booking a flight, it might go up, it might go down, it might actually just sell out, only you know what you would be happy with. I know many don't agree with the supplements and I get that, but I think spending £100 on a five dinner package is better value than say spending £70/80 on a few hours ship excursion.

I have read conflicting reports. Are the prices the same pre-cruise and on the ship? Are 5 dinner packages the same price before and during?

Just a couple of comments to add to what everyone else is already posted.

Regarding dining packages and their pre-cruise or on board ship price, it has been my experience that dining packages have remain the same price whether you buy them pre-cruise or on board. However, you may run into them being unavailable on board. If you decide to wait till on board to purchase, look for the specialty dining desk in the embarkation hall or immediately once on the ship and make those plans to purchase a dining package.

Regarding individual restaurants and times, this has had much conversation regarding the prices pre-cruise being cheaper then the prices on board the ship for an individual specialty restaurant dining venue. however, this will be the only way to ensure pre-cruise that you will get the dining venue and time that you want. If you wait till once on the ship, it may be more difficult to get the day or time that you desire. And it will most likely be more expensive.

Regarding "discounts" for dining venues offered while on the ship. This is hit or miss on any ship at any time. One sailing might offer 50% off first night other sailings will have high reservations for dining venues and no discount will be offered. Discounts are ONLY offered when reservations are low to provide incentive for passengers to make reservations and dine in specialty dining venues. This is not an expectation or anything that is done consistently that a passenger should count on.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by vulcan1971

I have read conflicting reports. Are the prices the same pre-cruise and on the ship? Are 5 dinner packages the same price before and during?

The packages are $10 higher if you wait till on board to book.

We wait so we can use our OBC to cover the cost.

ps: With the opening of the new Suite dinning section in the MDR in April, it 'should' help open seating in the specialities a tad.

Edited by wallie5446

ps: With the opening of the new Suite dinning section in the MDR in April, it 'should' help open seating in the specialities a tad.

Which may however be offset by Royals and above getting unlimited Specialty dining.

I would think so...we were just contacted by X today and offered the free specialty dining for our entire cruise in March. We are now booked in specialty restaurants for each night of our cruise. Lucky us. Obviously the availability will be limited for other passengers prior to the opening of Luminae in April. I highly doubt the majority of RS and above guests will book specialty restaurants for each evening afterwards.

Shawn

I would think so...we were just contacted by X today and offered the free specialty dining for our entire cruise in March. We are now booked in specialty restaurants for each night of our cruise. Lucky us. Obviously the availability will be limited for other passengers prior to the opening of Luminae in April. I highly doubt the majority of RS and above guests will book specialty restaurants for each evening afterwards.

Shawn

I would think you are right, unless Luminae doesn't hit their expectations.

I made reservations for 2 dinners at specialty restaurants on my recent 14 night cruise. Specialty restaurants at $50pp are outrageous. They are good. However, they do not warrant paying an extra $50pp for a dinner when the dinner in the MDR is already paid for....and the MDR is good. Why are they full? Lots of people have lots of OBC. OBC is funny money. I just ate at a specialty restaurant with my OBC. Nice change? It was good. Not an extra $50 good. Worth the extra money? NO! I canceled my 2nd reservation. After many cruises, the menus in the specialty restaurants are dull. They never change. I am shocked that the suite people eat specialty every night. Even though there isn't any extra charge, the same menu every night is dull. I have met some suite people who do not want to associate with the non suite people. For those folks, the new suite restaurant is good.

They never change. I am shocked that the suite people eat specialty every night. Even though there isn't any extra charge, the same menu every night is dull. I have met some suite people who do not want to associate with the non suite people. For those folks, the new suite restaurant is good.

The only reason we are booked in each night is because they offered it to us. If we decide to eat in the MDR one night, then I'll simply have our reservation cancelled. It's nice to have choice.

Oh and by the way, we don't mind eating with "non suite guests". What a ridiculous thing for someone to say (and to repeat giving others the impression that all suite people think like that).

Shawn

The only reason we are booked in each night is because they offered it to us. If we decide to eat in the MDR one night, then I'll simply have our reservation cancelled. It's nice to have choice.

Oh and by the way, we don't mind eating with "non suite guests". What a ridiculous thing for someone to say (and to repeat giving others the impression that all suite people think like that).

Shawn

I thought that other posts impression of suite guests was out of line as well.

I go out of my way to hang with the "normals" i guess as that poster may refer to non suite guests as. I host cabin crawls and other gatherings to let others see the cabins. I typically do MDR and ofter never use my specialty dining.

While I have no doubt that the other poster hearsd someone say such a thing, that is the anomaly relative to suite cruisers, the vast majority don't flaunt it at all, you'd never have a clue.

Edited by cle-guy

Shawn

I would think you are right, unless Luminae doesn't hit their expectations.

Looking at the menu for Luminae brings back memories of our first few sailing on Celebrity when Michael Roux (sp) was expressing his creative talents in the Celebrity kitchen! I think we will hear nothing but rave comments from those that dine there.

I go out of my way to hang with the "normals" i guess as that poster may refer to non suite guests as. I host cabin crawls and other gatherings to let others see the cabins. I typically do MDR and ofter never use my specialty dining.

While I have no doubt that the other poster hearsd someone say such a thing, that is the anomaly relative to suite cruisers, the vast majority don't flaunt it at all, you'd never have a clue.

Agreed, I have never even seen people on 'X' flashing their sea pass cards expecting to get recognition, I have seen that on Princess though.:(

Is it difficult to get a reservation once onboard? I have OBC and don't feel like deciding now which night we may/may not want a specialty dinner, though we do have a few on our list we want to try.

So far I have not found that to be a problem. We usually ask to see the menu for the week and pick a night that doesn't appeal to us. Once we decide we give the waiter a "heads up" that some or all of our group won't be in the MDR on that night. So far smooth sailing.

Enjoy your cruise.

Shawn

A scan of some past thread postings and you quickly come to the conclusion that the poster is willing to spend/splurge on other vacation options (or cruiselines) but negative about suites on Celebrity.