Tour Book ahead or wait until on ship

debnjoe1438

Hello, going on an Alaska Cruise tour in June. Wondering if I should purchase excursions on line before I leave or wait until I'm on the ship. (Sun Northbound)

My question to those who have gone to Alaska. Is it safe to wait until I get on the ship to purchase excursion tickets? At the moment I don't have anything I must do. However I have a small concern all may be sold out prior to sailing.

Is there much price difference between private excursions and ship excursions in Alaska.?

I am no expert but based on all of research the ships tours are more expensive by $15 to $40 per person. However you usually need to pay at least half upfront when reserving privately. I can't remember what NCL does but Princess let's you reserve without paying and you can cancel with a few days notice. Maybe you should reserve one or 2 tours of interest since there is little risk now? I can't answer as to the availability of walk up tours.

We are going to Alaska in July. After a lot of research and comparing prices we are all booked for our excursions at all 3 ports with private companies. You should decide what you want to do at each port, do some research and make some decisions and then go ahead and book what you want to do. That way you can be rest assured that you get what you want to do reserved. We are all set with our trip and can relax and know the schedule of what we are going to be doing. That is unless the weather is not cooperative and messes up the plans, I have back up ideas in mind if that happens. Good luck with your planning.

Flight and marine excursions are the first to go on my trip. Otherwise, I booked my excursions on the ship the night before. I just couldn't decide which one as they were all so good. One strategy I had was to check a few times each day to see which one was the near sellout to sign up for.

If you do find a cruise sold out... you can get a cheaper private one at the pier.

Mt. Roberts tram is the only tour to NOT sign up ahead of time. The tram is right at the docks and I would keep looking up the mountain throughout the day to ensure there is no low clouds before I would decide to go up. You should have better luck in June compared to my August trips.

Edited by xlxo

Hello, going on an Alaska Cruise tour in June. Wondering if I should purchase excursions on line before I leave or wait until I'm on the ship. (Sun Northbound)

My question to those who have gone to Alaska. Is it safe to wait until I get on the ship to purchase excursion tickets? At the moment I don't have anything I must do. However I have a small concern all may be sold out prior to sailing.

Is there much price difference between private excursions and ship excursions in Alaska.?

What would be your reason to wait? Uncertain what you want to book? (questions to ask yourself) If you know, what you want there is little advantage to waiting. Flights and small boat tours do fill up, and usually need to be booked in advance.

Independent tours may not have significant cost savings, but the benefit many times is smaller groups, longer tours, more personal tours.

Key, I would think is to have your shore excursions narrowed down and about selected before you leave. Not waiting until the day before. :)

Wouldn't you rather research the vendors and choose someone who is highly recommended by past travelers VERSUS taking your chances with an unknown vendor at the dock???

Plus why waste valuable port time wondering thru the vendor booths? Disembark with a plan and make the most of your time.

I know many people do not like to plan every detail of their trip- but I think Alaska may be one trip that you want to have a plan for each day. Definitely look around on here for ideas for each day or check out tripadvisor. I strongly recommend having plans in place before you go to each port.

What would be your reason to wait? Uncertain what you want to book? (questions to ask yourself) If you know, what you want there is little advantage to waiting. Flights and small boat tours do fill up, and usually need to be booked in advance.

Independent tours may not have significant cost savings, but the benefit many times is smaller groups, longer tours, more personal tours.

Key, I would think is to have your shore excursions narrowed down and about selected before you leave. Not waiting until the day before. :)

Hi, you always give the best help:).....I have a large obc and will be

using it for a couple of excurions......I am sailing to Alaska in May:D

When I go to the excursion desk on the first day, hopefully I will

find the ones I want to do available;).......if not, I will pick a 2nd

choice.

Edited by Lois R

Hi, you always give the best help:).....I have a large obc and will be

using it for a couple of excurions......I am sailing to Alaska in May:D

When I go to the excursion desk on the first day, hopefully I will

find the ones I want to do available;).......if not, I will pick a 2nd

choice.

There should be an option to use a drop box on embarkation day. You may want to take a detour to the shore excursion desk and see if available?

Either way, you may also want to have all your tours selected in advance. :)

Have a great Alaska visit!!!

Good chance you won't be the only ship in port. There could be 8,000 other cruisers in a port at one time. The best excursions are being booked now. If you know what you want why wait? Although we have contingencies I really don't want my second choice.

Good chance you won't be the only ship in port. There could be 8,000 other cruisers in a port at one time. The best excursions are being booked now. If you know what you want why wait? Although we have contingencies I really don't want my second choice.

Have to agree with this. People on my roll calls are already booking and working out what to do. I've started to book some that we are very keen to do.

If it helps I used this site - http://claalaska.com/?page_id=318 to work out how many ships are in port the days we are. Based on the passenger counts for the ships I have a couple of days in port with about 10000 other cruisers! May be less if the ships don't run at full capacity but given the popularity of Alaska I don't think they will be far off.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the advice. I suppose I should start making time to research and plan/book. One other thing which is holding me back is OBC. I have quite a bit with booking and my NCL BOA card has enough for a cruise. Was planning on cashing in some of points. However, if I book ahead, be it ship or private, it would be pointless to cash in the points. (well for this trip :))

Good morning,:) was the question for me or the Original Poster?

There should be an option to use a drop box on embarkation day. You may want to take a detour to the shore excursion desk and see if available?

Either way, you may also want to have all your tours selected in advance. :)

Have a great Alaska visit!!!

Thanks so much:) I have been 3 previous times but it has been 6

years so I am very excited:)....last time I cruised there was Sept 2009!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the advice. I suppose I should start making time to research and plan/book. One other thing which is holding me back is OBC. I have quite a bit with booking and my NCL BOA card has enough for a cruise. Was planning on cashing in some of points. However, if I book ahead, be it ship or private, it would be pointless to cash in the points. (well for this trip :))

Hi Deb, I have a large amount of credit coming to me......the only way

I can use it would be on the ship. So it won't work for me to book

ahead....I want to use my obc.:)

Lois r.,

If you book through your cruise line, ahead of time, won't they charge that against your OBC? I am only really familiar with Princess, but since there is no charge for reserving in advance, when you take the excursion, OBC is used! We are going in mid-June and have booked independent of Princess (we'll use our OBC for other things:) I wanted to be sure to get the tours most important to us. Additionally, one excursion, has had a price hike, so I'm happy to have locked in the lower price. As many have said, it's nice to have it all planned so we don't spend any time dealing with this once our cruise starts. That's just us, however. Have a great cruise.

Lois r.,

If you book through your cruise line, ahead of time, won't they charge that against your OBC? I am only really familiar with Princess, but since there is no charge for reserving in advance, when you take the excursion, OBC is used! We are going in mid-June and have booked independent of Princess (we'll use our OBC for other things:) I wanted to be sure to get the tours most important to us. Additionally, one excursion, has had a price hike, so I'm happy to have locked in the lower price. As many have said, it's nice to have it all planned so we don't spend any time dealing with this once our cruise starts. That's just us, however. Have a great cruise.

Hi, nope. When you book ahead of time, they charged your credit card.

I understand it is an OBC.....On board credit....to be used on board;)

I also understand that there are some tours that may sell out. I don't

mind going to the excursion desk after I board.:)

Different strokes:D

Hi, I'm going to Alaska in September and it is also my first cruise. wanting the security I'm ok with paying a little more to do the cruiseline excursions and have been researching them and reading reviews. The one excursion is limited to 2 groups of 14 so to be safe I'm just going to book mine in advance, plus I like the thought of I've already paid for them and don't have to worry. Obviously seems like OBC is a whole different issue.

Lois R.

Thanks for your response. For those sailing Princess, you are not charged for shore excursions when you reserve, even if you reserve well before you are on board! There is a deadline for canceling, but that's usually not until you're on board (cxl deadlines are different for different tours). So, tour costs can be offset by OBC. You can, if you wish, pre-pay and save your OBC for other things.

Edited by rpcv77
Omission

Lois R.

Thanks for your response. For those sailing Princess, you are not charged for shore excursions when you reserve, even if you reserve well before you are on board! There is a deadline for canceling, but that's usually not until you're on board (cxl deadlines are different for different tours). So, tour costs can be offset by OBC. You can, if you wish, pre-pay and save your OBC for other things.

Ahhh ok, thanks for the explanation too:)...I will be fine though:D

I am not stressing over what will be available and what will be sold

out. It will all work out:)

And for those sailing HAL and NCL, you must use a credit card and pay for the excursions when you book them on-line before your cruise.

If you wait until you board, it will go against any OBC you have.

I was told some excursion slots are held back for booking on-board, so visiting the excursion desk as soon as you board should work.

Hi, Ok so now I am looking at NCL's web site and the White Pass railway excursions. I would like to compare prices, however not having a lot of luck with my google searches. Could you recommend tour company/site. Or would you know who the cruise companies book through?

Thanks a bunch

Hi, Ok so now I am looking at NCL's web site and the White Pass railway excursions. I would like to compare prices, however not having a lot of luck with my google searches. Could you recommend tour company/site. Or would you know who the cruise companies book through?

Thanks a bunch

compare with Chilkoot Charters, M&M Tours and Dyea Dave. All do combo tours. IF just the train, then go to the White Pass RR web site.