Any information on Rouen?

Since you have posted this in the Britain forum, the best information I can tell you about Rouen is that it's in France, and to suggest that you do a search for Rouen in the France forum, where you will find information; you can also post your inquiry there.

(More seriously, and not your fault, the way these Ports of Call fora are divided up geographically can be quite confusing to users.)

Lonely Planet has a good description and ideas about what to do and see.

With its soaring Gothic cathedral, beautifully restored medieval quarter, excellent museums and vibrant cultural life, Rouen is one of Normandy’s most engaging destinations.

The city has had a turbulent history. It was devastated by fire and plague several times during the Middle Ages, and was occupied by the English during the Hundred Years War. The young French heroine Joan of Arc (Jeanne d’Arc) was tried for heresy and burned at the stake in the central square in 1431. And during WWII, Allied bombing raids laid waste to large parts of the city, especially south of the cathedral.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/france/normandy/rouen#ixzz3S6Xt1w2G

Lots of British folk know Normandy pretty well, so not a terrible place to ask :)

Rouen is a pleasant and very historic city - lots of links to English royal history and where Joan of Arc met her unfortunate end. The cathedral is well worth seeing and there is an ancient clock of some renown. Rouen was very badly damaged in the war, but if I remember a lot of the medieval stuff has been well restored.

It's been a few years since I was there, so I can't be very up to date. But worth a visit if you are in that part of Normandy.

I'm sure you've heard of that ��new invention GOOGLE!

I centainly have, but I am asking for first hand experience of people who have first hand information. Having used Cruise critic for many years, you are the first person who is RUDE! Actually I am surprised of your answer as you are from the Cotswald, UK. One of my favorite places, our family is from Upper Slaughter.

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

I centainly have, but I am asking for first hand experience of people who have first hand information. Having used Cruise critic for many years, you are the first person who is RUDE! Actually I am surprised of your answer as you are from the Cotswald, UK. One of my favorite places, our family is from Upper Slaughter.

The poster you quoted is from Philadelphia. The location you mention is mine and I gave you my first hand information about Rouen :)

Since you have posted this in the Britain forum, the best information I can tell you about Rouen is that it's in France, and to suggest that you do a search for Rouen in the France forum, where you will find information; you can also post your inquiry there.

(More seriously, and not your fault, the way these Ports of Call fora are divided up geographically can be quite confusing to users.)

Sorry we are on British Isles cruise and have been getting answers here. We stop in Le Havre, not going to Paris, not friendly to U.S. Rather go where people are friendly to us.

The poster you quoted is from Philadelphia. The location you mention is mine and I gave you my first hand information about Rouen :)

Please accept my apologies, I am correcting myself. Went to that persons remark and stated Rude. Of course I know how to use Google and I do lots of research, for my cruise and cruise mates. I am always happy to share information with anyone.

Sorry we are on British Isles cruise and have been getting answers here. We stop in Le Havre, not going to Paris, not friendly to U.S. Rather go where people are friendly to us.

We are also Americans and have visited Paris (and other places in France) and found the Parisians quite friendly toward us. In fact, we had a wonderful time and are going back later this year.

Have you actually been to Paris (in which case I am sorry if you had a bad experience) or are you relying on other than first-hand information? (I'm not suggesting you visit Paris from Le Havre, it's too far for one day, I just don't want you to rule out visiting Paris at some other time if you haven't been there.)

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

We did a visit from Le Harve to Rouen a few years ago. It is a nice visit and worth seeing. The journey is one drawback but we had already seen Le Harve.

Honfleur is another good alternative a little closer.

Wet have never been tempted by the much longer journey to Paris though.

Edited by helpthejuggler

We did a visit from Le Harve to Rouen a few years ago. It is a nice visit and worth seeing. The journey is one drawback but we had already seen Le Harve.

Honfleur is another good alternative a little closer.

Wet have never been tempted by the much longer journey to Paris though.

To get to Honfleur would we take a train from LeHavre?

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

To get to Honfleur would we take a train from LeHavre?

I am not sure about the train But I remember there is a station.

We did a ship booked waking tour then had a few hours. Friends of ours shared a taxi between 4 which is another option but I do not think it was cheaper for them but they had more control over timings.

The station is not close to the port so you would need a taxi.

• 4 weeks later...

Two summers ago we stopped in Le Harve on our cruise. Four of us arranged for a taxi and first went to Giverny and toured Monet's house and famous gardens then we went to Rouen for lunch next to the big cathedral. We toured the cathedral which had the story of Joan of Arc told inside on posters. We walked from there to the old city center under the famous clock and on to the square where the Joan of Arcs monument stands. We enjoyed this small city. People were friendly. It was a full day but a wonderful one.

We also spent a nice day in Rouen when we docked in Le Havre. Was very easy to take the train to Rouen from Le Havre. Very charming half timbered houses in Rouen.

Among the sights we enjoyed in Rouen:

Rouen Cathedral (Notre Dame)

Joan of Arc Tower

St Ouen

Church of Saint Maclou

Aître St-Maclou

Gros Horloge (Great Clock)

Place du Vieux Marché

Musée Jeanne d'Arc

Ste Jeanne d'Arc church

Palais de Justice

The old part of the city is very compact and walkable.

Link to Map of Rouen (shows the location of the train station - Gare SNCF- Rive Droite): http://france-for-visitors.com/france-maps/normandy/rouen-map-supersize.html

Links:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/france/normandy/rouen

http://www.rouentourisme.com/?tabid=2508&language=en-US

I don't know why you think it is acceptable to you to toss around hostile comments like [Parisians are] "not friendly to the US" but you get bent out of shape when someone -- admittedly snarkily -- reacts to your asking a question about a French city on the British Isles Board.

Please reconsider how your own hostility comes across to the many posters who love Paris and have been treated with nothing but kindness by the French people we've encountered.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Parisians rude? Pas de tout!

There is a trope that Parisians are rude. In fact even provincial French people will tell you how ill mannered they are. As a visitor to that city it has not been my general experience with the exception of waiters in restaurants. Bistros Cafés and snack bars are fine, but if you want a proper sit down meal with tablecloths and a wine waiter, be prepared to learn French first as they will make no concession to any lazy foreigner.

Parisiennes are also impossibly manicured and coiffed which can be off-putting - even the most lowly shop assistant in a hardware shop will look as if she has stepped off the Vogue front page.

I read this amusing article recently: http://moreintelligentlife.co.uk/story/parisians-rude-pas-du-tout?page=full

You approach a pair of shop assistants in the wonderfully chaotic DIY basement at BHV, the department store next to the Hôtel de Ville, who appear to have been trained not to interrupt their conversation as you draw near. In fact, they have perfected the art of not even catching your eye, while you wait in disbelief in front of them. I didn’t realise it then, but a “Bonjour Madame” would have brought their conversation to an instant halt, and located those 5cm masonry nails in moments.

and

Most of our Parisian friends would never dream of taking their children to Disneyland. Their Paris is defined, walled, sheltered by the périphérique. Their kids can ride the authentic painted horses on the Belle Epoque manèges (carousels) of Paris, so why head to a rival, invented fantasyland? They don’t see the France that has opened its arms to American-style living—vast hypermarkets, multiplex cinemas, drive-in McDonald’s—in a way that would shock the left-bank guardians of good taste.
Edited by Bob++

There is a trope that Parisians are rude. [The author of the magazine article] "didn’t realise it then, but a 'Bonjour Madame' would have brought their conversation to an instant halt, and located those 5cm masonry nails in moments."

Trope is exactly the right word: a commonly recurring cliché. Doesn't mean it's true.

If visitors learn a few simple words/phrases in the language of the country -- "Hello", "please", "thank you", and "good bye" -- they'll be amazed by the happy results. Add to that a few behavioral conventions (e.g. greet the retail staff when entering a small store or at the counter of a large department store) and visits will go better everywhere.

Two summers ago we stopped in Le Harve on our cruise. Four of us arranged for a taxi and first went to Giverny and toured Monet's house and famous gardens then we went to Rouen for lunch next to the big cathedral. We toured the cathedral which had the story of Joan of Arc told inside on posters. We walked from there to the old city center under the famous clock and on to the square where the Joan of Arcs monument stands. We enjoyed this small city. People were friendly. It was a full day but a wonderful one.

Do you remember around how much the taxi cost? We are talking to another couple who want to go to Rouen with us.

The current train fare is EUR 32 per person. There is a train out at 10:00 and a return at 16:00. The journey takes about an hour. A taxi from the port to the station would be around EUR 12.

It is around 90k by road and I suspect that a taxi would easily be 4 times more expensive and no faster.

Does the cruise line not offer an shuttle?