Why stop in San Juan? - Just curious.

Spike2000

• 1 month later...

After many dozens of Caribbean cruises, San Juan remains one of my favorite ports. We always enjoy stops there and love when we have a late sail away and can have dinner ashore. The food in San Juan is so good. Lots of really good restaurants. The architecture is beautiful, weather usually wonderful, great 'umbrella drinks' :), a wonderful vibe to Old San Juan that I enjoy.

Wow the OP is missing out one of the best ports in the Caribbean. The best thing to do is get out of Old San Juan if you have seen it too many times. Puerto Rico has some of the most incredible sites I have ever seen and I travel a lot. The key is to get out there and explore the rest of the Island it is an amazing place with a great culture. Good luck and have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

We are flying to San Juan two days before our cruise and staying one day after. Any suggestions as to some nice hotels would be helpful. We are also looking for a nice beach to go to while there.

What are the chances of finding gluten free food while there? Unfortunately, I have to be on a very strict gf diet. I know my husband is excited to try some local food.:)

• 3 months later...
Is this a port I can get off ship and comfortably walk around without booking an excursion?

There are lots of great excursions, but you can easily just spend the time in Old Town San Juan walking around and visiting the many shops. There are also a couple of forts, parks, restaurants, etc. There's a hop on hop off trolley they goes all around for free.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

The times I have been to San Juan were only on cruises that embarked from there. I did have one cruise that I had to cancel that had San Juan as a port. We enjoy going to San Juan and whenever we sail from there, we always go at least 2 days before we sail.

I would say that I feel that way about St Thomas as we have been there it seems like millions of times. I could easily just stay on the ship there.