Real ale or beer on board

leehal

Anyone any comments on the Gastrobar and the quality and selection of beers/ales that are available? What are the other bars like?

I'm not expecting a great selection of draught and certainly not any hand pull ales, however, I hope that they keep a full stock of the other bottled beers for me to try. Going with the premium package in anticipation!

Anyone any comments on the Gastrobar and the quality and selection of beers/ales that are available? What are the other bars like?

I'm not expecting a great selection of draught and certainly not any hand pull ales, however, I hope that they keep a full stock of the other bottled beers for me to try. Going with the premium package in anticipation!

Gastro bar menu from X Equinox.....

http://moreton.co.uk/ebaypics/GastroBar Equinox001.pdf

The only thing on draught on any Celebrity ship that we have found is Heineken and Anstel. Not great but drinkable.

A month or so ago they only had Newcastle Brown on tap. The list wasn't entirely accurate and by the end of 11 days they were out of most if not all of the IPAs. Having said that, I did enjoy trying some different things that I would never order if I was paying by the drink.

As far as other bars go, the best you can hope for IMHO is Sierra Nevada Pale or Sam Adams.

Sorry to dissapoint, but my experience of either Gastrobar or speciality beers in general on Celebrity ships has been poor. The menu is a guide at best, and stocks of the more exotic beers are limited, with new supplies being ordered via Miami as all the ship food etc. In addition all the beers are kept highly chilled which may be good for Lager beers but is no good for ales as you lose the subtle flavours. Just my findings.

Edited by harz99

We were recently on the Eclipse. The Wine bar has not yet been converted. They had a good list of beers on the Wine Bar menu, but almost none of them were available. I suspect they are in transition. I found the beer choices more limiting than on the Eclipse last year. They did not have any Fullers this year not even the London Pride. (I like the Fuller's Vintage Ale)

Bottom line is the choice is obviously depending on the ship and timing. I will surely miss the Michael's club international beer selection on the Silhouette and Reflection. (I know that I was in the minority as it was seldom busy) I am hoping the expanded beer selection is being transferred to another location on all the ships.