Asking Concierge to make Dining Reservations

tymike

Hi all...

I have a sailing party of 6 spread through three cabins on the BA in July. Myself and my BF are in in an H7 so we have access to the concierge services etc. The other two cabins are balconies. I wondered if I could ask the concierge to make reservations for 6 at any given restaurant on any given night or can he/she only make reservations for the two of us who are staying in the actual Haven? I have sailed in suites on NCL before but when I sailed with family/friends they were also in the Haven so this a new situation for us.

The other two cabins are occupied by two of my kids (ages 20 and 22) and a friend or two and it would be a shame if we couldn't all meet for dinner at least most nights.

Has anyone had experience with this situation?

Thanks as always!

Hi all...

I have a sailing party of 6 spread through three cabins on the BA in July. Myself and my BF are in in an H7 so we have access to the concierge services etc. The other two cabins are balconies. I wondered if I could ask the concierge to make reservations for 6 at any given restaurant on any given night or can he/she only make reservations for the two of us who are staying in the actual Haven? I have sailed in suites on NCL before but when I sailed with family/friends they were also in the Haven so this a new situation for us.

The other two cabins are occupied by two of my kids (ages 20 and 22) and a friend or two and it would be a shame if we couldn't all meet for dinner at least most nights.

Thanks as always!

The concierge will make your group reservation - we did this one night

It's the same workload for them to do a reservation for two or six, we often have dinners with other people and never have had any problems making reservations through the concierge.

Demonyte has it right.

And I've never had the Concierge ask for the "suite credentials" of those dining together ;)

I need to amend my response.

On our first NCL suite cruise, each time I asked the Concierge about dinner reservations, the response was [and I quote]:

"But they won't hold a table for you."

So finally, the Concierge got what she apparently wanted... we didn't bother to ask.

And on the NEXT NCL suite cruise, we simply asked, got a call back confirming (and for one night, asking if a different time would be okay - it was fine), and then an updated dining schedule soon appeared on our table.

(Now we know we should have spoken to someone about that first Concierge. Butler was only slightly better. The second cruise is what has sold us on "suites forever" :) )

It *should* be very easy.

GeezerCouple

Hi all...

Thanks as always!

I beg to differ. Why would you even ask the Concierge to risk their job. All it takes is one Haven guest to even think that they are being put on a second burner while the Concierge is freelancing for tips, will surely be taken to the HD and most likely Corporate post cruise. I think the Concierge on BA is Kadek who has many years with NCL as a butler then Assistant Concierge and now Concierge, I'm sure he doesn't want to say no and that's probably one of the least words he uses. IMO make your own reservations and don't put him in that situation.

I know that someone staying in any cabin on the ship can make a reservation for up to 8 online by themselves, regardless of whether or not there are just 2 in the party. Since we can do it ourselves, I would assume that a concierge can do it. But why bother? It takes 1 minute.

I beg to differ. Why would you even ask the Concierge to risk their job.

Your concern is misplaced. As long as a Haven or suite passenger is part of the group, it's fine to ask the concierge to make the reservation.

Edited by Pikaia

I beg to differ. Why would you even ask the Concierge to risk their job. All it takes is one Haven guest to even think that they are being put on a second burner while the Concierge is freelancing for tips, will surely be taken to the HD and most likely Corporate post cruise. I think the Concierge on BA is Kadek who has many years with NCL as a butler then Assistant Concierge and now Concierge, I'm sure he doesn't want to say no and that's probably one of the least words he uses. IMO make your own reservations and don't put him in that situation.

I disagree with the statement that asking for the concierge to make a reservation would risk the concierge's job. They are making a reservation in a public restaurant - 1 phone call. We have often had a concierge ask how many would be dining and not just assume it was the 2 people traveling.

I do agree that you can just call and make your own reservations though. Call restaurant - reserve time; if not time preferred, pick another. Call concierge - make request. Wait for concierge to call back to confirm; if not time preferred, pick another time/place & wait for concierge to call back again.

On Holland America I can make a dinner reservation as easily as the concierge. On NCL the concierge has more "power" to get whatever reservation wanted. I know if I ask an NCL concierge to get a reservation, I will get some form of a positive response.

I've had the concierge tell us there was no availability when we wanted to go but then walked up to the restaurant and been seated immediately. Maybe they had cancellations in the interim...

Your concern is misplaced. As long as a Haven or suite passenger is part of the group, it's fine to ask the concierge to make the reservation.

Exactly! As long as the Haven/suite person is part of the dining reservation, it is no problem for them or the Concierge. Not sure where Leavethekidswithmom came up with that incorrect information. :rolleyes:

It is not advisable to ask for reservations that do not include the Haven/suite people.

Edited by peg013

Hi all...

Thanks as always!

Do you realize that you can make your own reservations online starting 90 days prior to sailing?

I encourage you to do this. You are asked for one name only and the number of guests in the party. It doesn't matter who the guests are, or where they are staying on the ship.

We have waited and asked the concierge on multiple occasions and the response has been I'm sorry but the restaurant is full for the day that you wanted.

There is no reason at all to wait until you are on board to take care of this need.

Do you realize that you can make your own reservations online starting 90 days prior to sailing?

(snip)

There is no reason at all to wait until you are on board to take care of this need.

Well, actually there is. If you don't have UDP, you have to pay for specialty restaurant reservations ahead of time. You can't use OBC to pay for them until you are on board.

But you can definitely make MDR reservations ahead of time at no charge.

Hi again! OP here. I wanted to thank everyone for their views and opinions on this matter. I especially thank those who suggested I make reservations prior to boarding but as a prior post points out, the UDP negates that possibility. All six of us have the UDP so prior reservations undoes the whole value of the perk.

My working theory is that I will speak with the concierge when boarding and abide by whatever he/she says about the issue. We have sailed the BA once before so we get how crowded it can be and we are very relaxed about this trip.

Again, my thanks to all for the lively discussion and for all your help!

Hi again! OP here. I wanted to thank everyone for their views and opinions on this matter. I especially thank those who suggested I make reservations prior to boarding but as a prior post points out, the UDP negates that possibility. All six of us have the UDP so prior reservations undoes the whole value of the perk.

My working theory is that I will speak with the concierge when boarding and abide by whatever he/she says about the issue. We have sailed the BA once before so we get how crowded it can be and we are very relaxed about this trip.

If you have the UDP, you don't pay for dining reservations in advance.

?? This confuses me. Since you have UDP you CAN make reservations ahead of time and you don't have to pay. When you check out, the total would be $0.

The UDP allows you to make your reservations without any payment due. You can make them at 100 days out if you are in a suite or 90 days out if you are not. I would make reservations for everyone as soon as you can. The others don't even have to have the UDP for you to make a reservation for them and they don't pay until they are finished with their meal.

I just did this in September. We had the UDP but our adult kids didn't and neither did other relatives who were not in a suite. I made reservations for all of us online the morning of the 100th day. I forget whether it was LeBistro or Cagneys that I had to make an extra reservation because they were only available by twos. I had the concierge cancel the one we didn't need. You can have the concierge make any changes you want made on the ship.

Holy cow!

I truly thought that even with the UDP reservations made before departure had to be paid up front! I stand happily corrected! Thank you! I'll be reserving tomorrow!!!:):)

:) :cool: Have fun on your cruise. :)

Hi all...

Thanks as always!

That is the thing we use our concierge for the most.