"LIVE" from the Oasis of the Seas - February 21, 2015

niksmom630

There really are people on this ship...

2B733102-5EE4-4574-A3FB-9CBFCA0E2517_zpsz3szysev.jpg

C5FB50C9-74D5-4F2F-8B27-E7C2145E03B7_zpsazo7dtmu.jpg

The diamond lounge at one time was located on deck 6 overlooking the Promenade.

The door now has this sign on it....

B0ECEDE7-0719-43F8-AAE4-5C4181B659B4_zpsf4febknp.jpg

But the outdoor seating area behind the door that overlooks the Promenade is still intact

DCA18852-98AB-4FAD-A8E4-A95C72194902_zpsrjwqemci.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you SO much for all your wonderful postings. Did you say before that you are sailing again on May 2nd. with me?

I wish I was....but no, nothing booked until next February on Brilliance. 😢

It appears the Michael Kors store is not finished yet? DO you know when is it supposed to open?

It's not finished yet, but they were working on it feverishly this week....not sure when it is slated to open, but I thought it rather odd, actually....three purse stores, since Coach and Kate Spade are already there....

Are you speaking of the MDR?

Technically each floor is a different restaurant, but the changes just consisted of some redecoration and new signs at the entrances.

Is the assignment of the traditional and MTD interspersed as previously or to a specific dining room(s). The reason why I ask is the traditional for my March 26, 2016 is all sold out--would you believe--and we were assigned from DD to MTD which pisses me off, as this is a family cruise and there are 3 children involved all under 10. What really annoys me is that we just made D+ and one of the benefits is the ability to have first crack at dining times. What crock!

Is the assignment of the traditional and MTD interspersed as previously or to a specific dining room(s). The reason why I ask is the traditional for my March 26, 2016 is all sold out--would you believe--and we were assigned from DD to MTD which pisses me off, as this is a family cruise and there are 3 children involved all under 10. What really annoys me is that we just made D+ and one of the benefits is the ability to have first crack at dining times. What crock!

I believe that deck 3 (American Icon) is traditional, deck 5 (Silk) is MTD, and deck 4 (Grande) is either MTD or traditional depending on how much space they need for ether MTD or traditional on each particular cruise.

Your inability to get traditional dining could be because there is a chance that DD will be on your cruise. I booked my May 23 cruise only 2 months ago, and at first we were given DD, then switched to MTD, then waitlisted for 6pm dining (by choice, obviously), and then just clear the waitlist about 2 weeks ago. I'd say that if you can secure a waitlist spot, you should be fine getting Traditional dining on your cruise, that is, if traditional dining will still be on your cruise.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

It appears that both decks 4 and 5 are all MTD. Only deck 3 is traditional, so I'm not surprised it's sold out. We had a similar problem...three of the 5 of us were in traditional early dining, and the other two were in late dining. The only way we could get seating together was to all move to MTD. Perhaps they did this in order to prepare for DD, and managing more complex reservation systems, but I can tell you from experience it is not working well on Oasis. I saw lines 10 to 15 deep in both the reservation and non reservation lines every night, with lots of people who'd already gone through the line standing around still waiting to be seated. Staff running around frantically talking on phones, and herding people around like cattle. Formal nights were the worst....sorry wish I had better news to report 😔

I believe that deck 3 (American Icon) is traditional, deck 5 (Silk) is MTD, and deck 4 (Grande) is either MTD or traditional depending on how much space they need for ether MTD or traditional on each particular cruise.

Your inability to get traditional dining could be because there is a chance that DD will be on your cruise. I booked my May 23 cruise only 2 months ago, and at first we were given DD, then switched to MTD, then waitlisted for 6pm dining (by choice, obviously), and then just clear the waitlist about 2 weeks ago. I'd say that if you can secure a waitlist spot, you should be fine getting Traditional dining on your cruise, that is, if traditional dining will still be on your cruise.

ation

Gee, I did not realize that the change was that dramatic. We just came off the Quantum and although American Icon Grille was nice it would be a complete bore for the entire week as the menu did not change. Likewise, from a MTD, Silk's menu is limited and Grande is formal only. Brings a different problem for us.

DD, from my perspective as compared to what you described, seems so much better. It would be so much better if all of the restaurants were in the MTD rotation.

I've heard someone talk about RCL'S going to a rotational dining concept--anyone have any update.

Edited by nelblu

Gee, I did not realize that the change was that dramatic. We just came off the Quantum and although American Icon Grille was nice it would be a complete bore for the entire week as the menu did not change. Likewise, from a MTD, Silk's menu is limited and Grande is formal only. Brings a different problem for us.

DD, from my perspective as compared to what you described, seems so much better.

I've heard someone talk about RCL'S going to a rotational dining concept--anyone have any update.

Until Oasis gets DD, the restaurants are using the regular rotating MDR menus, not the DD menus, so it doesn't matter which floor you get assigned to. There will be two formal nights on a 7 day cruise that will be applied to all three floors. It's basically running as it used to, but the names of each floor are just different.

There's plenty of threads about this, but Royal is not going to a rotational dining concept. On the ships with DD, they are adding a "Classic" option which allows you rotate through the restaurants at a set time each night (early or late), and keep the same waiter/assistant. This is in addition to regular DD.

Until Oasis gets DD, the restaurants are using the regular rotating MDR menus, not the DD menus, so it doesn't matter which floor you get assigned to. There will be two formal nights on a 7 day cruise that will be applied to all three floors. It's basically running as it used to, but the names of each floor are just different.

There's plenty of threads about this, but Royal is not going to a rotational dining concept. On the ships with DD, they are adding a "Classic" option which allows you rotate through the restaurants at a set time each night (early or late), and keep the same waiter/assistant. This is in addition to regular DD.

Hope you don't mind continuing this conversation. For clarification, the menus are more extensive than the present DD concept. Also, does Oasis have a Classic option will allow you to rotate the various restaurants and the same waiters.

I value you opinion as you are experienced with Oasis dining, what would be your recommendation with the facts that I described. If I can get a set time for MTD is that the best option ?

Hope you don't mind continuing this conversation. For clarification, the menus are more extensive than the present DD concept. Also, does Oasis have a Classic option will allow you to rotate the various restaurants and the same waiters.

I value you opinion as you are experienced with Oasis dining, what would be your recommendation with the facts that I described. If I can get a set time for MTD is that the best option ?

Don't mind at all. Yes the menus are more extensive and change each night. Have you seen the regular MDR menus before? Here is a link: http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-kit/9/culinary-press-kit/ (Go to Main Dining Room Menus)

I'm not positive, but I'm assuming that once DD begins on Oasis, there will be a Classic option. However, that is not an option now, because they currently still have traditional dining.

My recommendation? I would personally try my best to get on a waitlist for a traditional dining time, because form what I've read on here, MTD on Oasis seems to be a disaster. If you can't do that and have to remain on MTD, I would make sure I have reservations each night, preferably not at a peak time, and hope for the best.

Don't mind at all. Yes the menus are more extensive and change each night. Have you seen the regular MDR menus before? Here is a link: http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-kit/9/culinary-press-kit/ (Go to Main Dining Room Menus)

I'm not positive, but I'm assuming that once DD begins on Oasis, there will be a Classic option. However, that is not an option now, because they currently still have traditional dining.

My recommendation? I would personally try my best to get on a waitlist for a traditional dining time, because form what I've read on here, MTD on Oasis seems to be a disaster. If you can't do that and have to remain on MTD, I would make sure I have reservations each night, preferably not at a peak time, and hope for the best.

Thanks for your input.

I've been following your review from post 1, as we will be on Oasis for a b2b starting 25th April. Thanks so much for taking the time out of your holiday time to do this.

We originally went for MTD anyway, as our last few cruises have been on Celeb and it has worked brilliantly. Just have to hope things are marginally better in 8 weeks!

Thanks again for your effort.

Simon

Any idea what is considered peak time?

Any idea what is considered peak time?

6-7 pm according to the MDR manager... I'll be back with the rest of my remaining photos and a few tips and other info...sitting on the plane that's been delayed now over 2 hours....I think it's a sign! 👍 I should get off this plane and hop back on another ship!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did mtd on freedom in oct we did the same time every night 530 got the same waiter and same table . So i would hope if u do tge same here it would work the same. I am praying. But who knows by next February what will be. We even sat our selves every night we checked in and wslk to our table alone

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

We did mtd on freedom in oct we did the same time every night 530 got the same waiter and same table . So i would hope if u do tge same here it would work the same. I am praying. But who knows by next February what will be. We even sat our selves every night we checked in and wslk to our table alone

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

I'm hoping to get a favorable response from the dining dept., otherwise will follow your suggestion. What is amazing is that leading up to the Quantum sail everything about DD was catastrophic and the end of RCL as a viable sail, however we found the process, except for a couple of hiccups, to be exceptionally easy and the food quality better than on other ships. Haven't read too many negatives with regards to the Allure or Oasis dining process. Found this to be a problem by accident.

We just got off Oasis this morning. We requested and got the traditional 6pm early seating in the MDR and were on Deck 3 in the American Icon Grille although there was a fiasco the first night because there were already 2 people sitting at our table when we arrived, (double booked). The maitre'd worked his magic and found an even better table for 2 that we whole heartedly preferred over the original table (original table was way in the very back in an 'island' and was very dark with no view). We were happy. No lines or waiting for us. Our waitress Elizabet from Peru, was sensational - we were usually finished with dessert by 6:45. We never waited more than 5 minutes for our food to arrive and it was absolutely delicious each night. They rotated menues so each night was a different theme - Saffron, Pomodoro, Basil, Miso, etc. It was tough trying to decide what to order and everything we tried was outstanding. We had lobster tail on the 2nd formal night which also competed with the prime rib....I saw several people order both and got 2 plates. Personally, I can't eat that much. The lobster was perfect - hot, moist and delicious. I can't say enough about the MDR...both for breakfast and dinner. We ate lunches at the Windjammer, which was also very good but they had so many varieties of food that it was hard to decide what to eat. I saw a lot of people carrying two plates. So, my opinion of the dining on Oasis - it was fabulous and I have no negatives to report. Oh wait, one negative....they need more than 2 frozen yogurt machines on Deck 15 or longer hours for each.

We just got off Oasis this morning. We requested and got the traditional 6pm early seating in the MDR and were on Deck 3 in the American Icon Grille although there was a fiasco the first night because there were already 2 people sitting at our table when we arrived, (double booked). The maitre'd worked his magic and found an even better table for 2 that we whole heartedly preferred over the original table (original table was way in the very back in an 'island' and was very dark with no view). We were happy. No lines or waiting for us. Our waitress Elizabet from Peru, was sensational - we were usually finished with dessert by 6:45. We never waited more than 5 minutes for our food to arrive and it was absolutely delicious each night. They rotated menues so each night was a different theme - Saffron, Pomodoro, Basil, Miso, etc. It was tough trying to decide what to order and everything we tried was outstanding. We had lobster tail on the 2nd formal night which also competed with the prime rib....I saw several people order both and got 2 plates. Personally, I can't eat that much. The lobster was perfect - hot, moist and delicious. I can't say enough about

the MDR...both for breakfast and dinner. We ate lunches at the Windjammer, which was also very good but they had so many varieties of food that it was hard to decide what to eat. I saw a lot of people carrying two plates. So, my opinion of the dining on Oasis - it was fabulous and I have no negatives to report. Oh wait, one negative....they need more than 2 frozen yogurt machines on Deck 15 or longer hours for each.

I thought Oasis had 4 yogurt machines--2 on either side of the kiddy pools.

It appears that both decks 4 and 5 are all MTD. Only deck 3 is traditional, so I'm not surprised it's sold out. We had a similar problem...three of the 5 of us were in traditional early dining, and the other two were in late dining. The only way we could get seating together was to all move to MTD. Perhaps they did this in order to prepare for DD, and managing more complex reservation systems, but I can tell you from experience it is not working well on Oasis. I saw lines 10 to 15 deep in both the reservation and non reservation lines every night, with lots of people who'd already gone through the line standing around still waiting to be seated. Staff running around frantically talking on phones, and herding people around like cattle. Formal nights were the worst....sorry wish I had better news to report 😔

Chris, thank you for the amazing live report. You made this a very fun week for me. :)

The only ray of hope for MTD I can give is arriving early. We used it for three night on Oasis back in January and had no problems or lines but we ate at 5:30. The third night we didn't even have a reservation. We also managed to get the same wait staff for all three nights.