St Petersburg

cstrick

We are booking our tours for this summer's cruise of the Baltic region. I know that you either have to have a visa or be in an organized tour. One of the requirements for the private tours is your passport. Will we have any problem getting our passports back from the purser ? Has anyone done private tours ?

We are booking our tours for this summer's cruise of the Baltic region. I know that you either have to have a visa or be in an organized tour. One of the requirements for the private tours is your passport. Will we have any problem getting our passports back from the purser ? Has anyone done private tours ?

No - you should have no problem at all getting your passport in SPB from the purser. In fact, you must have it with you to get into SPB regardless of what tour you are on.

Our passports were never taken from on us on our Marina Baltic cruise last August. Gave them right back to us after check in procedure. and..yes, we did private tours. No problem using the tour ticket as your visa along with your passport. They now scan the passport in St. Petersburg instead of having to fill out an immigration form.

Edited by arima22

Hi

You will get your passport(s) back in time for your visit.

I can recommend Dancing Bear Tours, Julia will need your passport details on line and will email you a visa. She runs small group tours and is very knowledgeable . Don't bother with local currency most will take US$ (not creased or torn) Have a great trip,we had three days on Marina a couple of years back and really enjoyed it.

regards,

Josie

You will have your passport so don't worry.

We used Red October for private tours and were very happy with the price and itinerary which you can help shape

We were in SPB for 3 days on Marina last August and did a "private" tour with 3 other couples. If your budget allows, consider doing a truly private tour. You will have better control over time spent at things that interest you and less time spent on restroom breaks.

One couple in our group did not care for anything religious so tried to rush us thru several fabulous churches. We were scheduled to see both the Palace and gardens at Peterhof but as we exited the palace, it started to rain. The majority voted to return to Marina so we left without seeing the world famous fountains, cascades and pavilions.

Hopefully we will get back to St. Petersburg and arrange our own private tour.

Would highly recommend Denrus. We were in a group of nine in total in a comfortable mini bus. Guide was very knowledgeable and managed to get us in to all the places of interest without having to queue, including the Hermitage. She would hear by phone, from other guides I think, how the queues were, and we did some places in a slightly different order over the two days to ensure we had as much time as possible actually enjoying the visits when there were less people around. In addition to the main palaces, churches, gardens etc, she also took us on the subway to show us some of the beautiful stations and the included lunches were excellent. We thought we might never be back there again so felt it was worth every penny.

We were in SPB with Renaissance in May '01 which was before most of these companies came into existence (Red October, Denrus, etc.). We used a private guide who was really private. She is no longer doing this work so I'm not trying to tout anyone to her ...

But I've seen many positive reports of all of these outfits that set up business after we were there. Based on the reports I have seen, I'd opt for any one of them. I have ONLY seen recommendations, never a criticism.

Mura