HAL vs Oceania

Hflors

Viking ocean needs to vastly improve their food based on our River cruise last summer. I would need to read multiple reviews before I booked. On a scale to ten I would give it a five for food.

I was very put off by their pay in advance rules, we did not. We got a last minute inclusive deal from one of the Internet agencies selling cruises and vacations online, including air and transfers. The price was so good I didn't worry about air deviation issues or upgrades. They flew us on Delta coach.

yes I am waiting to see the reviews

it will 2016 for us to cruise ;)

This is an issue that keeps us away from Oceania (despite many phone calls from one of their reps). DW and I have no interest in their airfare since we usually spend significant time (both pre and post cruise) on land. But when you ask Oceania for a cruise only price they give you a very small adjustment for cruise-only...making their pricing too high for our taste. I actually complained to an Oceania rep that it seems like Oceania does not really care to sell cruise-only (which he denied).

Hank

For Europe, the included air, with a deviation fee, can still sometimes represent a savings....particularly in high season. With deviations, you can ask for different airports than what would have been included. You can also extend your trip by a significant amount of days before and after the cruise. For these type requests it is helpful to have a TA that really knows O.

Next cruise, which isn't until June 2016, I'm planning on requesting a deviation for the flight after the cruise, flying out of CDG rather LHR and staying an extra week in France. I can't request the diversion yet as it's too early to book air. I've checked what airfares would cost this year for the dates - and it looks like $1700, so I'm pretty sure even with the deviation fee we'll save money. Last year, we did the Baltic with O and the airfare with deviation was cheaper than I could do on our own. We used hotel miles before and after to extend the trip on land. And, best of all, we were assigned a balcony for our inside guarantee and then offered an upgrade to a PH suite for $300 pp.

However, contrary to what you posted, there is an indoor smoking venue.

When people can't go outside, the smokers are still accommodated on Oceania. They aren't totally out of luck, as they would be on some cruise lines.

Where is this inside smoking area? I never came across it while on an O cruise on the Riviera.

Where is this inside smoking area? I never came across it while on an O cruise on the Riviera.

I don't recall precisely, as I got to that area only once, and stayed away for the duration of the cruise.

I remember it was on port side, on a higher deck. I think it was the same deck as you exit the Riviera's equivalent of the Crow's Nest. I know the next time I went to that venue I deliberately used starboard, and avoiding the smoke smell was the probable reason.

Milkshakes! MILKSHAKES!!

Chocolate??

Oh oh!!

Don't tell my husband! His one consistent complaint with HAL: no milkshakes. He would even pay for them (!!!!).

Yes, real milkshakes. :) Including chocolate milkshakes. :D With as many scoops of ice cream as you wanted!

The only problem I found was they didn't have coffee syrup for the coffee milkshakes, but there was syrup added for the chocolate ones.

Pick a table and put your things down. Go to the hamburger stand and put in your order, giving them the table number. Then, step to the next window and order your milkshake. By the time you return to your table with your drink, your food is on its way to you.

It was delicious!

The one thing I didn't like about Waves (equivalent of Dive-in) or the Terrace Grill (equivalent of the Lido) was that people were not encouraged to sit there when it wasn't meal time. The outside of Terrace Grill was about the only outdoor space to enjoy the sea, but even when food wasn't being served, people were discouraged from going out there. Both areas were truly restaurants only.

I just compared the "brochure prices" for a balcony on both Oceania and HAL for similar 7 day cruises.

HAL was about $2000 pp

Oceania was about $8000 pp

That is surprising :eek:

Where is the cruise to??

Are you looking at the inflated brochure price or the real price people pay?

Airfare is included in the price so be sure to add that to the HAL bottom line when comparing

I have not seen a 7 day cruise for $8000 PP for a lower balcony

That is surprising :eek:

Where is the cruise to??

Are you looking at the inflated brochure price or the real price people pay?

Airfare is included in the price so be sure to add that to the HAL bottom line when comparing

I have not seen a 7 day cruise for $8000 PP for a lower balcony

I tried to be clear in using quotation marks around the term "Brochure Price".

Cruises were Caribbean and included Central American stops.

I don't really care one way or another - I was just satisfying my curiosity. :rolleyes:

Yes, real milkshakes. :) Including chocolate milkshakes. :D With as many scoops of ice cream as you wanted!

The only problem I found was they didn't have coffee syrup for the coffee milkshakes, but there was syrup added for the chocolate ones.

Pick a table and put your things down. Go to the hamburger stand and put in your order, giving them the table number. Then, step to the next window and order your milkshake. By the time you return to your table with your drink, your food is on its way to you.

It was delicious!

The one thing I didn't like about Waves (equivalent of Dive-in) or the Terrace Grill (equivalent of the Lido) was that people were not encouraged to sit there when it wasn't meal time. The outside of Terrace Grill was about the only outdoor space to enjoy the sea, but even when food wasn't being served, people were discouraged from going out there. Both areas were truly restaurants only.

Ruth

Thanks for the information about the milkshakes! Yum! When we sail together some day on HAL maybe they'll have milkshakes. I can see sending my husband to the Cafe or wherever, ordering 3 for our little group!

Is Waves outdoors? This is strange that pax are discouraged from sitting around the food areas. I like it that HAL is generally OK with this. A lot more gracious, giving the feeling the ship is yours, you are welcome anywhere.

Is Waves outdoors? This is strange that pax are discouraged from sitting around the food areas. I like it that HAL is generally OK with this. A lot more gracious, giving the feeling the ship is yours, you are welcome anywhere.

Yes, Waves is outdoors the same way the Dive-in is on HAL. There are more tables further down, but the dining tables are partitioned off. Not unlike around the HAL pool, but think of a wall a few tables down. Those would be the tables for eating.

If you go into the Terrace Grill (equivalent of the Lido) at non-meal times, there is no one in there except workers cleaning up. If you approach, someone will stop and ask if they can help you. It discourages one from proceeding to continue in.

In two weeks I never saw any passengers in there outside of mealtime.

I have seen people sitting in the WAVES area when the rush for food is over ..some playing cards

On the larger ships

some will go to one of the other areas just to relax the Sanctuary or the patio area more comfy type chairs there but no tables like dining areas

There is also an area beside La Reserve with tables & chair for relaxing

I just compared the "brochure prices" for a balcony on both Oceania and HAL for similar 7 day cruises.

HAL was about $2000 pp

Oceania was about $8000 pp

Do not go by brochure price.

I am a 5 Star Mariner on HAL and currently sailing on my 5th cruise in two years on the Riviera, 10 day, Caribbean. I will compare pricing with a similar cruise, Maasdam,11 days Caribbean in March 2015. Both ships carry 1200 passengers except the Riviera is much larger. Each of the cruises on Oceania, I have received great deals and very good discounts. The following costs include all taxes and excludes airfare

Riviera: $249 per person per day; 282 sq ft B1 Balcony; includes prepaid gratuities, unlimited free internet, $400 cabin credit, no charge to dine 4 times at their specialty restaurants, all non soft drinks, water, specialty coffee free

Maasdam: $176-$250 per person per day for a balcony cabin, depending if guarantee or pick your cabin plus $75 cabin credit. That's it unless you are 4 or 5 star which you get 2 free Pinnacle dinners and free laundry

Riviera: $249 per person per day; 282 sq ft B1 Balcony; includes prepaid gratuities, unlimited free internet, $400 cabin credit, no charge to dine 4 times at their specialty restaurants, all non soft drinks, water, specialty coffee free

typo I am sure

It is all non alcoholic drinks are included

Do not go by brochure price.

I am a 5 Star Mariner on HAL and currently sailing on my 5th cruise in two years on the Riviera, 10 day, Caribbean. I will compare pricing with a similar cruise, Maasdam,11 days Caribbean in March 2015. Both ships carry 1200 passengers except the Riviera is much larger. Each of the cruises on Oceania, I have received great deals and very good discounts. The following costs include all taxes and excludes airfare

Maasdam: $176-$250 per person per day for a balcony cabin, depending if guarantee or pick your cabin plus $75 cabin credit. That's it unless you are 4 or 5 star which you get 2 free Pinnacle dinners and free laundry

Only 5 stars get two free Pinnacle and isn't that great??

You are correct. I guess I had one too many alcoholic drinks prior to posting this :D

That is definitely the answer!

You are on Oceania now, aren't you? How's it going? Unlimited Internet must be nice!!

Best wishes for a great cruise.

Edited by SilvertoGold

That is definitely the answer!

You are on Oceania now, aren't you? How's it going? Unlimited Internet must be nice!!

Best wishes for a great cruise.

Yes, I am on Oceania now. It is excellent.

Last night at the Terrace Grill I had a grilled lobster tail, grilled jumbo shrimp, sauteed shrimp, coconut shrimp; sounds like Bubba Gump doesn't it. Oh I forgot I also had crab claws, already cracked with half of shell removed. And Key Lime pie. I wish they served this every night. Oh they do serve the same seafood every night.

I better stop writing, my waistline is expanding as I write this post

Yes, I am on Oceania now. It is excellent.

Last night at the Terrace Grill I had a grilled lobster tail, grilled jumbo shrimp, sauteed shrimp, coconut shrimp; sounds like Bubba Gump doesn't it. Oh I forgot I also had crab claws, already cracked with half of shell removed. And Key Lime pie. I wish they served this every night. Oh they do serve the same seafood every night.

I better stop writing, my waistline is expanding as I write this post

Very nice, and very different from HAL's Lido experience.

Glad you having a great time!

• 4 weeks later...
... for my DW and me, this is a "no-brainer": as long as HAL continues to have a Catholic priest (for daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises, HAL will continue to be our cruise line of choice.

Rod

That's an excellent point. The fact that HAL fills our spiritual needs is a major selling point for me, too. I missed the opportunity to attend Mass on Oceania.

IMHO, Oceania's fleet is true quality - staff, accommodations, food and service. I've sailed on two of her small (680) pax ships, formerly Renaissance, as well as her larger 1200 pax) ships, and I must say this line is worth every penny.

That said, HAL gives a very good product for the money paid, and I still sail her as well. The two lines are my go-to lines, as well as Celebrity.

... when we took our 2 granddaughters on the Disney cruises last year and the year before, I felt as though something was missing ... and sure enough, it was the daily Mass. Vacations are a time for renewal, not only of the body but the spirit as well, and our HAL cruises provide a perfect opportunity for both.

Rod

Well this atheist doesn't care about missing mass;). I don't need all the freebies and extras. The only "extra" thing I do on a cruise is the spa. I don't drink, dance, do laundry on board, or even use the specialty restaurants very often, HAL low prices are perfect for me. I pay for my cruises out of my pension and for me, I get the most bang for my buck with HAL. Everyone is different and likes different things. This is good because as my nana use to say "If everyone liked the same thing all the woman would be after your grandpa":p