Marina Oceania suites

silkman

We are contemplating sailing on a 2016 Marina cruise. We previously sailed in an Oceania suite on Marina which was in the stern on deck 11 directly below the Terrace restaurant. At 6:00 A.M they slid all of the chairs across the floor to the outside. Without going into a lot of detail, it was not very pleasant, and was only really corrected because it was a British isles cruise and the weather most of the trip was not conducive to outdoor dining, so they did not put the chairs outside.

We have sailed on the Insignia 3 times in an Oceania suite, but always on deck 7.

My question is for anyone who has sailed in an Oceania suite on deck 12 on the O ships, are there any of the oceania suites on deck 12 that for any reason would be more desirable than others? It would not seem that the ones further toward the stern would be any more stable as far as motion. Would it be better not to be right next to the culinary center?

Thanks,

Richard

Orv, I'm glad you picked up on the reference to Oceania because I was puzzled by an OC on deck 7.

OP, we were in 11080 on Marina which is the same area as you complained about, but we just didn't hear that noise. We DID hear the engine noise when leaving a port which was VERY loud.

While I'd like the extra full bathroom on the Deck 12 OCs, I think I would be inclined to go again with the aft OC (should finances allow!) because I did love the humongous wraparound deck.

I'm guessing that on Insignia the OP was in a Vista, not an OC.

Mura

We were by the culinary center and prefer that side, there is a door you pass through to the suites after the culinary center. In May I will be on the other side. All the Oceania suites were booked except the one on eleventh floor when we signed up. If one did not open up on twelfth floor, it was a deal breaker for us as we sleep in. The bathroom on 12th floor is a ¾ bath instead of ½ on the 11th floor.

Sue

I'd say you be fine in any of them. Unless it's a really rough trip. But for the record, Insignia does not have Oceania Suites. Did you perhaps mean something else?

I meant owners suite on the Insignia. I tried to correct it, but for some reason it did not work

We have stayed in 12007 and have it booked again in 2015. My only complaint (wife will hit me for posting this) was every time we returned to the cabin, I would complain that I had to pass three other OC Suites and the extra walk was killing me.....laughing

There is an extra door you will pass through on the way to these suites. It was neat walking through the door and hearing people whispering to one another behind you wondering why "those cabins" were so isolated.

If you are a smoker, the OC suites are an ideal location to the smokers area. Also, easy walk to Waves and the Terrace Buffet.

We have stayed in 12007 and have it booked again in 2015. My only complaint (wife will hit me for posting this) was every time we returned to the cabin, I would complain that I had to pass three other OC Suites and the extra walk was killing me.....laughing

There is an extra door you will pass through on the way to these suites. It was neat walking through the door and hearing people whispering to one another behind you wondering why "those cabins" were so isolated.

If you are a smoker, the OC suites are an ideal location to the smokers area. Also, easy walk to Waves and the Terrace Buffet.

Hopefully one does not have to walk through the smoking area to get to those Oceania Suites. On the R ships the smoking area is easily avoided.

Hopefully one does not have to walk through the smoking area to get to those Oceania Suites. On the R ships the smoking area is easily avoided.

b_084727.jpg

The Smoking Area is where those four tables are illustrated, on the Pool-deck just aft of the Artists Loft. If one enters the Elevator Lobby on the Waves Bar side (closer to the Culinary Center), you wouldn't need to come within fifty feet of the smoking.

The infamous glass doors, which Lane feels makes Deck 12 more exclusive, are positioned parallel with the forward wall of the Culinary Center and Artists Loft, separating the cabin corridors from the Staircase and Elevator Lobby.

Edited by StanandJim

b_084727.jpg

The Smoking Area is where those four tables are illustrated, on the Pool-deck just aft of the Artists Loft. If one enters the Elevator Lobby on the Waves Bar side (closer to the Culinary Center), you wouldn't need to come within fifty feet of the smoking.

The infamous glass doors, which Lane feels makes Deck 12 more exclusive, are positioned parallel with the forward wall of the Culinary Center and Artists Loft, separating the cabin corridors from the Staircase and Elevator Lobby.

Thanks, Sounds good in case we don't get the suites on the back of the ship.

Orv, I'm glad you picked up on the reference to Oceania because I was puzzled by an OC on deck 7.

OP, we were in 11080 on Marina which is the same area as you complained about, but we just didn't hear that noise. We DID hear the engine noise when leaving a port which was VERY loud.

While I'd like the extra full bathroom on the Deck 12 OCs, I think I would be inclined to go again with the aft OC (should finances allow!) because I did love the humongous wraparound deck.

I'm guessing that on Insignia the OP was in a Vista, not an OC.

Mura

Mura ,We were also in 11080 on the Marina. Perhaps your weather was better than ours, and they did not have to move the chairs in and out of the outdoor part of the terrace. We also liked the large deck ...unfortunately we did not get to use it very often. We would rather be in the aft suites,but not on the O ships.

(We were in an owners suite on the insignia, but deck 7, not 8).

Richard

b_084727.jpg

All true but if I remember correctly, the "smoking side" has automatic doors while the bar side does not. This does not matter most of the time except when it is very windy or one is carrying a tray of food (or has his/her hands full of something) :D

Edited by Paulchili

Mura ,We were also in 11080 on the Marina. Perhaps your weather was better than ours, and they did not have to move the chairs in and out of the outdoor part of the terrace. We also liked the large deck ...unfortunately we did not get to use it very often. We would rather be in the aft suites, but not on the O ships.

(We were in an owners suite on the insignia, but deck 7, not 8).

Richard

Richard,

That's possible. In general we had very good weather on the Marina TA. We did have a couple of days early on in the cruise (maybe less than that) where we had sideways pitch and forwards pitch simultaneously (not being a seaperson I am forgetting the technical terms). It's funny that the two-directions motion bothered my husband more than it did me, and he's someone who never gets seasick but I do. In this case it wasn't a matter of anyone's being sick, so much as it was hard to sleep with the motion going in both directions. But as I said that only happened one or maybe two nights.

Our main complaint was the horrendous noise we heard from the engines when leaving port but for me that wasn't a problem. For DH it was ...

Even though I would like to have the full second bath (okay, second shower) I really prefer the aft location ... despite the engine noise and despite the smaller second bath. For us, we don't really need a second shower although we wouldn't object to having one!

We had a lot of use of the deck on a TA with moderate weather ... if our cruise had been in cold weather climates, it wouldn't have been of much use.

So this is a consideration to consider when booking your cruise.

Just as with the Vista Suites, being forward gives you great views but has other problems ... especially on a TA.

As a P.S. to your first sentence, we were in a Deck 8 OS on Regatta many years ago (Nov '05) and loved it. I don't recall any noise problems. Our next cruise was in a VS on Insignia in June '06 (Cabin 7004) and we heard a lot of noise coming into port in the early morning. Back then I just turned over and went back to sleep. I don't know if that would still be the case.

Mura

We were in 12007 on the Riviera - and I learnt quickly not to walk through the smoking area to get inside from the pool deck. But I also found the doors very hard to push open. So it was either get gassed and have an automatic door or breathe and struggle with the manual one...

We had no noise at all above our suite even though the Fitness area was above us. Aerobics or something I think.

We were in 12007 on the Riviera - and I learnt quickly not to walk through the smoking area to get inside from the pool deck. But I also found the doors very hard to push open. So it was either get gassed and have an automatic door or breathe and struggle with the manual one...

We had no noise at all above our suite even though the Fitness area was above us. Aerobics or something I think.

What is on deck 14, above the even-numbered Oceania suites? I assume it is the spa. If so, probably less chance of noise than being beneath the fitness center.

What is on deck 14, above the even-numbered Oceania suites? I assume it is the spa. If so, probably less chance of noise than being beneath the fitness center.

The Deck 12, even numbered Oceania Suites, are located entirely beneath the Sanctuary, the Hair-Styling Salon and the Massage and Treatment Rooms

b_223014.jpg

b_224204.jpg

Thanks! We will make sure to never walk through the smoking area as you recommended.