California Coastal Cruise

NailDriver

I got an email for a 10-day CA Coastal however it is roundtrip from Vancouver. I don't recall the exact itinerary but remember that it has an overnight in SF. Being able to drive to the Port of LA, we enjoy the 7-day roundtrip but think the Wine Country Coastal is a better itinerary. Although it's more expensive for me needing to fly one-way either to or from YVR.

Replacing SB for Catalina is a bad swap for us because there isn't much for us to do in Catalina. Even though we're little bit over an hour from Santa Barbara I would still prefer to go there than to Catalina.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Formal nights - I always wear black pants and a sparkly top. Husband takes a sports coat and tie. That's our version of "simple and nice," we fit right in and are comfortable. No need for anything fancy!

Have fun!

I so agree with you. After several cruises decided that's the way to go!!!:D

I'm from the UK and looking at a California Costal cruise for the spring of 2016.

What's the best itinerary, definitely want to visit San Francisco. Also very interested to hear that there is a good chance of seeing whales at this time of year, so I guess a whale watching tour is another must do!!

Try to book a cruise that arrives in San Francisco midday if you can. One I looked at recently arrives at 2PM, I believe. That way you get to view passing under the Golden Gate bridge in daylight. Many cruises arrive in SF before daybreak, with overnight fog often making the bridge difficult to see even if you get up that early.

We're doing a 7-day in April out of San Pedro. We're taking shorts and T-shirts for Santa Barbara, San Diego and Ensenada. For San Francisco, it will be jeans and sweat shirt. The weather here has been unseasonably warm and I expect it to remain that way. San Francisco is the unpredictable city for weather. For formal night, pants and a glitzy top. Remember, any one you meet on the ship, it's highly unlikely you will ever see them again or even remember what they were wearing. So, dress for comfort than for show.

...unless you live in the Bay Area. We run into friends and see people from other west coast departing cruises quite often. ;) I definitely agree that I NEVER remember what anyone is wearing, but then again, that's just not my thing. Californians tend to be quite laid back.

My MiL isn't very mobile, and doesn't plan on getting off in Ensenada. Our first US Port after Ensenada is Los Angeles. Do they require everyone to get off the ship in Los Angeles to go through Customs? If that happens to be the case, will she need to get off even if she didn't get off in Ensenada?

Thanks!

...unless you live in the Bay Area. We run into friends and see people from other west coast departing cruises quite often. ;) I definitely agree that I NEVER remember what anyone is wearing, but then again, that's just not my thing. Californians tend to be quite laid back.

I was raised and went to school in Concord. I lived there for many years, lived in San Francisco, then moved to Antioch, so I am very familiar with the Bay Area and the weather. We also had a sail boat which we sailed on the SF Bay--the weather is unpredictable. You're right, we're more laid back and even where I live, no one cares about fashion. It's pretty much jeans and cowboy boots.

I was raised and went to school in Concord. I lived there for many years, lived in San Francisco, then moved to Antioch, so I am very familiar with the Bay Area and the weather. We also had a sail boat which we sailed on the SF Bay--the weather is unpredictable. You're right, we're more laid back and even where I live, no one cares about fashion. It's pretty much jeans and cowboy boots.

And here in SoCal, it is shorts and flip-flops :).

My MiL isn't very mobile, and doesn't plan on getting off in Ensenada. Our first US Port after Ensenada is Los Angeles. Do they require everyone to get off the ship in Los Angeles to go through Customs? If that happens to be the case, will she need to get off even if she didn't get off in Ensenada?

Someone else will have to answer how immigration is handled (on or off ship), but whatever is done will be done with 100% of the passengers. It does not matter if they left the ship or not in Ensenada.

Thanks!

Ask for wheelchair assistance for passport/customs.