California Coastal Cruise

NailDriver

DW and I are doing our first California cruise on the Crown in April. We have done over a dozen Caribbean cruises from our hometown in South Florida. I know that we won't be spending our days in shorts and t-shirts on the California Coastal cruise and will have to pack more long pants and long sleeve shirts.

Since we are flying in from the east coast we don't want to lug around more luggage than we have to. A friend of ours has done several Alaska cruises and said that people dressed more relaxed on those cruises. How serious do most people take the formal nights on these cruises? We prefer nice but simple.

We booked the whale watching tour in Santa Barbara. Have any of you done this excursion and is it worth it? Did you see many whales? Thanks for any feedback and any other tips for the west coast would be appreciated.

Edited by NailDriver

Since we are flying in from the east coast we don't want to lug around more luggage than we have to. A friend of ours has done several Alaska cruises and said that people dressed more relaxed on those cruises. How serious do most people take the formal nights on these cruises? We prefer nice but simple.

The policy is the same on all ships and all itineraries.

There are lots of choices of venues to eat at.

Formal nights - I always wear black pants and a sparkly top. Husband takes a sports coat and tie. That's our version of "simple and nice," we fit right in and are comfortable. No need for anything fancy!

Have fun!

Formal nights - I always wear black pants and a sparkly top. Husband takes a sports coat and tie. That's our version of "simple and nice," we fit right in and are comfortable. No need for anything fancy!

Have fun!

Thanks Lynn. That answer was actually helpful. We are excited to sail in some new territory and experience some different cities.

We've done whale watching twice in Santa Barbara in mid-May; first on a land based vacation and then on a Princess 'wine country' coastal. My DS and girlfriend did one on a land based vacation in mid-May last year. We all saw lots and lots of whales so I hope the viewing will be good for you in April!

On our first trip there were lots of grey whales; the highlight was a mother and calf swimming along the side of our boat. Mom was almost as long as the boat! On the Princess excursion it was all about humpback whales - dozens and dozens of them. The highlight was the three whales that kept swimming around and under the boat for more than 1/2 hour, floating on their sides so we could look right into their eyes and then exhaling loudly (and wettly). The folks on the bow got covered in whale snot :D. I can laugh because we were one deck up at that time :p.

Make sure you pack layers. I don't remember the weather on the first whale watch but on the second I wore a fleece, hat and gloves. It felt really cold while under sail. They did have an enclosed area which was great for the trip out to/from the whale area (it took about an hour to reach but obviously that varies every day).

Edited by capriccio

We've done whale watching twice in Santa Barbara in mid-May; first on a land based vacation and then on a Princess 'wine country' coastal. My DS and girlfriend did one on a land based vacation in mid-May last year. We all saw lots and lots of whales so I hope the viewing will be good for you in April!

On our first trip there were lots of grey whales; the highlight was a mother and calf swimming along the side of our boat. Mom was almost as long as the boat! On the Princess excursion it was all about humpback whales - dozens and dozens of them. The highlight was the three whales that kept swimming around and under the boat for more than 1/2 hour, floating on their sides so we could look right into their eyes and then exhaling loudly (and wettly). The folks on the bow got covered in whale snot :D. I can laugh because we were one deck up at that time :p.

Make sure you pack layers. I don't remember the weather on the first whale watch but on the second I wore a fleece, hat and gloves. It felt really cold while under sail. They did have an enclosed area which was great for the trip out to/from the whale area (it took about an hour to reach but obviously that varies every day).

Mmmm, whale snot. Sounds delightful, maybe thats the day I will wear my "formal attire". Just kidding, it sounds like you guys had a blast and I hope we can get that close to some whales. Thanks for the tips about the gloves. I don't think either of us thought about bringing gloves on a cruise. I think this trip will require a little more thought on the packing list. Especially looking forward to San Fran since thats been on my bucket list forever. 53 days to go.

Mmmm, whale snot. Sounds delightful, maybe thats the day I will wear my "formal attire". Just kidding, it sounds like you guys had a blast and I hope we can get that close to some whales. Thanks for the tips about the gloves. I don't think either of us thought about bringing gloves on a cruise. I think this trip will require a little more thought on the packing list. Especially looking forward to San Fran since thats been on my bucket list forever. 53 days to go.

Sadly, Princess changed our Santa Barbara port stop to Catalina :( for the next cruise. We had selected ours partly based on being in Santa Barbara. We've been to Catalina.

Especially looking forward to San Fran since thats been on my bucket list forever. 53 days to go.

It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: make sure you are on deck for the sail under the Golden Gate Bridge both into and out of San Francisco Bay. If sailaway is at sunset (ours was) the light reflected on the buildings is absolutely beautiful.

Sadly, Princess changed our Santa Barbara port stop to Catalina :( for the next cruise. We had selected ours partly based on being in Santa Barbara. We've been to Catalina.

That's very disappointing because for me SB has so much more to offer. :(

When I track the short getaway cruises, those to Catalina are usually less expensive than to SD or SB so others must feel similarly. ;) I'm midway between SP & SB and can drive there but still much prefer SB on a cruise.

OP...I usually wear a sports coat, dress shirt & tie with slacks on formal night on a CA Coastal.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I, too, am looking forward to my first coastal cruise in April. I have a couple of questions that maybe someone can answer.

First, I am thinking of doing the Princess whale watch excursion in Santa Barbara. Capriccio or anyone, can you tell me how far you need to walk to get to the whale watch boat? I can walk some, but I do have some mobility issues. I'd like to know how far I'll need to walk before I decide if I should book or not. Just went on a whale watch excursion in Maui and had a great time.

Second, how early does the ship generally sail into San Francisco? I'm going to set an alarm. I don't want to miss it. One of the main reasons I chose this cruise is getting to sail under the GG bridge.

Thank you.

I, too, am looking forward to my first coastal cruise in April. I have a couple of questions that maybe someone can answer.

First, I am thinking of doing the Princess whale watch excursion in Santa Barbara. Capriccio or anyone, can you tell me how far you need to walk to get to the whale watch boat? I can walk some, but I do have some mobility issues. I'd like to know how far I'll need to walk before I decide if I should book or not. Just went on a whale watch excursion in Maui and had a great time.

Second, how early does the ship generally sail into San Francisco? I'm going to set an alarm. I don't want to miss it. One of the main reasons I chose this cruise is getting to sail under the GG bridge.

Thank you.

If I remember correctly (our trip was in April 2012):

• the tender docked at the same complex that the whale watching boat leaves from so it was hardly any walk at all.
  • we went into San Francisco Bay around 9 am (I don't remember having to get up early). I do remember that was another time I wore (actually went back all the way aft to get them in the cabin) my hat and gloves. It was overcast (which burned off shortly after we docked) and cold up on deck at the bow (the temp also went up significantly that afternoon - we had a glorious afternoon in Sonoma wine tasting).

The cruise tends to be less formal. You will see every

type of dress on formal nights. A lot of men in pants

dress shirt, some tie. Some jackets, some suits, and

a couple is dinner jackets. Women tend to dress up more

Anything seems to go. You may need a sweater, jacket

in San Francisco, if foggy. The coast can be chilly there.

Suggest the Princess wine tour in Ensanda Mexico, it is

good and you get a nice bottle of free wine.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

OP, I hope you will be able to see lots of whales also.

Sparkly tops and pants are very appropriate for formal night. My DH likes to wear his black blazer on the day we fly. That way he doesn't have to worry about packing it and the blazer is just right for formal nights.

When we have done 5-night cruises, there has been one formal night. However, on 3 & 4 night cruises there is no formal night.

Enjoy your West Coast cruise.

Thank you.

We have been on 2 costal cruises the last one was April 2014. Both times we sailed in very early, probably went under the bridge between 5:30 and 6 AM. They announced on the ship the night before the time. Since it was so early it was very cool. We had extended stays and sailed out around 11:00 PM.

Early morning, just as the sun is starting to come up, is my very favorite time to sail into San Francisco. There is something magical about the lights of the city in the early morning light. Keep your fingers crossed for a clear day. One time it was so foggy sailing in that we could not see the bridge as we sailed under it. :mad:

Last year we did this an it was very early (about 5:30 if I remember correctly). Yes, they do announce it so you can set your alarm clocks. We got up and were totally surprised at how few people were out there watching as we sailed under and into the city. It was beautiful.

While not as dramatic but one of our best memories of any cruise is sailing out. We had had a wonderful day in a warm SF, walked all the way to the AT&T Ballpark, watched a game and took our time getting back. We sat out on our balcony with our adult beverages and watched sea lions play as you sail out. We saw a part of the bay area we had never seen as we sailed Sausilito and up the coast. It was a perfect end to a great day.

Did a 4 day a month or so ago....it was quite informal. As was said, no formal nights at all. There are on the 7 day coastals. most people just wore long pants and a top/sweater/blouse to dinner. Men wore long pants and a long sleeved shirt..Mostly 'cause it was cold as the Dickens in January.

Thanks to everyone who responded and the helpful information. We will definitely try to be awake for the sail into the city and we want to get as high up on the ship as we can when we go under the bridge. Are departure from San Francisco isn't until 11 o'clock at night but it should be pretty cool to see the city and bridge lights as we depart.

...we sailed in very early, probably went under the bridge between 5:30 and 6 AM. They announced on the ship the night before the time...

Same here. If you have your heart set on seeing this, I would be up early (or stay up late ;)). I missed ours as 6 AM was announced the evening before as the time we would pass under the GG Bridge; when I looked out shortly before 6 the next morning, we had already passed under it and were about to dock.

They announced later in the AM that the reason we had to arrive early was due to port traffic/scheduling. They said they didn't want to wake pax up that early with an updated announcement. Many were disappointed.

Edited by Ryndam2002
spelling

I've cruised in and out of SF bay many times and not once was it daylight when we were coming into port. It's generally around 5:30-6a.m.

I've had some really wonderful departures, however. Last year I was able to enjoy the America's Cup yacht race pre-trials. You couldn't have had a better seat than right there on the ship. One evening we left late, a few weeks before christmas, and the lights on the city were far more beautiful than anything we've seen before. Even the crew were lined up on deck to see the city lights and they thought it was far prettier than just going under the GG bridge. We were not disappointed. Then just last October we left port and suddenly a beautiful rainbow appeared in the sky right behind Alcatraz. That was a photo op I didn't miss. Regardless of the time of day or time of year, it's always cold on deck leaving San Francisco so just be sure to pack a warm jacket.

Early morning, just as the sun is starting to come up, is my very favorite time to sail into San Francisco. There is something magical about the lights of the city in the early morning light. Keep your fingers crossed for a clear day. One time it was so foggy sailing in that we could not see the bridge as we sailed under it. :mad:

Fog! Ugh!

Praying we won't have fog. First time on this itinerary--have only sailed Caribbean (about 27 times!)!

Great info on this thread!