Check in at pier - Quantum

Treacher1

Months ago we set up transportation to Cape Liberty - if there is NO traffic - we will arrive about 45 minutes before our assigned boarding time. We only got the boarding time when we printed out our set sail pass. We allowed extra time if there were traffic problems - just to be safe. We thought this would not be a problem getting to the pier a little early. Well, tonight we received an email, a text message and a phone call from Royal Caribbean saying NOT to come before your assigned boarding time. Please advise!! If we get there a little early, can't we just wait in terminal?

It is ok to have to spend hours on the phone to make reservations for dinners and entertainment - they lost some peoples and messed many up - and they send THREE messages - wow - I wish IT dept. could be more accurate with reservations as they were sending us 3 notices about boarding.

I wouldn't worry about arriving early. I was on the 11/22 Quantum inaugural with an 11:15 boarding time in the section reserved for Suite, Diamond Plus, and Diamond level guests. I was surrounded by people who had boarding times on their sea passes that went from 12:30 to 2:15 and they boarded the same time I did.

I have an 11:15 boarding time again, but due to the time constraints on the person giving me a lift to the port, I will be arriving at around 10:30 -- the same time I always arrived when Explorer was still sailing out of Bayonne -- See you there!

Months ago we set up transportation to Cape Liberty - if there is NO traffic - we will arrive about 45 minutes before our assigned boarding time. We only got the boarding time when we printed out our set sail pass. We allowed extra time if there were traffic problems - just to be safe. We thought this would not be a problem getting to the pier a little early. Well, tonight we received an email, a text message and a phone call from Royal Caribbean saying NOT to come before your assigned boarding time. Please advise!! If we get there a little early, can't we just wait in terminal?

It is ok to have to spend hours on the phone to make reservations for dinners and entertainment - they lost some peoples and messed many up - and they send THREE messages - wow - I wish IT dept. could be more accurate with reservations as they were sending us 3 notices about boarding.

There is plenty of seating at the terminal if you arrive early. Our experience at the port for the 1/23/15 sailing, they were not allowing guests to board before their appointed time frame. I overheard many ports agents advising guests to take a sit and wait until their time was called.

Received the message below for our upcoming Quantum sailing. It seems they are asking guests again to arrive within their selected time frame.

This is an important message regarding your upcoming cruise.

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International, we are writing to provide you with important information regarding your upcoming sailing onboard Quantum of the Seas. Our new SMART Check-In simplifies the boarding process to get you onboard in record time. To ensure a smooth and expedited check-in and boarding process, please arrive at the pier within your selected appointment time frame - not before. If you haven’t checked in yet, go towww.royalcaribbean.com/onlinecheckin and complete the new four simple steps to avoid stopping at a check-in counter at the pier. Once at the terminal you will:

1. Drop off your luggage with one of the porters outside of the terminal

2. Enter the terminal and look for one of our mobile agents dressed in turquoise

3. Present the completed SetSail Pass for each of the guests in your party

4. Proceed to board Quantum of the Seas (if boarding is already underway)

If you have already completed online check-in, please print your most up to date SetSail to obtain more information about your SMART Check-in. Don’t forget to make the most of your time onboard with Royal iQ. Download it now from the iTunes Store or Google Play Store.We look forward to welcoming you onboard the Quantum of the Seas.

We were on the 2/13/15 sailing and got to the terminal al little earlier than scheduled (traffic was lighter than anticipated). After you go through security you will be direct to the area for your boarding time and there are seats provided. By the time we cleared security we were within our window to board so we were able to go right on. However, I did hear a quite grumpy man later in the day saying he sat in the terminal two hours waiting to get onboard. I can only assume he arrived earlier than his scheduled time and they didn't board that time slot until then.

So...feel free to go early, but if you do have to wait for your time slot, please don't complain about it. Just go with the flow and enjoy your cruise.

I thought the check in is so fast now. So why should you have to wait to board. It isn't like you have to wait for the bus anymore. Once you step on the ship you are on vacation. So the unfortunate folks who have a later boarding time lose hours off of their vacation. That certainly is not fair. Just my opinion ;)

Also on the 2/13 sailing. We did run into a bit of a traffic delay. We arrived within our reservation window and we directed to proceed through security and then to the check in counter where we got the green stamp on our Set Sail Pass and were directed to go onboard.

We were on the 11/23 sailing and for that cruise, the terminal was packed. People ignored their boarding times and arrived early. RCI had no procedure to handle all of those early birds. Needless to say, the 10 minute curb to ship did not work out so now RCI is calling, texting, emailing passengers to advise them not to arrive early. And they do check your boarding times when you enter the terminal.

Arriving 45 minutes early should not be a big problem. By the time you get luggage checked and get through the security screening you should be close to your boarding window so your wait could be minimal.

I thought the check in is so fast now. So why should you have to wait to board. It isn't like you have to wait for the bus anymore. Once you step on the ship you are on vacation. So the unfortunate folks who have a later boarding time lose hours off of their vacation. That certainly is not fair. Just my opinion ;)

I couldn't agree with you more!

We are on the 3/13 sailing, the beginning of January our group of 5 was assigned 12:45 PM boarding time. I am well aware of certain people being able to board first based on their C&A status and the perks of a suite cabin. I have no problem with that since we are only Emerald and didn't book a suite. But if I would have known they were going to assign times based on when we completed our S&S I would have done it months ago and not when I made final payment.

We only live 20 minutes from the port and will be arriving in two cars, there is no way we are going to arrive that late and hope we can find two spots in the lot. We will arrive before 11 AM like we have done in the past.

We love getting on the ship as early as possible to start our vacation and have our first drink.

It makes sense to arrive as close to your assigned time as possible; there are so many people coming aboard - impossible to be prepared for the randomness of arrivals. I haven't done anything other than attempt to make dinner & entertainment reservations for my March cruise yet. Apparently I need to do more today, or we will be getting on last? LOL

I just did my paperwork and you're right that they assign times based upon when you complete your paperwork. The earliest arrival time is now 1:45pm. We booked a grand suite and are hoping that if we arrive at noon they will let us board early.

Edited by scarlet4897

Completely agree. I arrive when I want. If they give me a problem, I suddenly develop some ummmmm..."intestinal rumbling." That usually clears the room and I get ushered on[emoji103][emoji372]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Sue. I called RC today and they said the same thing.

We are sailing next Friday- we are also in a suite and have the early boarding time. My son and his family aren't in a suite, but we are traveling together. He isn't scheduled until 12:15. I will arrive around 11:30 and until we get our documentation will hope to board together.

While I do understand that the registration process is now designed to avoid crowds- it never has been a problem out of Florida. You register, take your picture and wait in a special area until the ship is cleared for boarding. Everyone boards in an orderly fashion. Typically suite guests first, then diamond, etc. If you have to wait in line before it is your turn to complete the process, you do. I have sailed from NJ many times before using the old terminal and Celebrity without any problems, is the issue that the new terminal wasn't designed correctly?

I like to board early so we can begin our vacation as soon as possible. This new process sounds unnecessary and might create bad will. Ironically, people do not all arrive at the terminal the same time anyway- many people fly/drive a long distance to reach the pier so the time of arrival is straddled. Others like to board a little later.

Edited by Cruise a holic