Skagway ?

cruise4sun&fun

Hi all.

Debating whether to rent a car from Avis or a jeep from Green Jeep Co. (both about $160) for my wife and I to drive to Emerald Lake.

- Any reviews from people who have done the Green Jeep tour?

- How much time should be allotted for a "leisurely" trip to Emerald Lake & back?

- In port from 7:00am - 4:30pm.

Would love to hit the Brewery and Red Onion Saloon & Brothel as well.

Don't want to fell rushed & certainly don't want to be "a runner"...:D

As far as green jeep vs a rental car I can only say that there is no need for a jeep between Skagway and Emerald Lake. There might be a difference in what time they open in the morning - you need to factor in that time as well. I also thought that Green Jeeps also included a picnic lunch and road guides - that could be worth a lot as there are not that many places to eat in Carcross.

It is approx. 75 mi to Emerald Lake - you will probably average 35 MPH maybe less depending on traffic and the number of photo stops you make. You can judge the amount of time from some of the tour companies which allow around 6 hrs for the RT tour including at least an hour for lunch.

I am not sure if you have included the 1/2 hr back onboard the ship into your 4:30 time (most ships want you back onboard 1/2 hr before the scheduled departure time - most captains will leave as soon as all people are back onboard or the last ship excursion is back - so your 4:30 could become 4:00.

All in all it is very doable - just watch your time and adjust your touring accordingly - my motto is take your time getting there and hurry back.

As far as green jeep vs a rental car I can only say that there is no need for a jeep between Skagway and Emerald Lake. There might be a difference in what time they open in the morning - you need to factor in that time as well. I also thought that Green Jeeps also included a picnic lunch and road guides - that could be worth a lot as there are not that many places to eat in Carcross.

It is approx. 75 mi to Emerald Lake - you will probably average 35 MPH maybe less depending on traffic and the number of photo stops you make. You can judge the amount of time from some of the tour companies which allow around 6 hrs for the RT tour including at least an hour for lunch.

I am not sure if you have included the 1/2 hr back onboard the ship into your 4:30 time (most ships want you back onboard 1/2 hr before the scheduled departure time - most captains will leave as soon as all people are back onboard or the last ship excursion is back - so your 4:30 could become 4:00.

All in all it is very doable - just watch your time and adjust your touring accordingly - my motto is take your time getting there and hurry back.

Totally agree . The holdup can be the border crossings both ways . The last time I drove from Whitehorse to Skagway via Emerald Lake , it took about 3 hours to drive from Emerald lake to Skagway . When the tour bus start returning the highway is busy with no many passing stops.

We buzzed right through the border crossing but got an early start. One of us went and picked up sandwiches at Glacier Smoothies and the other went and stood in line at Avis as soon as we arrived. We weren’t the first ship in so had to wait about 30 minutes in line for the car.

Depending on the day you arrive there could be 8000 other cruisers in town. I don’t like running either but pre-planning in this port if you’re going to rent a car would be prudent and save you some time in the long run. We found the drive to be a better experience having got an early start beating most the other drivers up the Klondike.

The road to Emerald Lake is totally paved - a jeep isn't as comfortable as a regular car, and there is no need to be in a jeep since it's a paved road. I loved the ride - the scenery is beautiful. I actually left around 9:00 AM to miss the crowds at Avis and the tour buses at the scenic stops. There were few cars or buses on the road, and I didn't feel rushed at all. Was back at the ship by 3:00. I've also done the trip by train, and when we go back this summer, I'm renting a car again - more comfortable and I can decide how much time to spend at the various stops...

I definitely like the independency of a rental car vs the train, and I guess I can probably still have time to stop at the brewery (for a quick 1) before heading back to the ship. So AVIS it is!

Anyone know if this Murray Guide I keep hearing about is the same as the Milepost book? Approx. $25 on Amazon.

Thanks for the help all. :)

Murray’s Guide just covers the Klondike Highway. The Milepost covers most of Alaska and the Alcan through Canada. Murray also has an abridged free version for the Klondike Hwy on his website. Most of the information in the Milepost doesn’t change from year to year. Picking up a used copy works. If you’ll only be traveling the Klondike, Murray’s guide will work and is very good.

In the past Green Jeep was more costly than a rental car. The jeep is a personal choice, with this company not allowing any off roading.

Allow 5 hours for the trip. The road between Emerald Lake and Whitehorse is dull and not worthwhile for most.

Murray's guide is not the Milepost. The Milepost is "necessary" for anyone independently touring mainland Alaska. Murray's Guide is extremely detailed and greatly enhances the Klondike Highway Drive. I do recommend people zero out their trip mileage, since many people miss the mileposts. Some are missing and some now have some overgrowth. Using your trip mileage will give you the ability to easily follow the highlights.

I also highly recommend the Chilkoot Bakery for a lunch/snack stop.

Thanks for the tips everyone. We will have to check out the Chilkoot Bakery....anything in particular I should try Budget Queen?

Also - Am I missing something on the Murray's website.... is it only available to print or download? Don't seem to see an actual book for sale :confused: .

Make sure you stop at the Carcross Desert . It is on your right as you are going to Emerald Lake . Don't forget to visit the Village of Carcross as well. It is about 2 miles off the highway on the north end of Fraser lake. Carcross is the end of track for the White Pass and Yukon RR.

Thanks for the tips everyone. We will have to check out the Chilkoot Bakery....anything in particular I should try Budget Queen?

Also - Am I missing something on the Murray's website.... is it only available to print or download? Don't seem to see an actual book for sale :confused: .

I'm sure if you google 'murrays guide', you'll find the link.

in the meantime this is a milepost guide for the Klondike Hwy:

http://www.bellsalaska.com/myalaska/klondike-highway.html

The Milepost is a great resource if you're doing a diy trip in Alaska. Not sure it would be worth the investment for a cruise. However, you can usually buy older editions on amazon for under $9. I still use my 2007 book ... hwys and town don't change :), just vendors.

Edited by mapleleaves

Murray's Guide is not a book, it is several pages you print out and take with you.

The soups at the Bakery are just fantastic and vary. I ate there 6 times last year. :) Excellent sourdough bread sticks as well as a variety of cookies and sandwiches.