Lisbon bridge

Hi everyone,

we are booked on the Anthen in may to the med,our last port is Lisbon,we have

been to Lisbon a few tlmes on Indy and the ship only just gets under.Anthem is 3 or 4 decks higher:eek:

Well, Quantum clears the Verrazano bridge in NYC, and the Lisbon bridge is 1/2 meter higher.

Hi everyone,

we are booked on the Anthen in may to the med,our last port is Lisbon,we have been to Lisbon a few tlmes on Indy and the ship only just gets under.Anthem is 3 or 4 decks higher:eek:

RCI deck plans list 15 decks for Independence and 16 for Anthem (Oasis is listed with 18 decks). Independence of the Seas height above water line is 63.7 meters. The 25 de Abril Bridge in Lisbon has 70 meters of clearance at high water. Sorry, but over 6 meters clearance at high water is not "only just gets under" (but I agree that it can look that way when viewed from below). Anthem should have no issues.

Thom

Thom is correct. There will be plenty of height. I have sailed under the April 25th bridge (Thom also has the correct name of the bridge, mine is just the slang name for it) in a Vision Class and Radiance Class ships, and it seems like the span across the channel is quite high (again referenced by Thom)

Enjoy your cruise!!

Rick

Hi everyone,

we are booked on the Anthen in may to the med,our last port is Lisbon,we have

been to Lisbon a few tlmes on Indy and the ship only just gets under.Anthem is 3 or 4 decks higher:eek:

Plenty of room....

P1060584_zpsouylkxqr.jpg

P1060594_zps8osg1ddt.jpg

Compared to Quantum under Verazano (less than 5m, 15 ft clearance)

DSC01657_zpse308d1a9.jpg

why would RCI book an itinerary if the ship would not make it?

"This is the captain speaking. As we navigate under the 25 de Avril bridge, we will be flooding decks 0 through 3 to lower the ship and achieve sufficient air draft. Immediately after the safety drill, all passengers with cabins on Deck 3 should secure medications and any other belongings they need for two hours after sailaway, until such time as we have those decks pumped out. Thank you for choosing to sail with Royal Caribbean, and have a pleasant voyage."

"this is the captain speaking. As we navigate under the 25 de avril bridge, we will be flooding decks 0 through 3 to lower the ship and achieve sufficient air draft. Immediately after the safety drill, all passengers with cabins on deck 3 should secure medications and any other belongings they need for two hours after sailaway, until such time as we have those decks pumped out. Thank you for choosing to sail with royal caribbean, and have a pleasant voyage."

pmsl

RCI deck plans list 15 decks for Independence and 16 for Anthem (Oasis is listed with 18 decks). Independence of the Seas height above water line is 63.7 meters. The 25 de Abril Bridge in Lisbon has 70 meters of clearance at high water. Sorry, but over 6 meters clearance at high water is not "only just gets under" (but I agree that it can look that way when viewed from below). Anthem should have no issues.

Thom

Thom,have you been on top deck,or only viewed pictures.

maybe it would dock without going under bridge

The entire harbor for Lisbon is inside the bridge, and anything outside is not protected from the sea, so large ships won't berth or anchor there.

I have been on ships that have gone under the Verrazano Narrows, Golden Gate, Huey Long (NOLA), Oresund (Sweden to Denmark), 25th of April, and Bridge of the Americas bridges, and many, many lesser spans, and each and every one of them looks like you are just barely clearing when viewed from deck, regardless of how much clearance the ship actually has. Until you can get on top of the funnels, or the radar mast, you really have no idea how close you are to the bridge.

You also need to remember that vertical clearance under a bridge is based on high tide, or the minimum clearance. Larger ships will schedule bridge approaches at low tide, or as in the cases like the Queen Mary and the Verrazano bridge, they will combine low tide with "squat", which is the characteristic of a large ship in a shallow channel actually sucking itself down (increases draft by 2-3 feet) at high speeds. The Captain/Pilot will get his alignment on the bridge and order full ahead to create the squat.

I was on an offshore oil drilling vessel that was about 185' high, and we had to transit the Panama Canal. We ballasted as much as possible, and still had to get permission from the Canal Authority to go under the bridge with less than the normal 20' clearance. That one was so close, the cars on the bridge were slowing down and stopping to watch, as they were sure we'd hit.

The entire harbor for Lisbon is inside the bridge, and anything outside is not protected from the sea, so large ships won't berth or anchor there.

I have been on ships that have gone under the Verrazano Narrows, Golden Gate, Huey Long (NOLA), Oresund (Sweden to Denmark), 25th of April, and Bridge of the Americas bridges, and many, many lesser spans, and each and every one of them looks like you are just barely clearing when viewed from deck, regardless of how much clearance the ship actually has. Until you can get on top of the funnels, or the radar mast, you really have no idea how close you are to the bridge.

You also need to remember that vertical clearance under a bridge is based on high tide, or the minimum clearance. Larger ships will schedule bridge approaches at low tide, or as in the cases like the Queen Mary and the Verrazano bridge, they will combine low tide with "squat", which is the characteristic of a large ship in a shallow channel actually sucking itself down (increases draft by 2-3 feet) at high speeds. The Captain/Pilot will get his alignment on the bridge and order full ahead to create the squat.

I was on an offshore oil drilling vessel that was about 185' high, and we had to transit the Panama Canal. We ballasted as much as possible, and still had to get permission from the Canal Authority to go under the bridge with less than the normal 20' clearance. That one was so close, the cars on the bridge were slowing down and stopping to watch, as they were sure we'd hit.

I have sailed under the bridges at Quebec on vessels of Blount Small Ship Adventures, designed when properly trimmed to go under the 17 foot Erie Canal Bridges (probably 30 feet clearance in normal trim). From my top deck vantage point there we seemed to be well over halfway up to the deck, although we must have hade something like 120 feet clearance. You are absolutely correct, the view from a deck is EXTREMELY deceptive.

Roy

It's been absolutly SMASHING ,Thankyou.

Now, to change things for you completely, I forgot to mention that the Quantum retracts her funnels when going under the Verrazano bridge. Oasis has this feature, but it was found that her design would cause sooting of the decks, so they were permanently locked up. Quantum is required to do this each cruise, and so they will also do it in one or two ports down south to keep things from sticking. I assume Anthem will have the same. It reduces height by 15 feet.

Now, to change things for you completely, I forgot to mention that the Quantum retracts her funnels when going under the Verrazano bridge. Oasis has this feature, but it was found that her design would cause sooting of the decks, so they were permanently locked up. Quantum is required to do this each cruise, and so they will also do it in one or two ports down south to keep things from sticking. I assume Anthem will have the same. It reduces height by 15 feet.

Thanks for all of this fascinating info!

And there's no question that how things look when you are up on deck can be deceiving. This, for example, is the NCL Gem going under the Verrazano.

WillGemcleartheVerrazano_01.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

I always find your posts intelligent, informative, legible and educational.

Thank you for your contributions to the forum!

:)

Now, to change things for you completely, I forgot to mention that the Quantum retracts her funnels when going under the Verrazano bridge.

View the pictures I posted above. The funnels of Quantum were not retracted neither leaving nor coming back on our cruise. This was asked of the captain, and there is approx 5m clearance without retracting the funnels.