Pre-Cruise Luggage Question.

We will be on the Allure in April. For the first time we are flying into Ft. Lauderdale on a red-eye flight from Las Vegas arriving at 6am the morning of the cruise. (yes, yes, I know the dangers of arriving the same day and we normally don't but we had no choice this time.....and I imagine flying in April between Vegas and Ft. Lauderdale is unlikely to have any weather issues to delay our flight, and we arrive to Ft. Lauderdale 10+ hours before we need to be onboard....so I am not worried.)

My thought was to swing by the pier and drop off our luggage around 6:30-7am and then go eat breakfast and shop for wine before checking in for the cruise at noon. Would anyone know the earliest we could drop off our luggage? Do the porters mind dealing with new luggage before the previous guests are even off the ship?

We will be on the Allure in April. For the first time we are flying into Ft. Lauderdale on a red-eye flight from Las Vegas arriving at 6am the morning of the cruise. (yes, yes, I know the dangers of arriving the same day and we normally don't but we had no choice this time.....and I imagine flying in April between Vegas and Ft. Lauderdale is unlikely to have any weather issues to delay our flight, and we arrive to Ft. Lauderdale 10+ hours before we need to be onboard....so I am not worried.)

My thought was to swing by the pier and drop off our luggage around 6:30-7am and then go eat breakfast and shop for wine before checking in for the cruise at noon. Would anyone know the earliest we could drop off our luggage? Do the porters mind dealing with new luggage before the previous guests are even off the ship?

Since you are talking about needing a few taxi rides with this scenario, why not just rent a car? They are REALLY cheap in Fort Lauderdale, in my experience.

Since you are talking about needing a few taxi rides with this scenario, why not just rent a car? They are REALLY cheap in Fort Lauderdale, in my experience.

We have cruised out of Fort Lauderdale enough times to know that porters will not be ready for the new cruisers boarding the ship, until 10:30 or so. I would seriously investigate a one day car rental (as suggested)....avoid the multiple cab rides, and perhaps take in a little sight seeing in the Fort Lauderdale area. There is the International Swimming Hall of Fame & Museum or Bonnet House Museum, both very close by, just to name a couple. You can easily do breakfast and one of these museums and be at the ship by 1pm and ready to go!

I'm interested in this info too. We are arriving in ft Lauderdale at 9am March 14 for the Oasis. What is there very nearby to the port? If we take a taxi to the port could we walk anywhere? If renting a car how would it get from the port back to the car rental company? About how much $$ ?

We rented vehicle both inbound and outbound for about $50 each day. They provide end of rental shuttles to and from the pier. We find it easier than service since we do some visiting in FLL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The rental car is a good idea. Just rent one for a day with pickup and dropoff at the FLL airport. Take your bags with you, do your shopping, wine ,etc. Drive back to the airport to return your car. Then take a taxi from airport to the port....$20 or so. You have control of your luggage and avoid multiple taxi charges. It is a pretty clear shot from the airport to the port by taxi.

If I am not mistaken, you will not be able to buy your wine before noon.

We bought wine close to the port on in a mall with Publix and kept it in our carry on. No issues. It was around 11am when we stopped by. Southport mall area.

• 2 weeks later...

An update to this discussion:

I made a reservation with Budget Rental for $49 total. We will pick up at the airport at 6:30 am and we will drop off at the Port Everglades location whenever we are ready, probably around 1 pm. Apparently no shuttle from the airport will be needed since there is a Budget drop off right at the port. :)

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions!