Accessible Cabins - Upsell ever?

Big Old Bird

Due to recently broken ankle we had to change to an accessible cabin and were offered inside deck 2 or outside on promenade deck 3 (Zaandam) so went for the inside.

There are now at least 3 suites available to book via the website but we are 25 days from sailing and I'm wondering if there is any chance we'll be offered an upsell on an accessible cabin. A couple of weeks ago, when I rang I was offered an upgrade - basically the current difference in price.

We're only 2 star (about to be 3 after this one) so assume the chances must be slim although there are quite a few inside and outside accessible still available as well. Not sure if they would offer the accessible cabins to 4 and 5 star guests irrespective if they need an accessible one?

Basically, I don't want to pay for an upgrade yet if there is a chance we'll be offered an upsell at all.

Anyone ever had one for an accessible cabin specifically - otherwise I'll bite the bullet and pay the upgrade if needs be

thanks

Dawn

I once received a upgrade, not an upsell, on NCL from a balcony to an accessible balcony. When I protested to the front desk that I did not need an accessible cabin, I was told that were no other requests for such a cabin and that the move was considered a routine upgrade. It does happen.

Due to recently broken ankle we had to change to an accessible cabin and were offered inside deck 2 or outside on promenade deck 3 (Zaandam) so went for the inside.

There are now at least 3 suites available to book via the website but we are 25 days from sailing and I'm wondering if there is any chance we'll be offered an upsell on an accessible cabin. A couple of weeks ago, when I rang I was offered an upgrade - basically the current difference in price.

We're only 2 star (about to be 3 after this one) so assume the chances must be slim although there are quite a few inside and outside accessible still available as well. Not sure if they would offer the accessible cabins to 4 and 5 star guests irrespective if they need an accessible one?

Basically, I don't want to pay for an upgrade yet if there is a chance we'll be offered an upsell at all.

Anyone ever had one for an accessible cabin specifically - otherwise I'll bite the bullet and pay the upgrade if needs be

thanks

Dawn

I would continue to call HAL when the cruise gets within 5 weeks from sailing (thats about when the upsell process normally starts). They will likely say "no" or give you a high price, but continue to call every 3-4 days, as they can start at any time. Often I can tell when they are working on upsells - its when all of a sudden some of the categories of your cruise show "Sold Out" on the website, so watch the site everyday. They normally start with the highest category and work down, for obvious reasons.

Of course, the accessible cabins are limited, but I have often seen them open late in the process, so do not give up.

Minor thought - on the Zaandam there is a midship elevator. If you can book a cabin near it that will help getting around the ship (I know this is tough given the limited number of accessible cabins).

Good Luck - DaveOKC

We had an upgrade on Nieuw Amsterdam from a Verandah to an accessible stateroom. It was closest to the bow and the balcony was extra-large because of that configuration. We had lots of space and liked the extra windows looking forward, even though we could see out and others could see in when they opened up the bow for Venice and Istanbul. The curtains were closed at night for navigation reasons -- we were right below the Bridge.

We liked everything about the stateroom except for the bathroom, which was utilitarian. It was spacious, but unattractive with the extra shower head adjacent to the toilet. Because it was wheelchair accessible, there was no shelf under the sink, and the sink area was small. I had to be creative in order to store all my potions as well as DH's in just one series of shelves instead of the usual two above the sink.

We couldn't get used to the fact that there was no door-sill (or whatever it's called) into the bathroom (wheelchair accessibility). I would automatically step over the nonexistent barrier. Frankly, I like that door sill because it means we're on a ship! I would also stumble on the way to the sliding door because it was sloped for wheelchairs and rolling onto the balcony.

But we loved being so far forward, loved the extra space and the larger balcony. We usually reserve early and as far forward as possible to avoid balcony smokers -- and just because we like experiencing the feel of the waves. So we were, overall, very happy with this surprise upgrade.

thanks

Dawn

I would keep checking with Hal about any upsell's they might have. The closer you get to the sail date, the more chances for a nice upsell's.

• 4 months later...
Have never had nor heard of an upgrade or an upsell to an accessible cabin as these are usually the 1st to go. Nice you have an option. Have a great time!
In the last 2 hours I have gone from an OV guarantee FF to being assigned as good an OV as there is

-AND THEN-

we were offered and took a Lanai Accessible Cabin . My head is spinning. We are just 10 days from sailing .

(Cost was 150 PP for a 7 dayer)

Edited by richstowe

In the last 2 hours I have gone from an OV guarantee FF to being assigned as good an OV as there is

-AND THEN-

we were offered and took a Lanai Accessible Cabin . My head is spinning. We are just 10 days from sailing .

Wow! Sounds great, enjoy the lanai - come back and tell us all about it!:)

-AND THEN-

Congratulations -- great offer.

We booked the lowest inside guaranteed on HAL going to Alaska, the day of sailing at the dock we got our assignment, an outside accessible. Went to front desk after we boarded and said we do not need this room if someone else did. They said it was not needed and that was what we were assigned and to enjoy.

Edited by sunnygidget