Beach Glass

JDeanFan

Thanks for all the info in this thread. If anyone is going soon and can take photos, I'd love to get a visual of the beach and/or the stairs. Hoping to get there myself next June!!!

We're heading down next June as well. Hope you'll be joining us?!!;)

What is the official name of this beach by the Dockyard?

I believe it is called Black Bay, though the locals for obvious reasons call this Sea Glass Beach.

The ocean side of the Royal Naval Cemetary is called Parson's Bay. Below the cemetary there is a small body of water called the Lagoon. You can walk along Lagoon Road to go to Lagoon Park on the water.

Very interesting thread. :) I wish someone was able to post some pics of the area so I can get an idea and be sure I go to the right place. LOL

When pple are talking about getting back to the dockyard where their ship is, not sure if you are talking about Kings Wharf or St. George. Our Ship will be docked at Kings Wharf, and was curious to know how long is it from Kings Wharf to this Sea Glass Beach? Also, I'm assuming we can take a bus right there? or do we need to take a ferry to get there?

thank you so much! :)

Very interesting thread. :) I wish someone was able to post some pics of the area so I can get an idea and be sure I go to the right place. LOL

When pple are talking about getting back to the dockyard where their ship is, not sure if you are talking about Kings Wharf or St. George. Our Ship will be docked at Kings Wharf, and was curious to know how long is it from Kings Wharf to this Sea Glass Beach? Also, I'm assuming we can take a bus right there? or do we need to take a ferry to get there?

thank you so much! :)

The Royal Naval Dockyard or simply the dockyard is the more common name for King's Wharf.

It takes about 10 minutes to get to the sea glass beach. Any bus from the dockyard will take you right there.

If you read back to the earlier posts there are complete and easy directions.

The Royal Naval Dockyard or simply the dockyard is the more common name for King's Wharf.

It takes about 10 minutes to get to the sea glass beach. Any bus from the dockyard will take you right there.

If you read back to the earlier posts there are complete and easy directions.

Well, that explains ALOT! LOL As you can tell from my post, I was clueless hearing about this "Royal Naval Dockyard"...and to think it's the place where my ship will be docked (aka: King's Wharf) LOLOL I didn't know they were the same. I am SO HAPPY to hear that, that we are THAT CLOSE to the glass beach. WOW. Honestly, I was thinking it would be on the other end of Bermuda and really far. COOL! Thank you so much Writeratsea! And yes, I already copied and pasted your directions in a Word document! ;)

WOO HOO! My girls will love it and have so much fun. I just need to keep an eye on my 3.9 yr. old.

Well, that explains ALOT! LOL As you can tell from my post, I was clueless hearing about this "Royal Naval Dockyard"...and to think it's the place where my ship will be docked (aka: King's Wharf) LOLOL I didn't know they were the same. I am SO HAPPY to hear that, that we are THAT CLOSE to the glass beach. WOW. Honestly, I was thinking it would be on the other end of Bermuda and really far. COOL! Thank you so much Writeratsea! And yes, I already copied and pasted your directions in a Word document! ;)

WOO HOO! My girls will love it and have so much fun. I just need to keep an eye on my 3.9 yr. old.

In addition to the sea glass beach, there is a snorkle park near the fort. This would be a perfect place for the girls. Just make sure that they have crocs or water shoes as there are some rocks.

We always stop in the mall in the afternoon to get an icecream at Hagen Dazs, that sure hits the spot on a hot day. You also can see them blow glass at the glass studio and make rum cakes and nibble on free samples.

I would also use crocs at the sea glass beach. Even though most of the glass is weathered and softened, there might still be a sharp piece and why take a chance on a cut. Bring a good sized container to carry the glass back to the ship. Have fun.:)

In addition to the sea glass beach, there is a snorkle park near the fort. This would be a perfect place for the girls. Just make sure that they have crocs or water shoes as there are some rocks.

We always stop in the mall in the afternoon to get an icecream at Hagen Dazs, that sure hits the spot on a hot day. You also can see them blow glass at the glass studio and make rum cakes and nibble on free samples.

I would also use crocs at the sea glass beach. Even though most of the glass is weathered and softened, there might still be a sharp piece and why take a chance on a cut. Bring a good sized container to carry the glass back to the ship. Have fun.:)

Yes, I would bring their water shoes...I hardly leave no where without them. lol How close is the mall that you're talking about? Thanks for all that information and ideas. I appreciate it. :)

Yes, I would bring their water shoes...I hardly leave no where without them. lol How close is the mall that you're talking about? Thanks for all that information and ideas. I appreciate it. :)

When your ship docks, look out and you will see a clocktower. The mall is called Clocktower Mall and is located there. It is just a five minute walk. Snorkle beach is on the other side of the mall around the corner form the Fort (British Maritime Museum).

The Maritime Museum is interesting and also contains Dolphin Quest, where people can swim with the Dolphins. An added bonus is that you can sit on benches near the pool and watch the dolphins for free. They would be just feet away and I am sure the girls would be exited about that. Definitely something for them to tell the other kids when they get home. You just need to enter the Museum area before 4 PM as they lock the gates. You simply leave when you are finished as the gated area only allows you to exit not reenter.

All three areas are about a five minute walk each. Have fun and let me know if you have any other questions.:)

• 2 weeks later...

We were just at "sea glass beach" last week....I read about it on line and did quite believe I would actually see all this sea glass...boy was I wrong...I couldnt get down those stairs fast enough, when I got down the stairs I said to my husband "I just hit the jackpot" I could not believe my eyes when I seen how much sea glass there was....I must of picked up over 100 pieces within 15-20 minutes..it's unbelievable. My family and friends were amazed my the pictures. When I got home and layed it all out I said this is more then I coud find in a lifetime at the Jersey Shore.

Does anyone know why there is so much sea glass in that one area?

We were just at "sea glass beach" last week....I read about it on line and did quite believe I would actually see all this sea glass...boy was I wrong...I couldnt get down those stairs fast enough, when I got down the stairs I said to my husband "I just hit the jackpot" I could not believe my eyes when I seen how much sea glass there was....I must of picked up over 100 pieces within 15-20 minutes..it's unbelievable. My family and friends were amazed my the pictures. When I got home and layed it all out I said this is more then I coud find in a lifetime at the Jersey Shore.

Thanks for the report. Can you post your photos?

One of the local residents that I was talking with answered that question. He told me that they have been dumping glass bottles off this beach for years. They still go out in the boats and dump the bottles to replenish the supply. I don't know if this is organized or just a local tradition, but it is certainly different. This is also why there is so much more sea glass at this beach than at Alexandra Battery, which I think is a more accidental process.

It sounds like you had a great time doing this. It is a fun, cheap adventure with something tangible from Bermuda to take back home. Did you find the directions as easy as I claim?

There really is an amazing amount of the sea glass waiting to be gathered.

And the sea glass that is built into the walls, stairs and patio is stunning as well. Those must have been great photos.

I am sure this was one of the highlights of your Bermuda Cruise.

Bare with me I'm trying to post a picture but just learing how to do it...

What great pictures, they really give a good idea of the quanity of the beach glass that is available. I especially like the happy look on your face. LOL:)

I was not exaggerating when I said there were thousands of pieces scattered all over the place.

You might try- altho I've never tried it on beach glass- coating it, dipping it actually, in liquid floor wax. It comes in a bottle and is not expensive. I'm thinking about how you would let it dry without it sticking to something. Let me ponder that for a while. Only try one piece first- I don't know how it will react with glass. I've used it to coat the baked Sculpy clay beads to get a glass-like shine.

I do have to say- part of the beauty and uniqueness of beach glass is the natural etched frosted appearance. I also don't see why you would want to make it shiny. Maybe the lady next to the pier does not have genuine beach glass? It becomes etched from the salt and wear in the water- kinda has a history, you know?

OMG- I just saw the picture! I have goosebumps! I am a jewelry designer also... I make my own glass beads actually (and use an acid etch to get a beach glass look) but now I'm jonesin' to get to that beach. I'm going to Bermuda next year and I HAVE to go here!!!! Woah! The motherload!!! A beaders dream...

I'm sorry but the lady I spoke with who has the jewelry shop next to the pier does something to her pieces because some are "shiny". The earings I looked at were frosted but the large pendant piece was shiny. She would not tell me exactly what she does to the sea glass, but she also didn't say she did nothing.

I tried rubbing with vegetable oil (per instructions from another thread) and they look nice and bright, and still have the "frosted" look. I am attempting to make some pieces of jewelry out of my sea glass.

Those pics were great! We'll be in Bermuda Next week and my 11 year old would love this. we've always taken taxis in Bermuda but are trying the buses this time.

Is this area safe? Is it off the beaten path or is there a regular bus that comes by? Was it hard to find when you got off the bus? I don't want to wander onto anyones property and I'm a little nervous about going somewhere isolated. Thanks!

Those pics were great! We'll be in Bermuda Next week and my 11 year old would love this. we've always taken taxis in Bermuda but are trying the buses this time.

Is this area safe? Is it off the beaten path or is there a regular bus that comes by? Was it hard to find when you got off the bus? I don't want to wander onto anyones property and I'm a little nervous about going somewhere isolated. Thanks!

The sea glass beach is basically right off the road about 100 feet away. If you feel uncomfortable going through someone's yard, just walk down to the road that runs behind the turquois apartment buildings. When I asked a local resident for directions, he was so helpful. When I questioned whether it would be ok to go through the parking area, he said no problem, have a fun time.

They are very good about this area, actually pretty proud of it. They constantly throw more bottles in the ocean to replenish the supply. The area is very safe and noone will bother you.

Have fun and wear crocs to alleviate any nicks from the coral or the sea glass.:)

The picture above is great, but it only shows the right half of the beach. It goes equally as far on the left, and the concrete dock is not pictured. There is also a ton of sea glass in the water as well.

Don't forget to check out the walls, stairs and patios made with the sea glass imbeded in them. It is quite worth the trip.

The sea glass beach is basically right off the road about 100 feet away. If you feel uncomfortable going through someone's yard, just walk down to the road that runs behind the turquois apartment buildings. When I asked a local resident for directions, he was so helpful. When I questioned whether it would be ok to go through the parking area, he said no problem, have a fun time.

They are very good about this area, actually pretty proud of it. They constantly throw more bottles in the ocean to replenish the supply. The area is very safe and noone will bother you.

Have fun and wear crocs to alleviate any nicks from the coral or the sea glass.:)

Thank you!

Just got back and what an amazing trip. Alexandra Battery was much better than the Cemetary Beach. The kids had such fun picking out the glass they wanted and St. George is beautiful too. Go at low tide for the best results. The glass is inches deep. The suggestion to bring a cat litter scooper was perfect! We must have brought back 3 full knapsacks! We even found some red and cobalt blue and quite a bit of pink and yellow glass. Green, brown and clear were the standard colors. Upon return to the NCL Dawn, they confiscated all our glass, saying you cant take shells or animal products. Rather than argue with security, I called reception and explained it was man made glass that you can purchase as souveniers. They said they would look into it. The glass was returned to us a few hours later. We can't wait to start our craft projects.

A few Suggestions about Alexandra:

1. Go early in the morning as close to low tide as possible. Less People and it's a lot easier to pick out the peices you like. You can also explore the other beaches and lunch in St George.

2. The swimming here is great too so be sure to bring the regular beach stuff.

3. The snorkeling there is nice too. It's not the best, but has a fair share of fish and coral. Basically something for everyone.

Wow, this is getting long. On the last day we decided to swim and collect glass at the beach near the Dockyards. If you are short on time, you could try the cemetary beach, but I can't recommend it without a couple of warnings:

1. Wear Water shoes in the water and the sand. I made the kids do this, but thought I could get away bare foot. Needless to say I managed to get a nice gash on my foot as a going away present. Definately not the place for swimming either. After about 20 minutes I went for a swim. This used to be a garbage dumb, so their is a lot of debris at the bottom. After collecting glass we went to Church's Bay Beach to swim. It's on the South Shore. All the tourist head to Horseshoe Bay. I thought Church's was just as pretty and not nearly as crowed. Maybe 40 people total plus they had facilities and snorkel and chair/umbrella rental.

2. The Cemetary beach is public, but not the access way. People have been walking through the resident's yards. I spoke with one of the residents who was cordial, but you could tell he was not happy with the recent influx of tourists related to posts here. He said people had left garbage and even urinated in their yards. You can get to the rear of the Row by walking to either end of the Apartments. (Be sure to look out for traffic, as there is no sidewalk and the cars come around a bend)

3. If someone is there Say Good Morning and ask permission to use the stairway access. This is not a public stairway either, it is on private property. The beach used to be a garbage dump. After the Royal Navy left, the residents cleaned it up and built the stairway on their own. We brought my mother who has mobility issues. Be careful as the stairway is uneven and loose in some areas.

If you are short on time and don't mind that the selection of colors is not as varied as Alexandra, then this beach works too.

At Harbor nights in Hamilton, we saw several local vendors who had made a variety of crafts with the glass. Gave us lots of ideas too! I asked where they collected the glass, but they were very vague. Have fun in Bermuda!

Archived