Beach Glass

JDeanFan

5/31 sailing on the Dawn...could not believe how much sea glass was at Alberts Row beach (I did confirm that the locals also call this beach Black Bay and Glass Bottle beach). Some areas had 3-4 inches deep...we did find shards of blue, nothing bigger...but lots and lots of green, amber, clear and terracotta pottery...we even dound a little piece of blue and white painted pottery...very very cool. We just planted our butts at the edge of the shore and collected all the glass we could carry away. Since we did not have to limit our luggage weight since we are from NYC, we took home two gallon zip locks full of glass.

Our bus driver was a little unsure of where we wanted to go, but he figured it out. The bus ride was no more than 10 minutes from the Dockyard.

I was not sure if my husband would enjoy collecting sea glass (I'm the one that plans our itinerary, he does the transportation planning: plane, car, hotel). I was so pleased that he got into it, actually finding most of the blue pieces. He was like a little kid and he is still talking about how much fun it was and how cool the beach is.

I'm going to take some and fill a pretty jar with it. I also took home some pink sand from Warwick Long Bay, which was just lovely. I saw some switchplates covered with sand and sea glass at the Craft Market and plan to try to recreate them at home. I'm also taking some of the smaller pieces and putting them in small tulle drawstring bags and giving them away as gifts.

Great experience! We loved Bermuda!

by any chances u have any pictures ?? thanks

I'm really surprised some enterprising person hasn't decided to sell little draw string bags of sea glass at tourist places. Seems people would certainly pay for the glass ... if they don't want to trek down to the beach themselves ... hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

Please, don't give anyone ideas! Besides, for me it's the thrill of the hunt that makes it worthwhile for us beachcombers as well as the "prize" of the seaglass.

Please, don't give anyone ideas! Besides, for me it's the thrill of the hunt that makes it worthwhile for us beachcombers as well as the "prize" of the seaglass.

I totally agree ... just thinking about those who can't get down to the beach for one reason or another ...

BTW: when we were there in May, I talked to our cab driver about the sea glass beach. He said he lives across from it and about 4 or 5 years ago ... "all of a sudden" ship pax started showing up to collect sea glass ... after all those years of very little activity. I told him it was on the internet "on a very popular web site". He said they thought it had to be something like that ... interesting ...

by any chances u have any pictures ?? thanks

I have pictures but am computer challenged. If someone can give me step by step directions how to upload them I'd be happy to share. They're in my computer using Picasa (obviously the first time I've used it.)

Here's a pic of the sea glass I got ... in the lamp base ... not really a great pic of the glass, but's too much of a hassle to take it out of the lamp base to get a good pic for this site ...

Click on the pic to make it bigger ...

BTW: the glass will be totally clear when you find it wet on the beach ...

003.jpg.1d8b7a3d851dd88c933670f540317c38.jpg

I have pictures but am computer challenged. If someone can give me step by step directions how to upload them I'd be happy to share. They're in my computer using Picasa (obviously the first time I've used it.)

can you right click on the picture? there should be an option to send to - wherever you want it to go. I'm only one step ahead of you so it might not work.

Thanks Dianne! I've learned something new thanks to you! Your lamp looks wonderful. What a great idea!

BTW my mother was a Bennett, her dad was from Woodland, WA. Any chance I'm related to your husband and you?

1st Pic - the beach 2nd- The stairs! 3rd - Piles of glass

Click on pictures to make them larger.

117140603_Pilesofseaglass022.jpg.6c1ead7e344aa7b984a09aaf3798bd81.jpg

598614195_Ahhh!Thestairs!019.jpg.576e8b363233f5493fd6b99f514e0e94.jpg

1325480983_Morepilesofseaglass025.jpg.7e790fa67266694d383559870aea449d.jpg

BTW my mother was a Bennett, her dad was from Woodland, WA. Any chance I'm related to your husband and you?

My husband's Uncle Carl lived in WA. He would be well into his 90's if he were still alive. My husband has a cousin, Bill Bennett, who lives in Gig Harbor, WA. BTW: My husband is also "Bill Bennett" ...

My husband's Uncle Carl lived in WA. He would be well into his 90's if he were still alive. My husband has a cousin' date=' Bill Bennett, who lives in Gig Harbor, WA. BTW: My husband is also "Bill Bennett" ...[/quote']

I will check with the family geneologist, my 86 year old aunt. The names Carl and Bill do not sound familar to me.

I hope that the pictures are helpful to those looking for the beach. We didn't find the stairs at first.

Sherry

I bet you wish you had more seaglass to fill up your lamp base. It looks like you have a couple of pieces of pottery in there too. Am I right? I have a pretty good size piece of pottery from down on the coast of Maine earlier this year. I've had to look long and hard to find seaglass here in Maine. Your pieces look like they've been tumbled well too. Did you get anything besides brown, green and white?

If anyone wants to PAY for seaglass, there is LOTS of it for sale on EBAY. Some really pretty cobalt blue glass too. I thought about ordering it but I want the satisfaction of finding my own to make jewerly with. Then I'll have to figure out how to get it drilled for stringing.

Kathy in northern Maine, sailing on the Dawn in Oct.

quote=Bennett'sCruise;19998182]Here's a pic of the sea glass I got ... in the lamp base ... not really a great pic of the glass, but's too much of a hassle to take it out of the lamp base to get a good pic for this site ...

Click on the pic to make it bigger ...

BTW: the glass will be totally clear when you find it wet on the beach ...

Archived