2 days in Anchorage...need advice

surgie

My husband and I will arrive in Anchorage post cruise by train from Seward on May 29 (around 10:00 pm). Our flight home is May 31 at 11:30 pm. We don't want to spend 2 full days in Anchorage. We will have a rental car. Is it feasible to drive to Denali early on May 30, take a bus tour, spend the night, and drive back to Anchorage on the 31st? Or should we save Denali for another trip when we can spend more time and do a couple day trips our to Anchorage instead?

yes, it's POSSIBLE; it's only a 5 hr drive under usual conditions. That's a lot of road time ... 5 hrs each way plus 6 hrs on the park bus . Only you can decide on the priority.

Keep in mind that the park road is only open to Toklat. You have plenty of daylight so you could either take an afternoon shuttle on Sat or an early morning shuttle on Sunday. (I'd probably choose the Sat shuttle so as not to feel pressure on Sunday, then stop into Talkeetna for lunch on the return to Anc)

Or you could do a couple of nice day trips. ... drive to Matanuska Glacier for an ice trek then visit Independence Mine. Spend a day in Anchorage and a day along the Turnagain Arm or a glacier cruise from Whittier.

shuttle schedule https://reservedenali.ahlsmsworld.com/ReserveDenali/Plan-Your-Trip/Tour-And-Activity-Search/Results

Edited by mapleleaves

yes, it's POSSIBLE; it's only a 5 hr drive under usual conditions. That's a lot of road time ... 5 hrs each way plus 6 hrs on the park bus . Only you can decide on the priority.

Keep in mind that the park road is only open to Toklat. You have plenty of daylight so you could either take an afternoon shuttle on Sat or an early morning shuttle on Sunday. (I'd probably choose the Sat shuttle so as not to feel pressure on Sunday, then stop into Talkeetna for lunch on the return to Anc)

Or you could do a couple of nice day trips. ... drive to Matanuska Glacier for an ice trek then visit Independence Mine. Spend a day in Anchorage and a day along the Turnagain Arm or a glacier cruise from Whittier.

Thanks Mapleleaves, that's what I suspected. I don't think we want to drive that much for such a short visit...need to do Denali another time. I appreciate the alternatives.

I agree... You *could* do Denali, but it'd be a lot of time on the road.

If it was me, I'd do as previously suggested: Day One head north to the Matanuska Glacier. You could also look at including Hatchers Pass, the Musk Ox Farm, the Reindeer Farm, Eklutna Lake or the Eagle River Nature Center.

For Day Two, I'd south to Whittier for a Prince William Sound glacier cruise. Or at the very least, the one hour Portage Lake glacier cruise. You could also look at including the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, the tram at Alyeska Resort, or the hike to Byron Glacier.

Are you touring Seward? There possibly could be more interests there? If so, then move your transfer day.

http://www.anchorage.net and the Matsu web site offer suggestions. Another option would be a Prince William Sound boat tour

In Seward, we are taking the Major Marine Kenai Fjords 6-hour cruise. So we will catch the train to Anchorage when we get back. But the cruise doesn't leave until 11:30 am and we dock at 5:00 am. Being early morning people, we might look for something else to do in Seward before we take off on the cruise.

In Seward, we are taking the Major Marine Kenai Fjords 6-hour cruise. So we will catch the train to Anchorage when we get back. But the cruise doesn't leave until 11:30 am and we dock at 5:00 am. Being early morning people, we might look for something else to do in Seward before we take off on the cruise.

There is plenty to see and do in Seward. My point was to split your time so you had another day in Seward- if of interest to you. Even a second Kenai fjords trip is very worthwhile. Depends what your overall priorities are.

Hi Surgie - We're on your cruise and doing the exact same as you! Major marine cruise at 11.30am and then Alaska railroad to Anchorage. We're also trying to decide how to spend Saturday but we don't have much time on Sunday as we fly out around 3.00pm.

We rented a car and went toSeward for two nights,and then Talkeetna. It's a loooong drive to Denali. We had a great time renting a cabin in those two places and touring around. Seward had awesome restaraunts as well as a great envoronmental Museum where they rescue marine life and rehabilitate them. The railroad ride is amazing and so worth it. Beautiful scenery.

Edited by Rockymountains