Kids Identification

LOVEMYMO

Question for my sister. She is taking her 3 DD on their first cruise - last minute booking. They do not have passports. They are going to the Bahamas. I read that they do not need passports if they leave from and return to a U.S. port. But they will need Certified Birth Certificates and Gov't issued picture ID's. Where do the children get the Gov't issued picture ID's? Sorry if this is a silly question - but I have no clue. :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Yes, my daughter has a passport at 4 she looks nothing like her 9 month old self. A photo ID is pointless. The customs agents did ask her to tell them her name, her age and who she was traveling with upon our return in Feb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just as a word of warning, having experienced it first hand... The birth certificate must be a certified copy with the raised seal.

The seal was not very raised on my children's certificate on a previous cruise and we were detained. Eventually, we were allowed to board. But, it was an anxious 60 minutes. After that experience, I ordered passports for my kids.

Hope your sister has a great trip!

Question for my sister. She is taking her 3 DD on their first cruise - last minute booking. They do not have passports. They are going to the Bahamas. I read that they do not need passports if they leave from and return to a U.S. port. But they will need Certified Birth Certificates and Gov't issued picture ID's. Where do the children get the Gov't issued picture ID's? Sorry if this is a silly question - but I have no clue. :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Children under 16 do not need a photo id. To more directly answer your question however you can get a photo id made at the DMV. It is an Identification card only, but again this is not needed for children under 16.

6&8

Just as a word of warning, having experienced it first hand... The birth certificate must be a certified copy with the raised seal.

The seal was not very raised on my children's certificate on a previous cruise and we were detained. Eventually, we were allowed to board. But, it was an anxious 60 minutes. After that experience, I ordered passports for my kids.

Hope your sister has a great trip!

There is no requirement in the regulations for a raised seal (many states don't even use them any longer) and either you cruised shortly after the regulations were promulgated and there was a lot of uncertainty or the person that helped you was on a power trip.

Yes, my daughter has a passport at 4 she looks nothing like her 9 month old self. A photo ID is pointless. The customs agents did ask her to tell them her name, her age and who she was traveling with upon our return in Feb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting! Hadn't thought about this aspect as we will be cruising with our son for the first time. Are these the basic questions that kids are asked? I will talk with him ahead of time, as we have been having a lot of discussions lately about talking to strangers (he's 5).

My 10 year old wasn't asked anything when we came through customs in Baltimore. I don't think there is any requirement for them to question minors. I think it's just like how you sometimes get chatty cashiers at the grocery store who talk to little kids and sometimes you don't.