My comments - just off our two week back to back on Oasis

Hi everyone. I don't intend for this to be a comprehensive review, but just a summary of some of the things that stood out for us. It will likely come off sounding fairly negative, but overall, we had a pretty good time.

We are both in our mid-50's, retired and have cruised over 25 times, likely about a dozen or so times on RCCL. This was our first cruise as Diamond members, and we loved the nightly lounge/snacks and other perks. We travelled the first week with my brother and his family, including our two nieces who are 19 and 20 respectively. On the first week we had the Ultimate drink package, but did not for the second week.

First week was Western Caribbean. Weather wasn't the greatest. We were less than impressed with Labadee. The beach is not appealing to us, the water had lots of weeds in it. The barbeque lunch is disgusting. This is our third time at Labadee in the past 20 years, and I hope its our last.

Next was Falmouth. We spent a few hours at Margaritaville which was okay, but this port again didn't appeal much to us. Falmouth is too far to get to other places comfortably or at a reasonable cost. (we only arrived at 10:00 a.m.). We had wanted to book Rose Hall Estate, but they were not accepting reservations this week (Valentines week).

Next was Cozumel. We had pre booked Mr. Sanchos and enjoyed our day here, though again weather wasn`t the greatest, the red flag was flying so no swimming and they didn`t have any beach or water activities operating. My nieces enjoyed the drinks and the bar and the pool and we had fun just being with them.

We had early dining and were seated in the AmericanIcon Dining Lounge. This dining room is too crowded with tables and chairs and hard to get around. But, we had a good waiter (Victor from Peru) and his assistant from China was excellent as well. Wine service was non-existent from a surly guy. After the second night the assistant waiter took care of our wine requests (by the glass with the package). Food was okay, nothing special but we generally found something to order, though my husband had pasta three nights which he has never had to 'resort to' before (lol). We ate in Chops one night and that was quite nice. We have never eaten in there before so I can`t comment on how it compares to previous menus or service. We enjoyed it (and booked it for the two of us for the second week).

There were 1000 kids on board this week. We expected a family atmosphere going in so knew this was likely. Teenagers commandeered the elevators several evenings, including one night when the door opened and there were a dozen or so of them sitting cross legged on the floor. Overall elevator etiquette was non existent with people pushing to get on before others were off, young people pushing in front of elderly people, etc.

We had booked Room 8329, which is at the end of the boardwalk also with a view of the ocean. We knew in advance it would be nosier than a regular balcony cabin on the ocean, but wanted to experience this boardwalk/Aqua Theatre view which can`t be done anywhere else. It was neat and glad we did it, but we prefer regular ocean view balcony cabins and views.

Our turn-around day wasn`t handled very well. Despite my prior attempts to ensure our reservations were linked (we booked the two weeks at two different times with two different agents), and again on board (where they told me they were not able to check to ensure all was in order as they can only deal with that weeks' cruise, we had some (fairly minor) issues, but these should not have happened. Nothing major but we weren't on the list and on turn-around day, every step of the way we encountered the need to re-identify ourselves, etc. Lunch was offered in Giovanni`s which was a nice gesture. Tyler Parker at the front desk (Asst Manager) was very kind when I went to see him and outline our frustrations - he sent us a bottle of wine which was also a very nice gesture.

Second week the weather was fantastic - and we visited Nassau (didn`t get off the ship here), St. Thomas and St. Martin. St. Thomas was crowded with six or seven ships in port and we didn't arrive until 10:00 so we didn't try to get to the beach. St. Martin we went to Orient Beach which was nice. Seaweed problems seems to be generally resolved (less seaweed here than Cozumel!)

A comment on the pool area - the pools seem far too small for a ship with this many people! For those who worry about chair hogs, yes there were lots. On our last two sea days, we were out at the Beach Pool at 7:30, and good a good chair with an umbrella. On the last day we were out at 7:15 a.m. and the only chairs available were the `blue strap` ones. Most of the chairs remained empty on both days until 9:00 or later, and even then in the large groups, you would see perhaps one person come and spread a towel out to make it look `lived in' and then take off again.

On this week we didn`t have the drink package, so visited the Diamond Lounge nightly which was a lovely start to the evening. Also on this week we noted the offer of a wine package (5 or 7 bottles) so we also took advantage of this. We had MTD on this week, and ate in the Silk Dining Lounge with Agnelo and Michael as our excellent servers.

We ate in Giovanni`s one night for dinner which was ok - nothing overly spectacular in my opinion as an overall experience - though the steak was divine. We ate in Chops again on the last night, it was extremely busy and the chef seemed to have slipped with the salt shaker as we found most things extremely overly salted - more so than the previous week!

We saw all the shows except Cats on week one (I`m not giving up 2.5 hours for a show while I`m on a cruise) and enjoyed them. We had booked them all for the second week as well, but didn`t return to any (though we always enjoyed watching the Aqua show from our balcony).

So, overall - we had a pretty good time but the ship was far too big and crowded for our liking. I can see why young families enjoy the experience (and we did enjoy seeing the characters around, and the parade!). We went on this cruise because my brother and family were going, and we booked the second solo week because it was just easier than switching ships, but would not sail Oasis (or Allure) again - leaving it for families to enjoy.

I hope you find some helpful information or insight in my comments.

Josie2

We saw all the shows except Cats on week one (I`m not giving up 2.5 hours for a show while I`m on a cruise) and enjoyed them. We had booked them all for the second week as well, but didn`t return to any (though we always enjoyed watching the Aqua show from our balcony).

Josie2

Is it a paid fee to go to the Cats show or the Aqua show??

I saw this online:

Cats

Cats, one of the world’s best known and best loved musicals, is about to make another world debut. The 1983 Tony Award® winner opened in London’s West End in 1981 and has since been presented in over 20 countries and about 250 cities. And now it joins Royal Caribbean’s other Broadway favorites at sea.

Price: Not included in cost of cruise

AquaTheater Shows

137,000 gallons of incredible. Only onboard Oasis-class ships, experience the AquaTheater – dancers, divers and acrobats pull off stunts against a backdrop of backlit fountains, big screens and the endless horizon of the sea.

Is it a paid fee to go to the Cats show or the Aqua show??

I saw this online:

Cats

Cats, one of the world’s best known and best loved musicals, is about to make another world debut. The 1983 Tony Award® winner opened in London’s West End in 1981 and has since been presented in over 20 countries and about 250 cities. And now it joins Royal Caribbean’s other Broadway favorites at sea.

AquaTheater Shows

137,000 gallons of incredible. Only onboard Oasis-class ships, experience the AquaTheater – dancers, divers and acrobats pull off stunts against a backdrop of backlit fountains, big screens and the endless horizon of the sea.

No fee for either show.

Thanks for the review! Going on her next weekend.

I'm warning everyone out there - if there are chair hogs and unmanned chairs I'm snitching to the staff! ;) It is very irritating when people do this! Get some manners people! <rant over>

The only time I'd worry about "chair hogs" would be if NO loungers were to be found! Even tho you may not be right beside the pool (and I prefer not to be that close...too crowded), there will be loungers somewhere!

I think that happened when they launched the new site this morning. I'm sure they'll fix the glitch soon.

Yes, I noticed on the new site launch today that the MDR on Oasis was also listed as "not included in the price" :eek: Wonder if Royal's IT team gets paid overtime lol.

I started a new thread earlier tonight, but since you just got off the ship...did you take notice of the late night entertainment in the Globe & Atlas? I am hoping there was some kind of singer/guitar person.

Yes there was a singer/guitar player who started playing at 930 nightly. He seemed to have a relatively limited set list as we heard many of the same songs three nights we were there. But he had a good voice and it was pleasant.

glad you had an overall nice cruise. you had mentioned the teens hoarded the elevators.... i will say this, on one of our cruises, the older generation (don't know how to put it) were the most rudest of all people i have ever been around. I'm 60 myself and I would like respect, but the teens on this particular cruise were angels compared to the older group. I'm not sure if it's the generation? or life cruisers, but either way, i was glad for the younger crowd!

Thanks for the review! Going on her next weekend.

I'm warning everyone out there - if there are chair hogs and unmanned chairs I'm snitching to the staff! ;) It is very irritating when people do this! Get some manners people! <rant over>

We're on the same sailing and will do the same. :cool:

Did you happen to keep your cruise compass for the E.C. portion of your B2B? I'd love it if you could possibly post it---just curious about daily activities since we don't plan to get off the ship (been to those ports PLENTY)....Thanks!

Also, FYI, that week was also Mardi Gras & lots of kids in Louisiana are out of school that entire week. They leave town while the tourists flood their area--ha!

Sorry, we didn't keep the compasses! Generally though, pickings are slim while in port. We didn't get off for long in St Thomas, but we just wanted a quiet day at the pool anyway.

You don't have to worry about chair hogs on the Oasis....at least not a deck chair. Oasis had more deck chairs and loungers than any ship I've ever been on - they were everywhere! They must have a couple thousand deck chairs on that ship! We were on board Feb 21 - 28 and that is the one thing we never worried about - getting a deck chair. I took photos of the rows of empty deck chairs just to remind myself that I wasn't dreaming.