The "Star" Rating

zorrosuncle

Hello --

I think you are right. Perhaps this explains why so obviously poor service lines are still rated 4 to 5-star. Some of the travel magazines have ratings -- also Cruise Critic, but the presence of cruise or general travel advertising makes me question the veracity.

Maybe a good TA is best. They hear the bad stories upon a traveler's return.

ZU

Well there are some rating organizations, such as AAA and their 5 Diamonds, there is also Michelin. Otherwise, do not trust any cruise line that calls themselves "six stars". Five is the limit.

There are rating and then there are ratings.

If, where I am, see 4 star NRMA rated [NRMA is pretty much your AAA as I understand it] it means something, f it just says 4 star wonder if that's how many stars I can see through the roof because it means nothing at all.

Hi --

Was just wondering: What organization, if any, assigns the official star rating to the cruise ship's/line pedigree? i.e. 5-star cruise line, 4-star, etc.

ZU

Ratings are very subjective and some are self-assigned. And how you judge a travel item may differ vastly from how others may do it and how many of them are there. For example, if you look at Trip Advisor ratings for restaurants, you'll often find that an inexpensive but mediocre establishment beats out a Michelin starred restaurant, which the average person may avoid.

Likewise with cruises:mass market lines have more passengers than premium or luxury lines and the sheer number of customers on the large ships may erroneously skew data when things are not judged "pro rata."