Can you bring on board curling irons?

They allow curling and straightening irons. I take both ever time I cruise and never had them taken away. They're usually out in clear view for steward to see, and never had them say anything. For my clothing, I bring a steamer for in room use and also a spray bottle for water, which I take to the launderette to use with their iron.

A friend's travel iron was confiscated on our cruise and was sent to the naughty room. :D

Wondering if they would do the same for curling irons and hair straighteners?

Anything with a heating element; clothes iron, tea pot, coffee maker, cup warmer, steamers, etc., will not be allowed onboard. The only exception the lines make is for hair care appliances, all of which are allowed, provided they are in good condition. Realistically, the lines would like to keep the hair appliances off as well, but they know the storm they would create if they tried it. It is all for fire safety reasons.

The previous poster has had luck in getting a steamer onboard, but they are generally not allowed. Many people believe because a steamer does not have a "hot surface" like an iron, it is safe. However, the "auto off" and low water level switches on these appliances have been known to fail, and the appliance will continue to heat until it melts and can then ignite things in the cabin.

Edited by chengkp75

Never had a problem with any type of hair appliance - curling iron, curling brush, hot rollers, etc.

Previous posters mentioned bringing a steamer and also spray bottle of water to use with ship's iron. Have seen many steamers confiscated on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Also, their ships do not have laundromats/ironing rooms, so you would be wasting packing spray by bringing water bottle.

Also, their ships do not have laundromats/ironing rooms, so you would be wasting packing spray by bringing water bottle.

Actually, spraying your clothes and hanging them up will help get rid of some of the creases. Hanging them in the bathroom with a hot shower will also help.

And to answer the OP, hair appliances are okay as has been mentioned by previous posters.

If cruise lines stated NOT allowing curling irons, I would quit cruising! :eek:

Happily, no problem, you can take your curling iron! :)

LuLu

Yeah, that would put me back on land-based vacations, too.

I cruised three or four times before I realized that steamers were not allowed. I never had a problem with having it confiscated, but it doesn't look like an iron but more like a hair dryer.

I've never had a problem with bringing my curling iron. I have one with an automatic off-on switch and I'm always very good about making sure it's unplugged when I'm done with it - but on many cruises I've noticed that our cabin stewards wrap the cord around it when they clean our cabin - just making doubly sure it's safe.