Cruised 6 times; first solo...help

Rhino Dave

I am cruising for the first time solo and I am trying to anticipate any problems or differences with doing it solo versus with a partner. I plan on doing a Caribbean run. I have not booked it yet. I always use Royal Cab. Any thoughts are appreciated.

/the only "downside", for me, anyway, would be the loneliness factor....I like to have someone (friend or otherwise) to share the experiences and dining with!

You already (I guess) know that the cost for the cabin is the same, whether it's 1 or 2 people.....

Join your roll call once you book. I have met many fellow cruisers this way and have friendly faces to see onboard.

I have cruised 130 days solo and love it. I have never been lonely. Love having the space to myself and doing what I want, when I want, if I want!

I did my first solo last year and have already planned my next. I love to cruise with my friend but it sometimes gets to the point what do you want to do, ohh I don't want to do that. Solo is as someone else put it, do what you want, when you want to where you what to basically. Dinner on the lido, sure, hang out at the pool ok. Watch a show perfect. Go to sleep early at 9pm perfect because no one else will be there to keep you from doing that. I have to say my roll call was pretty much non existent but I did meet people on board during dinner time and actually had dinner table next to mine with a couple a few times. It was nice. A lot of people don't understand why you would want to go solo but I loved it. :D

Mostly I cruise with my DH. I've cruised a few times with friends. I've also cruised solo. After the debacle that last year's "girls cruise" was, I'll be going with DH or solo. When I am solo I can do as I want, when I want, without a bunch of judgement or drama ;) If I want to sit on a public deck and enjoy the scenery/weather/conversation/wine/whatever, I will be able to do it with no one feeling I'm being antisocial. If I want to get up at 6 am and not be part of the "group breakfast" (heaven help me :eek: ) no one feels ignored.

My one "tip" would be to go into it that you have made this choice, that you choose to sail solo. So you are in the right frame of mind to enjoy the cruise as it unfolds.

I did my first solo last year and have already planned my next. I love to cruise with my friend but it sometimes gets to the point what do you want to do, ohh I don't want to do that. Solo is as someone else put it, do what you want, when you want to where you what to basically. Dinner on the lido, sure, hang out at the pool ok. Watch a show perfect. Go to sleep early at 9pm perfect because no one else will be there to keep you from doing that. I have to say my roll call was pretty much non existent but I did meet people on board during dinner time and actually had dinner table next to mine with a couple a few times. It was nice. A lot of people don't understand why you would want to go solo but I loved it. :D

Yes. I am looking forward to going alone. I dont think I will be bored. I know a lot of criss have single nights too and so forth.

If you want to be alone - it's not an issue. If you want people to talk to there's always someone around. I find eating at a set dining time at a set table helps me but others don't. I agree, join the roll and have a blast. I'm heading off on my third solo in September. Love traveling on my terms not having to worry about someone else's.

Book fixed dining time at a large table. You will have a few people to talk to regularly of an evening. Cheap inside cabins are best for solos if you go for a balcony you will be tempted to sit on it alone for long periods. Sit out on deck chat and mingle and save cash for next trip or excursions. Book some excursions beforehand if you like but see if anyone you meet is doing anything and consider changing. I like to do MDR breakfasts and mingle again. It's all about doing what you want and not being worried if you are on your own.

Regards John

Book fixed dining time at a large table. You will have a few people to talk to regularly of an evening. Cheap inside cabins are best for solos if you go for a balcony you will be tempted to sit on it alone for long periods. Sit out on deck chat and mingle and save cash for next trip or excursions. Book some excursions beforehand if you like but see if anyone you meet is doing anything and consider changing. I like to do MDR breakfasts and mingle again. It's all about doing what you want and not being worried if you are on your own.

Regards John

Great ideas John!

Regards John

I love a balcony. I see nothing wrong with sitting on it for long periods. I find being around people 24/7 to be extremely draining. I need my alone time.