Norwegian dawn

Thecat3902

What does everyone think of the Norwegian dawn? Also how are the family suites. I was thinking of taking my mom, and 4 girls. Is it a good bit for kids? How are the older ships? I have the escape booked for next year and with the sales and afford a suite in 2017 on one of these older ships. Any feedback would be great

I got a great rate on the Dawn for an SJ family suite in Jan 2017. I had the same question and searched through CC for some reviews and pictures. I also searched YouTube and found a couple of good videos. I think it looks great. So, I booked and am going to have my first experience in the "suite" life!!! Do a little searching if you have time and there are some great and very informative reviews.

I have been on the Dawn several times, and it continues to be one of my favorites. Built expressly for the freestyle concept, it is a good design :) It's funny to hear someone call her an "older" ship as it seems like it was just yesterday in 2003 when she was unveiled :)

The family suites on deck 12 forward are fairly new, having been added somewhat recently. They are an excellent value and there really is nothing like having a suite :)

Being a mid sized ship, the Dawn can go to more exotic places than the newer ships so the itineraries seem more interesting as a result.

Being smaller than Escape or Breakaway and Getaway, there are fewer entertainment venues, but for the amount of passengers it seems like there are plenty of things to do.

There is no waterpark or ropes course, but the pool area is larger than on the newer ships.

My kids were 7 and 4 and had a great time. The kids club and kids pool they enjoyed. No putt putt golf but over all we had a great time.

We loved our SJ suite. Plenty of room for the 4 of . Best affordable room on the ship for 5.

When I get home I can post some pics of the room.

Nothing wrong with the Dawn

What does everyone think of the Norwegian dawn?

You asked, so I'll be honest. Let's put it this way...I haven't cruised NCL since sailing the Dawn in Dec 2012. Of nearly 50 cruises on 5 lines, Dawn stands out in my mind as being my least favorite cruise ship.

Feel free to take a look at the photo review I did and see for yourself the reasons I was less than satisfied...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1759414

Edited by Aquahound

IMG_7548_zps9e8cacd5.jpg

The rooms are the wall of glass forward and top

nclcruise045_zps4967fb0f.jpg

Here is the murphy bed deployed from the wall and set up

nclcruise166_zps1c741601.jpg

Here is my 4 year old to give the bed some scale

The SJ also gives you cagny's for breakfast and lunch which was a great perk!

We have sailed on the Pearl (twice), the Dawn and, most recently, the Getaway in the Haven.

We loved the Pearl so much we sailed her twice in two years.

The Getaway is huge and a nice new ship. The Haven is amazing and has spoiled us rotten….

The Dawn left us underwhelmed. The common areas are cramped and crowded and I think it is due to the "new" suites added at the expense of common areas. We won't sail the Dawn again…ever…..unless someone invites us to stay in the Villa which is beyond words gorgeous and something like 8000 square feet.

Can't say enough good things about her. We hop on board after only a 10 minute T (subway) ride and our vacation begins immediately.

If you are looking to relax with the wind in your face, a good book and a cocktail on deck, have a nice meal, and have plenty to do at night, you'll be pleased.

We love the Dawn -- have sailed on her 3 times and have a 2 bedroom suite (our first suite!) booked for next year with my parents and our son who will be 2 then. We have also sailed on the Star, Gem, Epic, and a few ships on other lines. Dawn and her sister ship Star are my favorite NCL ships.

I sailed on the Dawn last summer. It was my third cruise. I liked NCL Spirit and Disney Magic better, but the Dawn isn't that bad. I have another cruise booked on her this fall. Now that I have been on the Dawn, I know what I like and what I don't like. I can plan my trip accordingly. But as many here say, any day on a cruise is a good day!

We have sailed on the Pearl (twice), the Dawn and, most recently, the Getaway in the Haven.

We loved the Pearl so much we sailed her twice in two years.

The Getaway is huge and a nice new ship. The Haven is amazing and has spoiled us rotten….

The Dawn left us underwhelmed. The common areas are cramped and crowded and I think it is due to the "new" suites added at the expense of common areas. We won't sail the Dawn again…ever…..unless someone invites us to stay in the Villa which is beyond words gorgeous and something like 8000 square feet.

No, the removal of the Spinnaker Lounge was not a good thing, but being in one of those suites was. I loved cabin 12502, and those fantastic views.

No, the removal of the Spinnaker Lounge was not a good thing, but being in one of those suites was. I loved cabin 12502, and those fantastic views.

Do you have any photos of this room? We are in 12502 in a little over 2 weeks.

I really think it depends on what activities you want for the kids. The bigger ships are more go, go, go. The Dawn is great if you want a lot of down time, family time. At my stage of life, I'd say Dawn all the way, but if you are looking for stuff to do with the kids, or for the kids to go off and do without you, a larger ship might be better.

We were in 12002 (opposite side) when I finally convinced DH to join me for a cruise. He was hooked instantly with those views. (And fun to look back down the ship when they were "exercising" the lifeboats, and watch them lowered and brought back up!)

I had read about all of the complaints about the suites taking over the Spinnaker, but being new to NCL, didn't quite "get it".

However, if the Spinnaker on the Pearl is anything like what the Spinnaker used to be like on the Dawn, then now we understand!

The Spinnaker on the Pearl is amazing, wide open, bright, etc.

The 'new' replacement Spinnaker on the Dawn isn't even close.

So as much as we LOVED the DOS (and thing those family suites on Deck 12 are terrific, too), we think it's an overall loss for the Dawn not to have the Spinnaker lounge in the original forward location.

We hope they don't change it on the ships that still have the original location.

GeezerCouple

We cruised on the Dawn this past July and it was our least favourite cruise. The ship was nice but there wasn't much room for evening entertainment once the shows were finished. One small lounge and a pub that had Karaoke every night were your only real options.

It seemed to us that much of the space was taken up by the up-pay restaurants and they were constantly pushing these options. The MDR had no room outside for people to wait and did cause some people to get frustrated while waiting, especially given the fact that they have started taking reservations in the MDRs. The food in the MDRs was average at best and the service was mediocre. The food at the buffet was the same every day and not that good.

While we were not in a suite, we did have a cabin with a balcony. It was a bit smaller that the other ships we've been on and it would have been cramped if our teen son was with us. It was a nice cabin and our steward was the best we've ever had.

We sailed on the Dawn Feb. 8, 2015, and while we found the ship okay our suite certainly was not. The room would have been pleasant except for the fact that the view from three of the four windows was completely ruined the entire trip by the moisture trapped between the panes of glass. We complained and initially were offered a 15% discount on a future cruise. Thanks for the offer - not interested. We were then offered an OBC which was less than the difference between a balcony and this suite. We were told that this had been an ongoing problem but could not be fixed until the ship is dry docked in 2016.

As for entertainment, nothing of interest to us. Same for onboard games, etc. Enjoyed some of the public areas and loved the Chefs Table.

We took the trip to relax and enjoy the view. Best laid plans.....

We're planning on sailing on the Dawn, in a suite (due to the affordability of suites on this ship). Thanks for the helpful photos of the SJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the glass issue only in the SJ or in the balcony versions too (SD)? We are in 12526 in a year (before Dry Dock) and am curious if anyone knows this specific room? If its a glass seal issue, it takes a little effort but surly they could do some drying with desiccant, etc in a pinch. At least on the SD we can just open the door - which it will be most of the time...

Curious if anyone has knowledge on the SD's about how much maneuvering space exists with the Murphy bed down? Specifically access to the balcony. I usually am up at all hours going out on the balcony (used to be for a cigar) and don't want to climb over my kids. Also how about the Murphy bed and the sleeper sofa at the same time?