Question re Transoceanic vs Papeete-LA 2016

greydog

Greetings. I'm frequent Celebrity cruiser booked on Oceania for the 1st time. Although its quite a way off, we're in B3 veranda GTY with O air for Marina transoceanic May 14, 2016 to Lisbon. I've been busy researching the 'wait list, Gty, upsell, downsell, shift' information on this board.

Alternatively we would also enjoy the 18-day May 28 '16 Papeete to LA (love sea days).

My question: What's the past experience with passenger demand between those two itineraries? I'm hopeful first for an upsell offer on the transoceanic. Second, any realistic chance O might be soliciting, incentivize shifting bookings from transoceanic to the Papeete-LA sailing (I realize its often cabin category dependent)?

I'm afraid some of the stories on this board about generous offers from O for volunteers shifting their booking has me dreaming. Anyhow, its fun to speculate - go ahead and dump the ice water bucket on me. ;)

I think you are "sitting pretty" with your GTY. You are likely to get some offers as these voyages are very popular and with a GTY your are already at overbooking levels (of course, people can cancel before final payment).

You might get an offer for a down-sell with some credit or a "free" upgrade if cabin availability/shortage warrant it. The amount will depend on how "badly" they need your cabin. You don't have to pay for an upgrade unless the price is very good and the category to your liking but if they "have to" upgrade you, it will be free. This type of free upgrade with a GTY cabin has happened to us before.

As to which cruise will sell better is hard to predict. A little closer to time your TA can check on availability for each cruise to give you an idea of how well each one is selling. Also, you will have a better idea after the final payment for each cruise.

Grey, I have done 8, maybe more, X TAs. Celebrity TAs are rarely sold out.Real figures come from purser, not the front desk . I am on a guaranty on April 11, 15 Insignia Shanghai-LA .I had one offer, really lousy, down in bottom. One caveat to you if you go with O. only use an O top producing agent if you are interested in playing upgrade game Alert agent of your wishes. .Otherwise be satisfied with catagory G.you book. You can track O cabins on their site.Mine is nowhere near sold out.

Edited by zoncom

Greydog-

I wish you well in your quest for an up-sell, but if you are serious about switching cruises via an "offer" I think that you need to be a a great deal LESS SPECIFIC.

I won't pretend to have any knowledge of how Oceania forms their Offers, but I do know a great many people who have received them, and they universally say that the Offer Cruise is "the very last Itinerary that they would EVER have chosen for themselves".

That said, many who take the offers are eventually thrilled with the results, and we're just at the point of admitting now, how close we came to giving up super sexy Penthouse 7135 on the Riviera's 12 day maiden voyage, when they offered us a 26 day Transpacific Cruise at the same rate.

It was only our feeling for the Riviera (The Horners, Stan and I got to sign her keel) which kept us on the shorter trip. :D So do Dream on~

Edited by StanandJim

If it is the Trans Pacific on INSIGNIA May 2016 that is part of a round world voyage so preference goes to whole cruise pax first, then bb multi sector pax, then single sectors last . Also Insignia is R class boat 684 max pax so wouldn't hold my breath .

Grey, I have done 8, maybe more, X TAs. Celebrity TAs are rarely sold out.Real figures come from purser, not the front desk . I am on a guaranty on April 11, 15 Insignia Shanghai-LA .I had one offer, really lousy, down in bottom. One caveat to you if you go with O. only use an O top producing agent if you are interested in playing upgrade game Alert agent of your wishes. .Otherwise be satisfied with catagory G.you book. You can track O cabins on their site.Mine is nowhere near sold out.

Absolutely you are in a better position with a top producing agent. It makes a difference That is great advice

Thanks for the pertinent and insightful feedback. Since I'm semi-retired, the Papeete-LA itinerary was my only alternative calendar-wise to the '16 transoceanic we have booked. I expect to have a great time on Marina (likely much superior to spin in MSC Yacht Club a month ago).

I would not hold my breath. My experience with O has been more down sells that up sells. Last cruise we were offered a B3 to B1 upsell for $50. There is no real difference in a B3 vs a B1 and same for the A category as benefits of concierge are not worth the price (I will get an argument here??).