Which ship to Alaska ?

hcij2015

Want to do a 7 day round trip from either Vancouver or Seattle. This trip the ship is more important than the itinerary. Probably will get a suite.

Would liketo hear opinions on whether any of the ships doing the 7 day round trips are noteworthy for being.superior or inferior to the others.

Since you're saying that the ship is more important than the itinerary this time, then it would help to know what it is you are looking for in a ship.

Do you prefer smaller, more intimate, and easier to get around? Do you want a large ship with more to do? Do you want a choice of outdoor viewing areas?

Are you looking for more activities, or less? What kind of atmosphere do you seek?

Trip from Seattle can be more "bumpy" since it goes a bit outside of shelter...Vancouver departures stay inside the island of Vancouver...usually a bit smoother. Otherwise I like the mid-week leaving...fewer ships in port. (Have done both.)

That means Westerdam or Noordam from what I see. Is either of those better or worse?

Both ships are Vista class, so are about the same in size and layout.

I am particularly fond of the Noordam, as the Explorations Café is on the Promenade Deck, not sharing space in the Crow's Nest, as it is on the other Vista and Signature ships. Much better for each room that way.

There are also pieces of art that I particularly like on the Noordam, but that is a minor consideration.

If you have it down to those two ships, I would still pick by itinerary. That leaves your options open in case you change your mind on that.

I am particularly fond of the Noordam, as the Explorations Café is on the Promenade Deck, not sharing space in the Crow's Nest, as it is on the other Vista and Signature ships.

I'm just the opposite. I like the cafe up there in the Crow's Nest. Grabbing a cup of joe of taking in the views from up there is one of my favorite morning activities on HAL. All else being equal, I would book Westerdam for that very reason.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

Thanx for the suggestion. My bad. We need to leave on weekend.

That means Westerdam or Noordam from what I see. Is either of those better or worse?

... whichever you choose IMO you'll be pleased ... as janmcn mentioned above, the only "significant" difference is "Trip from Seattle can be more "bumpy" since it goes a bit outside of shelter." So if you're prone to sea sickness, you should give the edge to the Vancouver itinerary ...

Rod

Thanx for the suggestion. My bad. We need to leave on weekend. That means Westerdam or Noordam from what I see. Is either of those better or worse?

They are sister ships in the same class. We've been on the Noordam and quite enjoyed it. We are sailing on the Westerdam, visiting Alaska this coming June. Our TA recommended it over the Zaandam which also does a 7 day itinerary.

A significant difference is the cost of airfare and availability of flights to Vancouver BC versus Seattle.

HAL round-trips out of Seattle stop at Sitka, while round-trips out of Vancouver usually stop in Skagway or perhaps Haines. Also, if one sails out of Seattle then one gets an extra (albeit brief) stop in Victoria.

igraf

... whichever you choose IMO you'll be pleased ... as janmcn mentioned above, the only "significant" difference is "Trip from Seattle can be more "bumpy" since it goes a bit outside of shelter." So if you're prone to sea sickness, you should give the edge to the Vancouver itinerary ...

Rod

Edited by igraf

Hubby and I booked our first cruise on the Noordam leaving May 30th. We choose this because it was sailing the dates we wanted. Another deciding factor was that it left from Vancouver and would be taking the route between Vancouver Island and the Canadian coast. We thought it might be a smoother sailing than being on the open ocean. We are so excited we can hardly wait for our date to get here!!!

The only hic-up so far is that American/US Airways changed their flight schedule and we will get into Vancouver @ 1:30 PM on the 28th instead of 10:30 AM. Thank god we decided to fly a couple of days early!

HAL round-trips out of Seattle stop at Sitka, while round-trips out of Vancouver usually stop in Skagway or perhaps Haines. Also, if one sails out of Seattle then one gets an extra (albeit brief) stop in Victoria.

• Skagway has the White Pass railway, Yukon, Liarsville and the Red Onion.
  • You can get to Victoria from Vancouver via Ferry or Orca watch.
  • $50 for a shuttle between Vancouver and Seattle.

The cost of the bus shuttle for a couple is two round-trip tickets, but the more important negative factor is the four-hour ride each way. Just not my idea of having a good time.

igraf

• Skagway has the White Pass railway, Yukon, Liarsville and the Red Onion.
  • You can get to Victoria from Vancouver via Ferry or Orca watch.
  • $50 for a shuttle between Vancouver and Seattle.

I've sailed both the Westerdam and the Noordam, and I can say the Noordam is a particular favorite. We like the location of Explorations better. That difference aside, the Noordam and the Westie are pretty much the same ship. Faced with the same decision for our 7 days in Alaska this year, we picked the Westerdam for the itinerary, as we wanted to see Glacier Bay and have somehow managed to miss seeing that (up til now!)