Royal Princess - 2nd Cruise with Norovirus Outbreak

C-LAD

Second cruise in a row for the Royal Princess with a norovirus outbreak! Passengers on these ships continue to bypass hand sanitize stations, drop spoons into the food trays at the buffet and don't wash their hands on a regular basis. We need to start treating them like first graders or the outbreaks will continue!!

The hand sanitizers do nothing to prevent Noro. They help with bacterial infections, not viruses. I bypassed the hand sanitizer on my recent 15-day Grand cruise because I'm allergic to it. However, I washed my hands thoroughly before going to the buffet or dinner. Washing your hands is far more effective.

The reason why Noro or the flu spreads is because people self-medicate and don't quarantine themselves.

The hand sanitizers do nothing to prevent Noro. They help with bacterial infections, not viruses.
That should be "Most hand sanitizers do nothing to prevent Noro".

There are now some hand sanitizer products that contain ingredients that CAN kill the noro virus. Just that these products are relatively new and not yet widely distributed. You may need do some searching to find, but they are out there in the market place.

As to the hand sanitizer lotions used by any of the cruise companies.... I have no clue what is in them but I will assume they are still the older alcohol based lotions they have used for ages, which don't help control/kill the Noro virus. Until I hear to the contrary, I will continue to use my own hand sanitizer that I know does also kill the noro virus.

But of course even if you have a Noro killing hand sanitizer, won't help if the food you are eating has been infected by someone before you even get it :(.

Guess the best advice is, have your own virus killing hand sanitizer. And if there is a hint of Noro on board, avoid the self serve.

In many many cruises I only had it once. Princess.

I became a fanatic on researching sanitizers.

Yes they do matter.

My Doctor...who was dying of cancer then..still practicing...carried sanitizers with him daily. My infusion nurse swears by them. She is infusing people with weak immune systems due to having auto immune disease.

Those are people I know. They have medial degrees.I don't see why they would lie.

One medical theory is that just holding your hands under running water for 45 seconds washes the bacteria from your hands.

There is some debate now as to can it mutate and spread like flu.

I hope this thread stays friendly. And is a sharing of information. NOTHING ruins a cruise lIKE LAYING IN A BED AND STARING OUT AT ONE DIVI TREE for two days. And everyone who comes near you is in a Hazemat suit. And you are on vacation and you paid a lot of money and you are sicker than a DOG.

PLEASE..........ANY information .......post it. pro or con. and everyone be nice. YOU don't want to get it..............if you have not.

I sound silly. But it is important. I do the Clorox wipes. I use my own RR except in emergencies. I always use sanitizer. I pile it on. I take large bars of soap and put them in our RR. And use it. (also hand lotion. gets a little raw.)

I hope I am not tempting fate........have not had it since. Thank the Lord.

We are sailing next week. Not on the Royal.

Any New helpful advice serves everyone well. We all want to stay happy and enjoy our cruise.

Edited by AmberTeka

That should be "Most hand sanitizers do nothing to prevent Noro".

There are now some hand sanitizer products that contain ingredients that CAN kill the noro virus. Just that these products are relatively new and not yet widely distributed. You may need do some searching to find, but they are out there in the market place.

As to the hand sanitizer lotions used by any of the cruise companies.... I have no clue what is in them but I will assume they are still the older alcohol based lotions they have used for ages, which don't help control/kill the Noro virus. Until I hear to the contrary, I will continue to use my own hand sanitizer that I know does also kill the noro virus.

But of course even if you have a Noro killing hand sanitizer, won't help if the food you are eating has been infected by someone before you even get it :(.

Guess the best advice is, have your own virus killing hand sanitizer. And if there is a hint of Noro on board, avoid the self serve.

Could you look at the name of yours and post it? Thanks for your post. I will buy it pronto if I can find it in the States.

...There are now some hand sanitizer products that contain ingredients that CAN kill the noro virus. Just that these products are relatively new and not yet widely distributed. You may need do some searching to find, but they are out there in the market place...

The Purell that most of us buy in drugstores and supermarkets is 62% alcohol with no copper added. It kills bacteria but is not advertised as killing viruses. There is a type of Purell that has 70% alcohol with copper added; this version is advertised as also killing many viruses including Noro. The latter version, which I believe is called Purell Advanced, was used in the HC on the Golden last fall. Some people are allergic to copper, so may wonder why they have trouble with onboard Purell, but not at home.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I became a fanatic on researching sanitizers.

Yes they do matter.

My Doctor...who was dying of cancer then..still practicing...carried sanitizers with him daily. My infusion nurse swears by them. She is infusing people with weak immune systems due to having auto immune disease.

Those are people I know. They have medial degrees.I don't see why they would lie.

One medical theory is that just holding your hands under running water for 45 seconds washes the bacteria from your hands.

100% true.

But noro is a virus, not a bacteria.

Anti-bacteria sanitizers have no effect on a virus.

And it is not a theory. The purpose of washing your hands for 45 seconds with very warm water and soap is to wash the virus off of your hands and down the drain.

The Royal and Regal also have hand washing areas right before you walk into the Horizon Court. I'm not sure if any of the restaurants have them, but they all have bathrooms right outside the door. Hand washing IS the only real way to stop the spread. To not get noro, don't touch your face, mouth eyes, etc. For me that's the hardest thing to do, because I touch my face without even thinking about it. Purell (unless it is labeled for virus) is good for many things, but noro isn't one of them.

I just did a B2B on the Royal in January thay have a place to wash your Hans as

you enter the buffet. I used it all the time but most people just walk right by????

No one was sick when I was on the cruise Jan.8th to Jan.28,2015.

Tony

The Purell that most of us buy in drugstores and supermarkets is 62% alcohol with no copper added. It kills bacteria but is not advertised as killing viruses. There is a type of Purell that has 70% alcohol with copper added; this version is advertised as also killing many viruses including Noro. The latter version, which I believe is called Purell Advanced, was used in the HC on the Golden last fall. Some people are allergic to copper, so may wonder why they have trouble with onboard Purell, but not at home.

Correction: I double-checked, and Purell Advanced is 70% alcohol without copper gluconate; Purell Ultra is 70% alcohol WITH copper gluconate. The latter is the one advertised to kill Noro, and was used on the Golden last fall.

Could you look at the name of yours and post it? Thanks for your post. I will buy it pronto if I can find it in the States.
The product I use is called 'Hands First'. Unfortunately this is a small Australian company and I am not sure if they send OS. You can always try them though. ( http://www.handsfirst.com.au/ ) But that may not be necessary.

There are other products that may be easier to find in the USA that have the same active ingredients. My understanding is that the ingredients you need to look for are Benzalkonium chloride or Benzethonium chloride (the 2 are similar - there may be others but this is what I would look for). Wiki those 2 ingredients to read up on them if you like. Those are what makes the product more effective against viruses.

Yoyosma's post (#9) has linked to some product names that have the relevant ingredients. Those products might be easier to find in US.

Practical advice:

Its important to train yourself not to use your hands, especially your fingertips, to touch any surfaces on the ship that are touched by others. That means when walking up or down steps do it without touching the bannister. (If you must for balance - use your wrist for balance instead of grasping the bannister). Using your fingertip to press elevator buttons is asking for trouble. I bend my finger and use the knuckle.

Try not to use the public restrooms. If you must, use a tissue to touch any surfaces including the doors and then immediately discard the tissue.

Correction: I double-checked, and Purell Advanced is 70% alcohol without copper gluconate; Purell Ultra is 70% alcohol WITH copper gluconate. The latter is the one advertised to kill Noro, and was used on the Golden last fall.
Ryndam, you got a link to a product page for that Purell Ultra? I can't find anything about it (even at Purell's own web site. Discontinued maybe?). Some Google searches suggest it is/was Antimicrobial only.

I must say one of my biggest annoyances is the people who visit the 'restrooms' and can't be bothered to wash their hands.

We always try to avoid touching any rails if possible (not easy if rocking and rolling in bad weather) and are very conscious before entering any eateries.

Pete

We are newly elite, have to drop our rental off at latest 1pm, our delayed boarding is for 4.15 as we are on emerald, can we board earlier, say be there at 1.30 for first boarding? as preferred boarding and can we then go to the elite lounge?

THANK ALL OF YOU..............

We have a medical pharmacy in Jacksonville. ON MY WAY

I will thank all of you again when I am sitting in the sun............warm again.......at last.........and looking forward to dinner. Which I will be able to eat

I must say one of my biggest annoyances is the people who visit the 'restrooms' and can't be bothered to wash their hands.

We always try to avoid touching any rails if possible (not easy if rocking and rolling in bad weather) and are very conscious before entering any eateries.

Pete

After you wash your hands.....don't touch anything. Use a tissue to open the RR doors. I use my skirt if nothing else is there.

Everywhere. And the most contagious place in your cabin is Toilet flusher. or say they say and I believe it. or it has worked so far. Wipe it down with Clorox wipes. FIRST thing. then phone. door knobs. balcony too. takes a minute. Seems to be working.

A few minutes spent...then a week of living in The Caribbean life. yep. addicted to House Hunters International. Now I am going to be there! NOVO free God Willing. and I mean that. and thank him.

There are now some hand sanitizers that do kill Noro. I ordered one for my next cruise. Here is a link to a site called stop the flu that lists them and information about them. I found it interesting.

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-hand-sanitizers-kill-stomach-flu-viruses

I also saw this site and ordered 2 mini bottles of the Clorox Hand Sanitizing sprays to use on our cruise next week. I also carry Wet Ones with me for a quick hand wash when I can't get to a restroom right away. I am one of those people who must hold the handrails everywhere for balance - using my wrist would not work.

THANK ALL OF YOU..............

We have a medical pharmacy in Jacksonville. ON MY WAY

I will thank all of you again when I am sitting in the sun............warm again.......at last.........and looking forward to dinner. Which I will be able to eat

What is the name of the pharmacy in Jacksonville?

Hallidays, maybe? Do they have an antibacterial sanitizer?

On an episode of The Doctors recently, there was a discussion on hand washing and preventing transmission of illness. They made a point of stressing the importance of cleaning under your fingernails as that is where the germs still reside even after washing your hands, even mentioning false nails, long nails and nail polish hiding dirt and germs under your nails from view.

This is very true. Purell makes two formulations, regular Purell and Purell Instant Ultra. Purell Instant Ultra is the one that includes copper, and is the one that Princess uses:

http://www.drugs.com/otc/115038/pure...ant-ultra.html

Hand sanitizers with copper have been proven to kill norovirus:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265803.php

Be sure to monitor any skin reactions if you use the ship's hand sanitizer, however, because those with copper allergies may have a very bad reaction. I came home with hives and eczema after using the ship's hand sanitizer on the Caribbean Princess. While I will still use regular Purell while onboard, in the future my main defenses against noro will be frequent hand washing, especially immediately after returning to the cabin, and keeping my fingers and hands out of my mouth, nose, eyes and ears, which is how norovirus enters our bodies.

Edited by Mackenzie1

We are newly elite, have to drop our rental off at latest 1pm, our delayed boarding is for 4.15 as we are on emerald, can we board earlier, say be there at 1.30 for first boarding? as preferred boarding and can we then go to the elite lounge?

Yes.

But if boarding has started, you can check-in and then board the ship without the elite lounge being needed.