I've searched this forum & can't find an answer to my question!

kathy1305

If you are not going to make it to dinner in time then switch to AT. :)

No go to the buffet or specialty dining venues. Hy should you take up seats in Anytimie dining when you did not sign up for them. Why be impolite to even more people.

Colo Cruiser is suggesting to officially switch to AT, not sneak into it.

Colo Cruiser is suggesting to officially switch to AT, not sneak into it.

Really important point! Please do not sign up for Traditional and then switch back and forth with Anytime just because you have other plans once you get on the ship - it really does impact those who are designated as Anytime Diners.

And I make decisions [usually for other people] every day of my life so don't want to have to decide what time, where will I book or hope for the best. But to each their own. Also always seem to end up having to wait for ATD if I haven't booked sometimes even f I have.

I feel like that too. It's nice to know that we don't have to make that decision of where and when to go, and certainly not have to make that decision first thing in the morning and have to call the dine line just to ensure we're going to have a table at that time (I hate phones, so being away from them is an important part of vacation for me).

Usually my hubby will want to grab a mid-afternoon nosh so he won't get hungry too early for dinner, but he does that just about every day anyway to keep up his energy level. Usually we don't have port stops that are at night, but if so, we can eat there or return to the ship for dinner. So it's rare that we're not on the ship for meal time.

And it's rare that we wouldn't go to our assigned seating as we don't do specialty restaurants. A few cruises ago, there was one night out of 15 that our daughter felt iffy so we went to the Horizon Court instead. The next cruise we didn't clear the waitlist for traditional and found that half of our 14 nights we went to the Horizon instead.

And you shouldn't go to Anytime Dining unless you have signed up for it. It take the seat of someone who signed up for it, and then they may have to wait longer.

Amen, Jackie. I of my biggest complaints is the absolutely lousy job Princess does in monitoring the Anytime Dining. On Celebrity one must give his cabin number which is checked against the computer to ensure only legitimate diners enter the area.

We haven't eaten in traditional dining since our last trip on the Pacific where tables for two are available. Has the OP indicated what size table she'll occupy? I would rather eat in the buffet than take a chnce on bad tablemates at dinner. I can't imagine sitting with some of the people I've sat near in various dining rooms over the years. I'm not that much of a gambler.

Edited by BosoxI

Acually I never gave this much thought, either we come on time or not at all.....are you all saying that we should be notifying somone if we choose not to eatin the MDR?..are things delayed to see if we will be there? Somehow I don't think so....but if that is the case I would like to know

And, to add to what Pam stated.

If you decide to switch to Anytime, notify Princess now or the Matrie D the first day on the ship. If you leave your reservation in place while you just go to anytime, people at your table will suffer while waiting for you to show up.

Bob

Edited by LabGuy64

Acually I never gave this much thought, either we come on time or not at all.....are you all saying that we should be notifying somone if we choose not to eatin the MDR?..are things delayed to see if we will be there? Somehow I don't think so....but if that is the case I would like to know

Yes, the waiter will generally hold off on taking orders until the entire table is assembled. I've been at tables with the chronically late and once was late myself (through no fault of my own, I was nearly 15 minutes late to dinner one night, but as it was Italian Night, the rest of the table knew that no obstacle could keep me from Eggplant Parm, so they all were nice enough to wait for me!) and while most times, they don't delay too long, it's long enough to be noticeable. And not letting the rest of the table know is kinda rude -- these aren't strangers on a train; they're people you've been conversing with night after night. Common courtesy would dictate letting them know you weren't going to be joining the table one evening.

Yes, if you are late, your tablemates will be kept waiting until you arrive. If you have not notified anyone that you won't be there, they'll be kept waiting 15-20 minutes before going ahead. Your waitstaff will take care of the other tables first. If you have your own table with no one else, you don't have to notify the Maitre d' but it would be courteous to let them know. You can call the DINE line from any phone on the ship.

A couple of years ago, we were seated at a table for eight. The first night, everyone was there and we thought, "Great! This is going to be a fun table." The second night, one couple was almost 40 minutes late. We had started but our service was slowed down so that they could catch up. Dinner took well over two hours due to their lateness and we didn't get coffee. The third night, they were 30 minutes late. Same slow dinner. Fourth night, we told our waitstaff that we didn't want to wait for this couple and to serve our courses when ready. We did not want to be kept waiting by rude people. Again, they were very late. We got our dessert as they were getting their salad and after dessert, we all got up and said, "Good night," leaving the couple there. The fifth night, they were only 15 minutes late. The sixth night and from then on, they were more or less on time. :)

There are several ways you can let the MDR know that you will not be showing up for dinner (day of).

If you are in the dining room that serves breakfast or lunch, just let the head waiters know.

You can always call the DINE line and leave a message for your dining room.

Ask your table mates for a contact cabin and call them or leave a message.

Call the Customer Service Desk and give them the first names of your table mates (couple). They will be able to track down their cabin number and connect your call.

If you are up in the Horizon Court, sometimes your junior waiters are there. Or leave word with the Head Waiters.

Even with AnyTime dining, they wait for the table to be filled before starting to take orders.

I have a salt free diet and so choose to have Traditional Dining. Even when I order the night before, the wait/waitress waits until I am there before starting the service. This happened once on the last 15 day voyage I took. I had let my room mate know that I was going to be a few minutes late. No deal...She told our waitress...who made the decision to wait. She did take their orders, but the sorbet was melting by the time I arrived and it was served. I felt so guilty and "bad".

I have a salt free diet and so choose to have Traditional Dining. Even when I order the night before, the wait/waitress waits until I am there before starting the service.

Even if you were in Anytime, your salt free diet could be accomodated just as easily. The headwaiter would still work with you on your next evening's selections, your picks stored by your cabin number, and the next evening just tell your waitstaff that you have pre-ordered and what your cabin number is.

Amen, Jackie. I of my biggest complaints is the absolutely lousy job Princess does in monitoring the Anytime Dining. On Celebrity one must give his cabin number which is checked against the computer to ensure only legitimate diners enter the area.

On Princess it would be be even easier to check. A glance at your cruise card would show if you are in traditional or anytime.

On Princess it would be be even easier to check. A glance at your cruise card would show if you are in traditional or anytime.

Yes, and my wife will frequently show her card as a test to see the hostess' reaction. It's always been an "Are you serious?" look :confused:

A couple of years ago, we were seated at a table for eight. The first night, everyone was there and we thought, "Great! This is going to be a fun table." The second night, one couple was almost 40 minutes late. We had started but our service was slowed down so that they could catch up. Dinner took well over two hours due to their lateness and we didn't get coffee. The third night, they were 30 minutes late. Same slow dinner. Fourth night, we told our waitstaff that we didn't want to wait for this couple and to serve our courses when ready. We did not want to be kept waiting by rude people. Again, they were very late. We got our dessert as they were getting their salad and after dessert, we all got up and said, "Good night," leaving the couple there. The fifth night, they were only 15 minutes late. The sixth night and from then on, they were more or less on time. :)

Great story, Pam! Duly noted. ;) We are almost always the first ones to the table because DH is serious about dinner time. You know the old saying, "Call me anything but don't call me late for supper." :) DH also hates to stand in a line, so TD works best for us. Our table group on this last cruise was great. Each couple (of three) had a reservation at one of the specialties for a particular night, so we did have some people missing from time to time. It was not a problem since we all knew when the others would be gone. Our junior waiter was always in the buffet, and he would tell us who was or was not going to be at dinner and when, on one occasion, the wife half of a couple was going to be late. That's the thing I love about TD, the sense that it's one big happy family!

Edited by shredie

Yes, and my wife will frequently show her card as a test to see the hostess' reaction. It's always been an "Are you serious?" look :confused:

I have been on cruises where for the first couple of days they will check cards to properly direct confused passengers. After that...it is hit or mostly miss.

Even with AnyTime dining, they wait for the table to be filled before starting to take orders.

The one time we had anytime dining (didn't clear the waitlist for late traditional), we were seated with some passengers who had already placed their orders on two occasions (we ate maybe seven times in the MDR on this cruise, and the rest of our 14-day cruise, ate dinner in the Horizon). It made for an awkward dinner for the whole table.

The one time we had anytime dining (didn't clear the waitlist for late traditional)' date=' we were seated with some passengers who had already placed their orders on [i']two[/i] occasions (we ate maybe seven times in the MDR on this cruise, and the rest of our 14-day cruise, ate dinner in the Horizon). It made for an awkward dinner for the whole table.

I guess everyone has a different experience. Once I waited for 45 minutes at an anytime dining table for them to fill the table for 8. Then dinner took forever. My experiences with anytime dining have never been good (even when booked in a suite and could make reservations for literally anytime). I have known others who love anytime. Glad Princess offers both.

Interesting.....I had no idea....and noone ever mentioned it.....we usually do not come for formal nights...and to be honest we don't cruise THAT much so, we are not that plugged in to the flow of the ships...but, it's good to know...I would never intentionally cause a table to have to wait.

There are several ways you can let the MDR know that you will not be showing up for dinner (day of).

If you are in the dining room that serves breakfast or lunch, just let the head waiters know.

You can always call the DINE line and leave a message for your dining room.

Ask your table mates for a contact cabin and call them or leave a message.

Call the Customer Service Desk and give them the first names of your table mates (couple). They will be able to track down their cabin number and connect your call.

If you are up in the Horizon Court, sometimes your junior waiters are there. Or leave word with the Head Waiters.

I have a salt free diet and so choose to have Traditional Dining. Even when I order the night before, the wait/waitress waits until I am there before starting the service. This happened once on the last 15 day voyage I took. I had let my room mate know that I was going to be a few minutes late. No deal...She told our waitress...who made the decision to wait. She did take their orders, but the sorbet was melting by the time I arrived and it was served. I felt so guilty and "bad".

These comments confirm what DW and I learned years ago. When having supper on a ship, it is best to have a table for two. There's no way I would tolerate a forty minute wait and then run the real risk of having to watch some terrible table manners or listen to boring conversation ad infinitum. We are quite comfortable living in our own little dining world and meeting interesting people in other venues. Eating and enjoying my meal are too important for me to risk what some of you have described. :(