Philippine citizen with US Green card Closed loop cruise to mexico question

vegas2k

Hi all, I have read forums ad nauseum, and I am finding that I am not able to get a distinct answer.

Here is my situation :

My wife and I are set to travel soon on a closed loop cruise departing from San Francisco down california coast, one stop in Ensenada, Mexico on Princess cruises. I am a US Citizen, she is a Permanent resident and has her green card, which doesn't expire until 2020.

Here are the things I have learned so far :

1: The green card is ok for her to re-enter the US, so that is not a problem.

2: The mexican consulate says the following currently, at http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/nuevayork/index.php/component/content/article/228 :

Effective March 1st, 2010, all US and Canadian Citizens are now required to present the following valid documents when entering Mexico:

US Citizens traveling by air, land or sea to Mexico are required to present:

U.S. Passport, or.

US Passport Card.

US Permanent Residents traveling by air, land or sea to Mexico are required to present:

Permanent Resident Card, or

Temporary Permanent Resident Card expired, plus the Notice of Action (I-797 Form), indicating that the status has been extended, or

U.S. Immigrant Visa, or

U.S. Re-Entry Permit (I-327 Form), or

Transportation Letter issue by the U. S. Government, or

Alien Documentation, Identification and Telecommunication Stamp (ADIT) on the passport or on the I-94 Form, or

U.S. Refugee Travel Document.

But on another page on the site it says :

Effective March 1st 2010, all US Citizens are required to present U. S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card when entering Mexico (traveling by air, land or sea).

US Permanent Residents traveling by air, land or sea to Mexico are required to present a valid Permanent Resident Card. Plus a valid and not expired passport or travel document. If you do not have that card consult other documentation also accepted to prove the US Permanent Residence status (Link).

they appear to contradict each other. I also cannot get a firm answer from the consulate when calling.

princess cruiselines says

U.S. Permanent Residents are required to present a valid permanent resident document. See below for acceptable documents:

Permanent Resident Card (ARC/I-55 card)

Temporary ARC/I-55 card and valid government issued photo identification

Expired ARC/I-55 card and form I-797 and valid government issued photo identification

Passport with “ARC” stamp in the passport

If air travel to or from the U.S. is required, please verify with your airline carrier if a passport will be required to fly.

but no air travel here. I do understand it may be ideal to bring her Phillipine passport, but it's expired, and at this point too late to get it renewed for the cruise.

I just find too many forum posts with conflicting info. If I follow the one Mexican consulate page and the princess info I quoted, she should be good to go. When I called Princess, they said that they will not stop her from boarding. I don't know if immigration will stop her though. travel agent seems wishy washy as well.

thanks, I hope this isn't too wordy. I figure the more detail I give the better. and maybe this could help others in the future. thanks!

Possibly "arrival by sea" is meant to cover those who then stay in the country, not re-board a cruise ship to continue a journey.

Sorry it is too late to renew her passport. Certainly anyone not living in the country which that person is a citizen in should always have a valid passport available.

Friend's husband is a Green Card holder with an expired Dutch passport. He went to the Dutch Consulate before their last cruise (3 day out of Los Angeles) for a new passport.

Have you contacted her consulate? They might be able to expedite her passport.

Edited by SadieN

I called a friend at ICE in Philly.

Her permanent residence card should be sufficient, however without a corresponding valid passport she may be selected for extra scrutiny/document review.

He recommends renewing the passport if you can to have it as a secondary document, as well as bringing any US Based identification she has either way (driver's license, etc).

Note that the mexican consulate site only applies for entry into Mexico when checked, not the US. They do not typically check immigration when departing a cruise ship in Ensenada (I suppose they could)

Her permanent residence card should be sufficient, however without a corresponding valid passport she may be selected for extra scrutiny/document review.

He recommends renewing the passport if you can to have it as a secondary document, as well as bringing any US Based identification she has either way (driver's license, etc).

Note that the mexican consulate site only applies for entry into Mexico when checked, not the US. They do not typically check immigration when departing a cruise ship in Ensenada (I suppose they could)

We've never had to do anything to reboard in Ensenada other than pass through Princess security.

Possibly "arrival by sea" is meant to cover those who then stay in the country, not re-board a cruise ship to continue a journey.

Sorry it is too late to renew her passport. Certainly anyone not living in the country which that person is a citizen in should always have a valid passport available.

the cruise came, and she just forgot that it was expired. Philippine passports only good for 5 years. pretty short.

we plan on renewing it very soon. but we won't get it back in time, and from what I am seeing, her consulate does not expedite.

I would contact Princess directly and ask. You may need to call a couple of times to get someone who knows.

called twice, both times they said I am good as far as princess is concerned. but they said to ask consulates about their rules.

Was required to show passport and green card on January closed loop Mexican Riviera cruise.

more details on this please? you were not allowed to board without the passport? which cruiseliner? other info?

thanks all. I will make a few more calls to princess...figure can't hurt to talk to a few more reps.

Ensenada has nothing to see anyways, stay on the ship

can you technically get on the ship in San francisco, and just not get off on Ensenada? when do the travel docs actually get checked? at least it's not a total loss for her if she can at least stay on the ship in Ensenada.

can you technically get on the ship in San francisco, and just not get off on Ensenada? when do the travel docs actually get checked? at least it's not a total loss for her if she can at least stay on the ship in Ensenada.

Does not matter if she gets off the ship or not.

Too bad Princess doesn't do the same Cheese Tour offered by Carnival.

I was asked for my passport by Princess contractor on checking in at San Pedro in addition to green card when checking in for Mexican Rivera cruise. On disembarkation at San Pedro was also required to provide both documents. No fingerprinting or photo taken. Agent indicated that it was not required as cruise was closed loop. The non-US passenger line was almost non-existent. No waiting whatsoever, very different from US line.

Edited by kiwimum

• 1 month later...

Hi, im going on a 7day cruise from long beach to mexico this month... And i have the same exact situation with your wife. My philippine passport got expired. I have a permanent resident card with expiration date: 2021

Did your wife able to cruise to mexico? I renewed my philippine passport last february but until now, i havent got it yet. Can i cruise with my green card and driver's license? Thanks.

Hi, im going on a 7day cruise from long beach to mexico this month... And i have the same exact situation with your wife. My philippine passport got expired. I have a permanent resident card with expiration date: 2021

Did your wife able to cruise to mexico? I renewed my philippine passport last february but until now, i havent got it yet. Can i cruise with my green card and driver's license? Thanks.

Here is the problem. None US citizens need a valid passport from their country if citizenship before boarding the ship. The valid passport is a requirement when visiting foreign countries. Just because there is no face to face interview with immigration officials at the ports you are visiting, that does not mean it is not checked.

Have you ever noticed people either in uniform or civilian dress with briefcases waiting to board the ship. These individuals are immigration officials from the country you are visiting.

On the way back, CBP officers will check your passport to ensure that as a legal resident of the US, you have not violated any laws, such as visiting Cuba. But that is a different topic on itself.

An additional thing to point out, some countries may require a visa for citizens of certain countries.

Hi all, I have read forums ad nauseum, and I am finding that I am not able to get a distinct answer.

Here is my situation :

My wife and I are set to travel soon on a closed loop cruise departing from San Francisco down california coast, one stop in Ensenada, Mexico on Princess cruises. I am a US Citizen, she is a Permanent resident and has her green card, which doesn't expire until 2020.

Here are the things I have learned so far :

1: The green card is ok for her to re-enter the US, so that is not a problem.

2: The mexican consulate says the following currently, at http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/nuevayork/index.php/component/content/article/228 :

But on another page on the site it says :

they appear to contradict each other. I also cannot get a firm answer from the consulate when calling.

princess cruiselines says

but no air travel here. I do understand it may be ideal to bring her Phillipine passport, but it's expired, and at this point too late to get it renewed for the cruise.

I just find too many forum posts with conflicting info. If I follow the one Mexican consulate page and the princess info I quoted, she should be good to go. When I called Princess, they said that they will not stop her from boarding. I don't know if immigration will stop her though. travel agent seems wishy washy as well.

thanks, I hope this isn't too wordy. I figure the more detail I give the better. and maybe this could help others in the future. thanks!

Help pls...

Here is an update : Based on much research and advice, this is what happened. We decided to go on the cruise. we decided that if she was denied entrance to the ship, she would hang out with family in SF for the week. However, she was allowed on. Here is the sequence of events :

We arrived at the port, and the initial princess employee checked that we had documentation. I showed my passport, and my wife showed her green card. We went in, and got in line to check in. They scanned my passport, and the lady wasn't sure what to do with my wife's green card, and a supervisor told her to type in the date from the green card in, and it was accepted. I guess it is all electronic. We boarded the ship. When we got off in Mexico, there was only a dog to sniff for food. Then on our first arrival in US soil, which was San Diego in our case, immigration checked my passport and they checked her green card. After that we just got off at each US port. No issues at all. We will still renew her PI passport, because she needs it to go back home in a trip next year. definitely won't be letting passports expire anymore again though to be safe!

Help pls...

I hope this may help you and some future cruisers in a very similar position as ours. that is, a closed loop cruise, cruiser is a Philippine citizen and US green card holder, with an expired PI passport(they didn't even want to see it since it is expired and invalid).

Edited by vegas2k

Here is an update : Based on much research and advice, this is what happened. We decided to go on the cruise. we decided that if she was denied entrance to the ship, she would hang out with family in SF for the week. However, she was allowed on. Here is the sequence of events :

We arrived at the port, and the initial princess employee checked that we had documentation. I showed my passport, and my wife showed her green card. We went in, and got in line to check in. They scanned my passport, and the lady wasn't sure what to do with my wife's green card, and a supervisor told her to type in the date from the green card in, and it was accepted. I guess it is all electronic. We boarded the ship. When we got off in Mexico, there was only a dog to sniff for food. Then on our first arrival in US soil, which was San Diego in our case, immigration checked my passport and they checked her green card. After that we just got off at each US port. No issues at all. We will still renew her PI passport, because she needs it to go back home in a trip next year. definitely won't be letting passports expire anymore again though to be safe!

I hope this may help you and some future cruisers in a very similar position as ours. that is, a closed loop cruise, cruiser is a Philippine citizen and US green card holder, with an expired PI passport(they didn't even want to see it since it is expired and invalid).

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. You just dont know how worried and anxious i am since our cruise will be next week (long beach-mexico). Your reply made my day. :) I can sleep better now. LOL. Thank you so once again :)

Ensenada has nothing to see anyways, stay on the ship

Staying on the ship or getting off is irrelevant. That same argument has been made very often by passengers boarding in Seattle for a cruise to Alaska when they are denied boarding due to lack of a Canadian visa (it is required for passengers traveling on a foreign passport from some countries such as Mexico, China and a number of others.) They say "But I won't get off the ship in Vancouver!" but the problem is that they are in Canadian waters long before they reach Vancouver. The same thing would apply to Ensenada, the ship is in Mexican waters long before it reaches the port.

So the problem would be that the OP would probably not even be allowed to board the ship!

Tom

So the problem would be that the OP would probably not even be allowed to board the ship!

Tom

as I have stated a few posts ago, luckily, a Filipino citizen only needs the US green card on the closed loop cruise(at least per Princess policy, which probably follows immigration rules I assume)

Huh?

you can get really good, and cheap fish tacos in Ensenada for one(and probably cheap and good other mexican food too). and some pharmaceuticals and Cuban cigars if you wish too haha....not that I condone that or anything...