UPSALE! 3rd times a charm!

HokiePog,

Goodmorning!

We book through HAL,mand out of 9 cruises so far this is the first time for a upsale. Did 24 day on the NA in 2013 no upsale, was told because those cruises are always booked full.

Denise

Thanks! Enjoy!

WOW every body, we have received our 3rd upsale from our VA Verandah 8028 which we were very happy with considering our trip on the NA to Europe we were in VA 6054 and loved it. But we got SS6056 right next to our old cabin prior and could not be more happy! Upsale started at 1,199 pp, next was 899 pp and now 349pp! I snagged it!

Will be waving from our balcony at sail away! I will be holding my IPAD to watch us with!

Denise

we are such novices and just head about upsales. how do we find one? our trip is april 19. is it posted on HAL website or thru a travel agent or what?

we are such novices and just head about upsales. how do we find one? our trip is april 19. is it posted on HAL website or thru a travel agent or what?

No, if they are available they will be sent directly to you from hal, if you booked direct thru hal. If you booked thru a ta it will come from the ta.

Yesterday must have been a busy upsell day. We were in SY 6108 but were called with our choice of 4 Neptune Suites for $299 per person. Ended up with aft wrap 4183. We are very excited!

Wow, welcome Azcats to Cruise Critic and the world of up sells. Congraulations on snagging an aft wrap Suite. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Well today's the day we start vacation! Early flight out of our home town San Diego! Great weather here and at FLL.

Will definitely enjoy our suite!

Just excited to be back on the Nieuw on Sunday!

Will be at sail away and this time we will be there for our

Sail Way😄

Happy Sailing

Denise

Well today's the day we start vacation! Early flight out of our home town San Diego! Great weather here and at FLL.

Sail Way😄

Happy Sailing

Denise

Bob Voyage! Have a wonderful cruise.

Having never played this game before, I need some advise. We're booked in an AA Vista on the Volendam cruise around Australia. We have an assigned cabin. We would certainly entertain an upsell offer for a Neptune but heard that we would only be offered an A category upsell and it could be anywhere on the ship. Do upsells only go up one category? We're on the Port side and as close to mid ship as we can get. Our TA has a "do not upgrade" on our booking. I guess because she knows we want Port and mid-ship. Since this cruise is likely to be fully booked, is it even worth purchasing the difference between an AA and an A Vista so that we would be able to be in the queue for any last minute offers for a Neptune? We would move to a Neptune on either side of the ship and just about any location....... Any advise from you long term HAL cruisers?

Karen

Sail Way

Happy Sailing

Denise

Have a great time :)

Having never played this game before, I need some advise. We're booked in an AA Vista on the Volendam cruise around Australia. We have an assigned cabin. We would certainly entertain an upsell offer for a Neptune but heard that we would only be offered an A category upsell and it could be anywhere on the ship. Do upsells only go up one category? We're on the Port side and as close to mid ship as we can get. Our TA has a "do not upgrade" on our booking. I guess because she knows we want Port and mid-ship. Since this cruise is likely to be fully booked, is it even worth purchasing the difference between an AA and an A Vista so that we would be able to be in the queue for any last minute offers for a Neptune? We would move to a Neptune on either side of the ship and just about any location....... Any advise from you long term HAL cruisers?

Karen

how well are the Neptunes selling? Who told you that you would only be offered the A? what is the price difference between the A and AA?

I know that the A's would have first round but I would think it would go to AA's too. Sometimes though, if there are just a few Neptune Suites left the offer doesn't go out across the board. Some TA's, PCC's have connections and can get them before the offer goes out.

There's no rhyme or reason to the upsell fairy - mind you, the more Neptunes that are available, the better the opportunity. On a ship like the Volendam there aren't that many.

Karen

It seems to me that you got some bad information. I think you did right in marking your reservation "do not upgrade" if you are satisfied with the location, as otherwise HAL could move you "up" one or two levels on their rating system to a cabin that you might not be happy with. I just did this on my Maasdam cruise in a "B" category, as I like my location better than any of the "A"s.

While HAL will now not offer you a free upgrade, they will still email you an offer for a "paid upgrade" (often called an "upsell" on these message boards) to a Neptune Suite. As already mentioned, there are not many Neptune cabins (about 33 as I recall) on this class of HAL ship, so getting an upsell to them happens far less frequently than on the larger ships.

Also, as you surmised, the Neptune cabins are all midship and in fairly good locations, so the risk of getting a "bad" location with one of them is minimal.

Hope this helps.

DaveOKC

just got an upsell offer for our Maasdam April 17th cruise for $449/person from CQ oceanview to lanai. That was only $50 cheaper then full price so I declined. Do they ever send more upgrade offers if you respond to one and turn it down?

just got an upsell offer for our Maasdam April 17th cruise for $449/person from CQ oceanview to lanai. That was only $50 cheaper then full price so I declined. Do they ever send more upgrade offers if you respond to one and turn it down?

I'm not sure I understand. If you aren't interested you do not need to decline. No response is required. There may or may not be more depending on if others accepted. Hal has a point at which they decide not to go below.

I'm not sure I understand. If you aren't interested you do not need to decline. No response is required. There may or may not be more depending on if others accepted. Hal has a point at which they decide not to go below.

I was curious if they had Vista suites for offer and if our Beverage Package would go away.

I was curious if they had Vista suites for offer and if our Beverage Package would go away.

If you get a "paid upgrade" offer from HAL, your Beverage Package and any other items you got with your booking would stay. I still would confirm this at the time with HAL however, just to be safe.

You would not get the double Mariner Days credit for booking a suite however.

Edited by DaveOKC

Thanks everyone! My mother really wanted a balcony, having never had one. We called to see the price difference 3 days ago and it was 800.00 more. Three days later the magical email appeared! Hope I can keep the secret! Lol! She is going to be shocked!

If you get a "paid upgrade" offer from HAL, your Beverage Package and any other items you got with your booking would stay. I still would confirm this at the time with HAL however, just to be safe.

You would not get the double Mariner Days credit for booking a suite however.

About the double Mariner days. If you paid full price for a Signature suite, then purchased an upsell, would you get the double days?

About the double Mariner days. If you paid full price for a Signature suite, then purchased an upsell, would you get the double days?

Yes - I have done this several times. The issue is, that the Signature Suite qualifies for the Double Mariner Days anyway. If you went from any "non-suite" to any "suite", you would not.

DaveOKC